Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United/Uber relationship [DISCUSSION ONLY]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United/Uber relationship [DISCUSSION ONLY]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by flyinbob
As Uber vehicles are simple maintained personal vehicles
Not an entirely true statement. You're refering to UberX/UberXL. Uber offers a few other services: Uber Black/SUV and Uber Taxi, which provide vehicles with LY and TX plates, respectively. I've never tried to use X/XL to go to ORD, and I know they're not even options on the app from ORD. As for the rest of the city, yes X/XL is a legal gray area.

As for usage, I use Black every time I go to the airport (unless I take the L). I'll also use it to go home if the taxi line is long.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
As far as I know, in many states (including IL, as in ORD) it is illegal to operate a vehicle for hire unless they have livery license plates. As Uber vehicles are simple maintained personal vehicles, do they have livery plates? I haven't looked, but it adds even more legal questions to the mix.
It's a bit more complex than that - UberX is not yet illegal in Illinois, approved in the city of Chicago, and banned at ORD and MDW under a rule that hasn't taken effect yet and that ban can be waived by the transportation commissioner.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Sykes
The bigger problem with SFO is in the other direction--you don't know if an UberX driver is willing to drop off at SFO until you talk to them. UberX drivers are not required to accept fares to SFO because of the legal status.
This is not true. Any UberX can drop off at SFO; it's pickups that are limited to those with a TCP.

Also, drivers only have one button to cancel a ride after having accepted it: the no-show button. Using that button when a customer isn't actually a no-show is a good way for a driver to get ejected from the UberX program.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
Originally Posted by goalie
UA Insider has announced that United has established a relationship with Uber and that relationship has been incorporated into both the iPhone and Android mobile apps.

This new thread is for discussing the relationship between United and Uber and for asking questions/voicing concerns about that relationship. Questions about Uber in general should be asked in the TravelBuzz forum and questions about the functionality of the new feature on the app should be asked in the corresponding iPhone and Android app threads (corresponding links are at the end of this post)

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
-----

Uber TravelBuzz thread

United iPhone app thread

United Android app thread
Linking two iconic brands - one old (UA) and one new (Uber) on the app is stroke of genius and does nothing more than provide UA customers an additional travel option to make it to their ultimate destination. Great work.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Lol, thanks. I'll take an actual taxi that doesn't put the financial risks of accidents on the driver.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

In today’s United mobile app update for both iOS and Android, we added new functionality to view Uber transportation services directly through the United app, making United the only airline partner to offer this technology with Uber at this time. We are partnering with Uber to offer a relevant and useful ground transportation tool to help make the day-of-travel experience with United even more convenient.

Here are the key details to know:
  • Uber 101: Uber is a dispatch and payment service for taxis and other car services. Transportation and vehicle options vary by each city, but typically range from a taxi, Black Car (sedan), SUV (seats 6 people), LUX (luxury vehicle) or uberX (ride-share).
  • How it works: The new Uber feature can be accessed through the app’s menu on the top left-hand corner, or directly from a reservation card. Using this feature you’ll be able to see the time estimate for a car to arrive to pick you up, a cost estimate for a ride to the airport, and the car types available to you in your local city (most cities will offer options of Black Car/private car or taxi). Upon selection of a ride, the information will be transferred to the Uber app if you have it installed or to the Uber website to complete your transportation transaction.
  • Uber handles the money: When completing an Uber transaction via the Uber app or website you’ll need to sign in to your existing Uber account or enroll with Uber. Payment will be handled by Uber with the exception of one service type in Manhattan (uberT) where payment is handled through the driver.
  • Riding with uberX: uberX is a ride-sharing service through Uber in select cities. Given the different and evolving regulations of transportation services in cities across our global network, Uber and United will only display in our app services approved by each city and their local transportation authorities.
  • Uber is global: This app feature will be available globally, and Uber is currently active in over 128 cities and 36 countries.

