Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United/Uber relationship [DISCUSSION ONLY]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United/Uber relationship [DISCUSSION ONLY]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:26 pm

Question Terms & Conditions

What are the terms and conditions for earning the 1,000 miles? Do you have to be booked on a UA flight before or after the drive to earn the miles? Do you have to be leaving or arriving from an airport to earn the miles? UA was too vague on the details.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Actually have them pull right into the parking garage and drop you off. Then you get close and it is only an extra dollar for the car to exit at the other end of the terminal.

Actually, they've dropped me off right at the terminal, but I haven't used UberX for the airport runs. If United is really willing to assume the connection to Uber, god-forbid something happens to a passenger enroute to their UA flight. United MAY have some liability protection, but their name will be lumped in with whatever bad stuff happens. I just wonder why they didn't wait a bit longer for stuff to shake out, like the California items.
UberX won't go anywhere near the terminal now. i've parked down Michelson before at my old roommates office building and walked it. so crossing mcarthur isn't a big deal for me
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
The thing is that the legal and liability issues Uber has are more widespread than United is leading people to believe. Again, as a past and future user of Uber, I know what I'm getting. But read the United Insider post above. He makes it sound like a fully legitimate taxi service, which in many cases it certainly is NOT. I just think people should be warned before being led into something like this. That's why I posted links to reliable news sources. Things may change, but Uber is a controversial service today.
[mine] Yeah, not really. He describes it as a linked service that consists of ride-sharing and other car services. Pretty clear to me.

Don't know. All I know is I've presented some issues from reliable sources regarding their advertised app addition, including whether Uber is even available in CA airports, home of 2 of their hubs, and suggested United might want to reply. If they choose not to, that's their right, and I'll let that speak for itself.
Having presented issues raised by media is a good thing, and I'm glad to know about the concerns over insurance liability. But UAInsider post already states that the app doesn't show über locations where the various flavors aren't legal, so what should UA be concerned about and why should s/he reply to your question? Do you hold your local NBC affiliate accountable because they air ads that make McDonald's hamburgers seem legitimate?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
1. The fear-mongering about Uber is entirely unjustified IMHO. The cars, drivers and safe operation of the vehicles is so much better than regular taxi service that it is laughable. The legal challenges and allegations about safety/insurance are just a smoke screen from the entrenched anti-customer, anti-competition legacy taxi guilds.

2. The only way I see this being useful beyond what's available from the Uber app would be the ability to reserve cars in advance rather than contacting Uber after arrival. I always find it a hassle to book after arrival. The "free" airport wifi interferes with data cellular service, the Uber app needs updating, the data connection is not good, etc. etc. (And in some foreign cities, cars are not available or take a long time). Reserving cars before the trip would be a big benefit.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
It goes without saying that this must be a revenue-generating move on UA's part, since presumably the deal involves a rev share from Uber with every ride that's booked. Uber may even be paying a flat fee for the real estate in the app.

I think it's a bit naive to assume this initiative is costing the company money, though there's undoubtedly an opportunity cost related to the time of those iOS developers.

Good for them. Clever partnership.
And opportunity costs for QA, Legal, Marketing, and so on.

It may be revenue neutral...it may even make some small amount of incremental revenue. My point is that chasing negligible adjacent-market revenue while your primary responsibilities are floundering is not a great use of resources.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by DBCme
This is what the I.T. folks at UA have been busy working on? This is the secret sauce to bring UA forward into the new global airline we keep hearing of? Members of this forum will gladly give you a list of I.T improvements that are needed just to ensure efficient passage of your flying customers. I promise you, adding Uber functionality to the UA app is not on many of those lists. Fine to be the cool kid on the block for the week, perhaps even throw in some promos for using Uber thru the app (btw, why else would we link thru the UA app?), but there are many I.T problems that remain unresolved and unexplained. Where in the world are the United Airlines priorities? Mind boggling.

P.S. Absolutely no fingers pointed at UA Insider, the messenger, who I personally respect and appreciate here. But, please pass my note on..

^ fix the GPU waitlisting issues, for instance.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Tried using it last night through the UA app. Fairly straightforward.

Didn't end up taking the actual ride, though - had to cancel it twice because the same driver accepted both times and didn't have a cell phone. I saw him drive right past me at passenger pickup without stopping.

Gave up and hopped in a cab
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
It's easy to see why UA is blocking UberX and UberXL in the porting, given their ambiguous legal status in several jurisdictions. While you can get a driver to take you to SFO, there's no official UberX pricing for SFO listed on Uber's SF city page due to SFO's ban on any service that doesn't guarantee that the driver will have a state livery license.

