Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting to Europe on business / first saver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Europe on business / first saver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Question Getting to Europe on business / first saver

Hi all,

Thanks for allll the help so far. Now we're on to round two of making our way to Europe next summer.

We would really like to figure out a way to get to Europe next summer business class... But we don't quite have enough miles. As of right now, we have 270k miles combined and will need 3 seats (myself, my husband, our 3 year old, and a lap infant).

I've been able to find 140k RT business class saver tickets on the itinerary we want on Turkish Air. So, 420k miles needed... 150k miles short.

Or if we're able to find 115k RT biz class saver tickets, then we'd be 75k miles short.

From what I've been able to deduce from these forums, our options are:

1. Award Accelerator -- we'd have to book a bunch of flights to buy enough miles... would end up costing about $2250-$4500 to buy the additional miles, assuming $0.03/mi.

2. Buy a coach ticket and then upgrade using miles, but is there a simple way to figure out if we can upgrade to coach on a ticket using miles ahead of time? I saw the thing about changing your united profile to advanced, but then just got really confused about all the different types of flights. Is there "for dummies" version of this??

Are there better options we're missing? We can't afford to just buy 3 business class tickets, unfortunately.

What would you guys do if you really wanted to fly business?? BTW: I've mapped out flying from SFO -> Madrid and then back from Rome -> SFO in June 2015. But we're flexible about where we fly into in Europe (but probably need to fly out of Rome... but if there's some stellar deal, can fly out of somewhere else and just purchase some intra-Europe flight/train ticket).

Other details: we recently each got the Mileage Plus Explorer card and my husband is close to Elite status (about $600 short of PQD -- any tips on how to get that quickly?? Are currently planning to try to get his United card to the $25k spending amount in the next couple of months to get the waiver). Would his having Elite status help us in securing a business class ticket?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Fly out in Business, fly back in Coach.

It's not worth the high miles and upgrade fee for that approach. Short of really reading how expert mode works - just understandthat if R is not open, that as a non-elite, your chances of that approach are slim.

Or have your husband buy the ticket outright, with the rest on miles. That will go a long way towards his PQD/PQMs next year.

As for status - unless he is Platinum or above, business saver does not open more - and if it does, it's only UA metal.

Not at all worth buying the miles.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:42 am

Also, be advised that the fee for the lap infant on award seats may be quite high. I've seen reports on FT that UA charges 10% of the highest fare. I don't know what the cost will be in your case, but the lap child will not be free.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
Also, be advised that the fee for the lap infant on award seats may be quite high. I've seen reports on FT that UA charges 10% of the highest fare. I don't know what the cost will be in your case, but the lap child will not be free.
Last year I used UA miles for UA/LH operated J flights to Europe, and lap child was charged 10% of the best available J fare for the *actual* flights that I booked with miles.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
It is worth it to figure out expert mode and look for "R" and other code availability for either saver award business, upgrade to business with miles and copay from economy, or even deep discount business. That is really the way to look for UA TATL business class. That said, it seems there is a lot less of it than there used to be, but it all depends. You might also consider the other major airports - BRU, FRA and LHR seem more likely to have it than FCO. Keep in mind you can even use the "multiple cities' search to deliberately plan connections through various major airports and find more saver and upgradable flights than a plain round trip search will show. Unfortunately, there is just no other way to do this than spending the computer time since UA shut off expertflyer's automatic search capability (you would just set it for various flights and it would email you if the right space became available - that was great). And you need to search frequently - space might come up and be available for less than a day.

Definitely look to cards for the miles. I get most of my miles from credit cards. Finally, I have a tendency to pay for my own ticket (preferably econ upgraded to business with miles), and get award tickets only for the family, since the miles are more valuable to me and that means I need fewer miles.