If you’re new to Uber, for a limited time you’ll be able to earn 1,000 MileagePlus award miles when you complete your first Uber transaction via the United app. We hope many of you will find this new feature useful if you find yourself needing a lift, and as always, please send us feedback via the “app feedback” feature in the menu options to let us know what you think.

UA Insider
Shouldn't the part I bolded read, to/from the airport? I hope that the UA App is not only for rides to the airport.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Lol, thanks. I'll take an actual taxi that doesn't put the financial risks of accidents on the driver.
Huh?? Uber provides commercial liability insurance for every Uber ride.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Shouldn't the part I bolded read, to/from the airport? I hope that the UA App is not only for rides to the airport.
My guess is that the omission of "from" is intentional.

Using Uber from the airport is a lot more difficult since many of the drivers are not approved to pick-up from the airport. It varies quite a bit based on local laws, IIRC some places even make it difficult for some flavors of Uber (usually UberX) to drop-off at the airprot.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:52 pm

I'm interested in AMS & I think Uber Black is ok there. I just want to make sure that I can use the UA App for rides from the airport.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, UA PLAT, AmEx Plat
I am a frequent Uber Black user, always from home -> LAX, and I used to take it from LAX -> home, however with Uber being banned from the terminal, it takes them about 15-20 minutes to show up, so I switched back to cab.
A convenience of having a button within United app has virtually zero value.
This also co-insides with Uber rate increase (at least in LAX market)...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by mduell
Huh?? Uber provides commercial liability insurance for every Uber ride.
Yes, they insure the fare. They don't insure the driver or vehicle at anyother time and if a driver get's busted by their insurance company for being an uber driver without commercial insurance, they won't cover the accident either. Uber is forcing a driver to accept an incredible financial risk. Their model is evil and they are a terrible company. Real forward looking for UA to get involved with this doomed venture run by dereg nut jobs. A real vision into Smisek's head when it comes to his whining about the consumer market regulations put on airlines. Small wonder why municipalities and states will hopefully soon kill this taxi in all but name idea.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223
My guess is that the omission of "from" is intentional.

Using Uber from the airport is a lot more difficult since many of the drivers are not approved to pick-up from the airport. It varies quite a bit based on local laws, IIRC some places even make it difficult for some flavors of Uber (usually UberX) to drop-off at the airprot.
To pick up at SFO, you need a TCP license, which most (all?) uber black cars have but only some uberx drivers have earned.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Originally Posted by UnitedFFinAsia
I'll take the 1,000 miles.
Just want to point out that if you are a first time Uber user and you select the UA miles you forgo the first time Uber credit. Right now there are both a $20 and a $30 first time user credit.

Even if the $30 credit is gone (was available 4 days ago when I signed up), I can't imagine someone giving up $20 for 1,000 miles......
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:09 pm

I did not use the embedded UA uber app, but...

Departing SFO today

I took the parking shuttle to the Long Term Lot (NOT Lot D!).

Stop 5 (the first stop in the parking lot) is right by the cell phone waiting lot.

I requested an uber as I exited the bus, and my driver just happened to be sitting right there waiting for a fare.

Worked out OK, but I could have (with uber black) just waited at the airport for him to swing around and pick me up.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sykes
That seems like a waste of time. You can request UberX pickup from SFO with no difficulty--many UberX drivers have the necessary SFO permit and only those with the permit or willing to accept the citation risk accept the pickup request.

The bigger problem with SFO is in the other direction--you don't know if an UberX driver is willing to drop off at SFO until you talk to them. UberX drivers are not required to accept fares to SFO because of the legal status.
I've been using UberX exclusively to get to/from SFO since the start of the year. I've never had a problem with a driver going in either direction. For me, it's been great. The price is great for a private ride, the drivers have been excellent, and I love the convenience of the app (a couple taps to get a ride, tip included, fare paid automatically, etc). I couldn't be happier with it, and I was skeptical at first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.