SF Examiner has a story on the UA partnership today:

The airline's app partnership with Uber, which launched Wednesday, provides United customers with iPhone and Android phones wait-time and price information for Uber's black car and SUV vehicles, which have state transportation charter-party carrier licenses and permission to pick up passengers at SFO. Once a customer selects a ride, the United app routes to the Uber app to finalize the arrangement.

Meanwhile, the app does not block customers at SFO from requesting drivers with UberX, the popular transportation network service platform in which drivers use their personal vehicles.

"I'm not sure that the UA app would make it easier per se, but we certainly don't want the app to create a false expectation that this service is currently permitted at SFO because it is not," airport spokesman Doug Yakel said regarding UberX.
Coming from SFO, if I want UberX these days I'll take the AirTrain out to West Field Road and request the pickup there.

Originally Posted by teeceedee
Tried using it last night through the UA app. Fairly straightforward.

Didn't end up taking the actual ride, though - had to cancel it twice because the same driver accepted both times and didn't have a cell phone. I saw him drive right past me at passenger pickup without stopping.
Wow, now that is truly bizarre. Every driver has an Uber-issued iPhone and I believe they're supposed to keep a personal cell phone at the ready as well.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Although I like the idea of some competition to taxis, I was just reading the reviews of Uber, and they are most definitely "mixed". I guess the bottom line is to not rely on it too much!

Also, I think the Uber button takes up too much real estate on the United Android app - surely there's a better flight-oriented use of this space. It would be just as easy to click on an Uber icon right on my Android's home screen.

UA would love for me to use the United app as a window to other non-airline things, but it's just not going to happen!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by StingWest
Although I like the idea of some competition to taxis, I was just reading the reviews of Uber, and they are most definitely "mixed". I guess the bottom line is to not rely on it too much!

Also, I think the Uber button takes up too much real estate on the United Android app - surely there's a better flight-oriented use of this space. It would be just as easy to click on an Uber icon right on my Android's home screen.

UA would love for me to use the United app as a window to other non-airline things, but it's just not going to happen!
I used this yesterday (was going to use Uber to the airport anyway), and liked it.

Is it revolutionary? No, not really.

Does it add a small level of convenience for a small subset of UA flyers? Yes.

As a member of that small subset, I'll take it.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Coming from SFO, if I want UberX these days I'll take the AirTrain out to West Field Road and request the pickup there.
That seems like a waste of time. You can request UberX pickup from SFO with no difficulty--many UberX drivers have the necessary SFO permit and only those with the permit or willing to accept the citation risk accept the pickup request.

The bigger problem with SFO is in the other direction--you don't know if an UberX driver is willing to drop off at SFO until you talk to them. UberX drivers are not required to accept fares to SFO because of the legal status.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Not true

The thing is that the legal and liability issues Uber has are more widespread than United is leading people to believe. Again, as a past and future user of Uber, I know what I'm getting. But read the United Insider post above. He makes it sound like a fully legitimate taxi service, which in many cases it certainly is NOT. I just think people should be warned before being led into something like this. That's why I posted links to reliable news sources. Things may change, but Uber is a controversial service today.
Uber is only available where it is legal. In the cities where I've used the service (Chicago, New York, San Francisco, London, Denver, Paris), drivers must be commercially licensed and insured.

As someone who has taken taxis in all of these cities, I can say that Über is a very significant improvement.

The posts about the service being "controversial" sound to me like pointless scaremongering. Yes, Über is bumping up against some territorial taxi and livery services but the only reason for consumers to be concerned is that these pre-existing services are seeking to squelch competition. Has anyone here tried to hail a cab in Paris?

I'm no United fan, but this is an enhancement.

My only criticism is that they should offer a discount for initial use. Otherwise, United is pimping out our use of technology without the benefit that new users get the first time they use the Über app.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by unavaca
uberX is allowed to pick up at SFO, as long as they have a TCP sticker. Any uberX can dropoff at SFO regardless if they have a TCP sticker or not.

In mid-July the driver asked me to sit in the front seat rather than back, which led me to believe there was a grey area in terms of dropoff allowance.

Great ride and cheap with a $30 credit.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I'll take the 1,000 miles.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
As far as I know, in many states (including IL, as in ORD) it is illegal to operate a vehicle for hire unless they have livery license plates. As Uber vehicles are simple maintained personal vehicles, do they have livery plates? I haven't looked, but it adds even more legal questions to the mix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.