Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Fees for a change or cancellation:

• There are fees for some changes and cancellations, so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:15 pm

Booking Lufthansa Award on united - luggage fees waiver

I have MP explorer card and I booked one domestic award LAX-ANC using LH miles on UA. I had used the MP explorer card to pay for the fees.

Before flying I had confirmed with UA that I will get the free checked bag but when I reached the airport the agent was not aware if this benefit was available on partner awards. After searching and printing my receipt she was not able to find my credit card number on the LH receipt and hence informed me that she cannot help me and I will have to pay the baggage fees.

On my return flight the agent at the airport mentioned that this benefit was available only on UA awards and hence she would not be able to help me either. Had anyone had this issue before?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by domino007
I have MP explorer card and I booked one domestic award LAX-ANC using LH miles on UA. I had used the MP explorer card to pay for the fees.

Before flying I had confirmed with UA that I will get the free checked bag but when I reached the airport the agent was not aware if this benefit was available on partner awards. After searching and printing my receipt she was not able to find my credit card number on the LH receipt and hence informed me that she cannot help me and I will have to pay the baggage fees.

On my return flight the agent at the airport mentioned that this benefit was available only on UA awards and hence she would not be able to help me either. Had anyone had this issue before?
Was your Mileage Plus account number in the reservation?

Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Was your Mileage Plus account number in the reservation?

Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
Yes - it was there - I had made that update.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
1) As a Gold, when refunding an award using the 24 hour rule, should I expect to get back the $25 fee for a booking inside 21 days, or not?

2) If I book an award for domestic saver F and then later add an LH TATL F segment if and when it opens close to departure, will I be charged a $25 change fee (plus the new taxes) or the $100 redeposit fee b/c I'd be changing award types?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Was this change fee correct?

I am Gold status.

I had coach award tickets, HNL-ZUR, via LAX and FRA (latter flights on LH).

Business on the LH segments opened up, happily paid the miles and $25 x 2.
HNL-LAX unavailable in first, and they wouldn't wait list because "part of trip on LH. But, keep checking back."

Next day, the seats were there in first, but the agent insisted I pay 2 x $25 again. In context, not a big deal, but this seems incorrect; no different than a wait list clearing.

Any thoughts--was the second 2x $25 right?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Change fees are per change, so yes, this is correct. A nice agent might have waived it, but technically they shouldn't have.

However as gold you should only be charged a fee for this is it's less than 21 days before departure - is it?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by docbert
Change fees are per change, so yes, this is correct. A nice agent might have waived it, but technically they shouldn't have.

However as gold you should only be charged a fee for this is it's less than 21 days before departure - is it?
Thanks for the response; yes, inside 21 days.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hawaiisloth
I am Gold status.

I had coach award tickets, HNL-ZUR, via LAX and FRA (latter flights on LH).

Business on the LH segments opened up, happily paid the miles and $25 x 2.
HNL-LAX unavailable in first, and they wouldn't wait list because "part of trip on LH. But, keep checking back."

Next day, the seats were there in first, but the agent insisted I pay 2 x $25 again. In context, not a big deal, but this seems incorrect; no different than a wait list clearing.

Any thoughts--was the second 2x $25 right?

Thanks.
They should have allowed you to waitlist for HNL-LAX, in which case there would have been no change fee when the waitlist cleared.

The "no waitlisting when there are partner segments" is complete bs.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kacee
The "no waitlisting when there are partner segments" is complete bs.
Yes - there is no waitlisting for partner segements, but you can absolutely waitlist for UA segments when there are partner segments n the itinerary.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
1) As a Gold, when refunding an award using the 24 hour rule, should I expect to get back the $25 fee for a booking inside 21 days, or not?

2) If I book an award for domestic saver F and then later add an LH TATL F segment if and when it opens close to departure, will I be charged a $25 change fee (plus the new taxes) or the $100 redeposit fee b/c I'd be changing award types?

Thanks in advance
Bump -- Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:25 am

Lufthansa - changing reservation/ticket into earlier flight

Hi,

Did anyone of You tried to change reservation of ticket for Lufthansa into ealier?
I haven't done it before, that's why I'm asking.

I heard that it's possible to ask at the airport about:
- possibility to change reservation into ealier flight
- ask to contact with us or sign into 'reservation list' of people who are waiting to get to this earleir flight

If anyone of You have done it before?
Does it really work like that?

Thank You in advance for answering
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Since the partner flights have to be using saver inventory--there literally is no standard award inventory for them--it isn't a problem.
(While logged in as Premier Silver: )

If I search flights from LAX to AES (in Norway) on any date, I see (and can select) 150k each way Standard flights, even though it includes intra-Europe SK (SAS Scandinavian) and/or LH (Lufthansa) segments. (I haven't actually tried to really book, but I sure can get as far as inputting my gender and stuff like that.)

So is this phantom availability, or uabomb.com not knowing what is allowed or isn't, or has this recently changed?

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 1, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by sdsearch
(While logged in: )

If I search flights from LAX to AES (in Norway) on any date, I see (and can select) 150k each way Standard flights, even though it includes intra-Europe SK (SAS Scandinavian) and/or LH (Lufthansa) segments. (I haven't actually tried to really book, but I sure can get as far as inputting my gender and stuff like that.)

So is this phantom availability, or uabomb.com not knowing what is allowed or isn't, or has this recently changed?
Yes, just noticed this myself last night. This is a new "feature" that could be of some help once in a while. Or not. I haven't seen last-second partner availability open up similarly to UA metal. Then again, I haven't spent much time looking either.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

If the UA leg is in standard, everything will show in standard.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

The partner flights will not show up on that view unless they have saver availability, regardless of whether the award is listed as standard or saver. It's the UA flights which have standard availability. There is still no such thing as standard partner availability, unfortunately.

You can book these--in fact, I've had several booked recently while waiting for saver to open up--but just realize you're getting the partner in saver and the UA in standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.