Last edited by Artpen100; Aug 15, 2014 at 12:35 pm Reason: Didn't notice last part of original posting
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
.... 1. Award Accelerator -- we'd have to book a bunch of flights to buy enough miles... would end up costing about $2250-$4500 to buy the additional miles, assuming $0.03/mi.
the present rate for many is 1.9cpm
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2014 at 9:59 am Reason: misplaced decimal point
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Artpen100
It is worth it to figure out expert mode and look for "R" and other code availability for either saver award business, upgrade to business with miles and copay from economy, or even deep discount business. That is really the way to look for UA TATL business class. That said, it seems there is a lot less of it than there used to be, but it all depends. You might also consider the other major airports - BRU, FRA and LHR seem more likely to have it than FCO. Keep in mind you can even use the "multiple cities' search to deliberately plan connections through various major airports and find more saver and upgradable flights than a plain round trip search will show. Unfortunately, there is just no other way to do this than spending the computer time since UA shut off expertflyer's automatic search capability (you would just set it for various flights and it would email you if the right space became available - that was great). And you need to search frequently - space might come up and be available for less than a day.

Definitely look to cards for the miles. I get most of my miles from credit cards. Finally, I have a tendency to pay for my own ticket (preferably econ upgraded to business with miles), and get award tickets only for the family, since the miles are more valuable to me and that means I need fewer miles.
Is there a more recent link with info on how to do the expert search? All the websites I find are dated, and I cannot figure out how to find the fare class!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the present rate for many is 0.019cpm
Even better! So then between $1425-$2850 to get the miles for us to all fly business, which is cheaper than a business class ticket.

And it does look like it'd be about $1k for the lap infant on a RT business class ticket. Rather steep, but still much cheaper than a seat. It's actually nearly the price of an economy ticket... :|
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler

1. Award Accelerator -- we'd have to book a bunch of flights to buy enough miles... would end up costing about $2250-$4500 to buy the additional miles, assuming $0.03/mi.
And are you aware for accelerator you can buy economy tickets several long flights, purchase the extra miles, wait a few hour until the miles show up in your account, and then cancel the tickets within the 24 hour free cancellation period?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Is there a more recent link with info on how to do the expert search? All the websites I find are dated, and I cannot figure out how to find the fare class!
You have to log in and check on your Profile: there will be a link to Expert Mode with a disclaimer that you're using this because you know what all the fare buckets mean. You accept this, and then when you search for flights if you toggle over fare class (highlighted) it will show all the alphabet soup of fares. For your purpose you just want R. If R0: no seats. If R6: six seats, etc. R means you can use a GPU or miles and money for international travel.

I spend most of my life looking for R since UA did away with Expert Flyer.

Caution: There is a bug on keeping Expert Mode in your profile. Each time I go to the UA site, I log in, and that keeps me linked to the fare buckets. Others may have a different experience
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: United Gold
still your call on buying miles, but looks like there is a 35% bonus promotion going on now (e.g. buy 100k get 135k). Cuts that cost a little.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hscottm
still your call on buying miles, but looks like there is a 35% bonus promotion going on now (e.g. buy 100k get 135k). Cuts that cost a little.
Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html first, likely significantly cheaper (but a little more complex) than the 35% promo.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:26 pm
RNE

OP, please keep in mind that Accelerator rates may vary by person and are subject to change anytime. The current 1.9¢/RDM is a recent minimum.

RNE, advising the OP—and anyone who is a would-be buyer—to strike while the iron is hot.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hughw
And are you aware for accelerator you can buy economy tickets several long flights, purchase the extra miles, wait a few hour until the miles show up in your account, and then cancel the tickets within the 24 hour free cancellation period?
Yes, that would be the plan if we went this route
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmack
You have to log in and check on your Profile: there will be a link to Expert Mode with a disclaimer that you're using this because you know what all the fare buckets mean. You accept this, and then when you search for flights if you toggle over fare class (highlighted) it will show all the alphabet soup of fares. For your purpose you just want R. If R0: no seats. If R6: six seats, etc. R means you can use a GPU or miles and money for international travel.

I spend most of my life looking for R since UA did away with Expert Flyer.

Caution: There is a bug on keeping Expert Mode in your profile. Each time I go to the UA site, I log in, and that keeps me linked to the fare buckets. Others may have a different experience
I've set expert mode, but don't see fare classes when searching for flights.

Originally Posted by RNE
OP, please keep in mind that Accelerator rates may vary by person and are subject to change anytime. The current 1.9¢/RDM is a recent minimum.

RNE, advising the OP—and anyone who is a would-be buyer—to strike while the iron is hot.
Thanks, WineCountry, RNE, and hscott. Don't know how I missed a thread on the award accelerator!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2014 at 2:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.