Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amusing event on flight to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Exactly what I've now explained three times -- that one must take such reports with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure how to say it any clearer, but here's another shot. The OP noted that ANA boarded a 777 really quickly. There are two components that made that boarding quick:

1. It's ANA.

2. It's a widebody.

OP was implicitly congratulating ANA on the quick boarding without mentioning factor 2. So I decided to.
OK - I'll just let it go. I have great respect for your knowledge and posts - I just thought that your original post made it seem quite different than you apparently meant - and by definion a 777 has two aisles so I assumed OP knew that...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
OK - I'll just let it go. I have great respect for your knowledge and posts - I just thought that your original post made it seem quite different than you apparently meant - and by definion a 777 has two aisles so I assumed OP knew that...
My only point was that many people don't realize that because widebodies have two aisles, they are easier to board. So people sometimes don't think through the fairness of the comparison.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
My only point was that many people don't realize that because widebodies have two aisles, they are easier to board. So people sometimes don't think through the fairness of the comparison.
I understand - my bad. I'm not so anti-UA as my comments might suggest - I just have the great fortune of experiencing what good service and performance looks like - and UA is far short of that these days....The decline in the last 18 months is shocking to say the least...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
[Quotes of about half of the posts in the thread deleted by Moderator as off-topic and unnecessary.]

Wow! Quite an exchange...

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 8, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Had to chuckle at this exchange.... Haven't looked at the sizer thread, but are there any reports that the UA boarding process is seeing any improvement due to implementation? I've only been on a few trips recently and haven't been able to tell from my experiences.

Please no "RTFF" responses!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kettle1
Wow. Times are a changin'. FA's used to close the overhead bin doors to make sure they are securely latched. I guess reading People Magazine and hiding behind the curtain is priority one. What happened to their main priority - SAFETY!
I would say consistently at least 50% of my flights in "13 and "14, the FA's advised the PAX to help expedite the boarding process by staying clear from the aisles, and help close full bins.

Though it's the FA's job it seems like the FA's can do things to motivate us PAX to reach our destination faster.

But from my stand point I feel like the FA's are in a rush to shut the cabin door because we all know why

Even when the cabin doors are closed, ATC still won't release the plane to push back yet due to heavy runway que.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by eleeut
Had to chuckle at this exchange.... Haven't looked at the sizer thread, but are there any reports that the UA boarding process is seeing any improvement due to implementation? I've only been on a few trips recently and haven't been able to tell from my experiences.

Please no "RTFF" responses!
First - sorry about the exchange I shouldn't have been so "aggressive" with mgcsinc... I'm not sure that the sizer has helped speed up the boarding at all. At my home airport it sometimes delays it as the GA makes announcements to ANYONE in groups 4 and below to approach the desk to gate check their bags (for free - thus pi$$ing off the folks who paid to check) - and then it takes a long time to process all those folks....

I try not to draw any conclusions though since my airport is mainly UEX - but on the mainline flights I take to be honest I haven't noticed any increase in speed - at first there seemed to be more strict enforcement - but IMO now it seems to have reverted to being nothing more than a metal sculpture selectively enforced at best....
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just curious, was the lead male FA who helped with the bag a very old man with the name of the state capital of Idaho? This guy - 47 years of flying with UA - often works that flight.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Aug 9, 2014 at 4:17 am
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just curious, was the lead male FT who helped with the bag a very old man with the name of the state capital of Idaho? This guy - 47 years of flying with UA - often works that flight.
One of my favorite pursers on that route! Amazing man with an incredible memory. I hate to think he's now doing this run on a 738. Ugh.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
A320, too

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I recently flied ANA; their FAs double and triple check latches before departure and landing. They are very professional. It was also amazing that it only took less than 15 min to have all pax boarded in B777.
I also took an A320 flight on ANA; the boarding also started 15 min before departure. Both B777 and A320 were domestic flights. I noticed that ANA allocated 25-30 min for an international B773 flight (my wife's flight to IAD from NRT). The key reasons for the shorter boarding time are 1) less carryon luggage, and 2) FAs are more involved (and more helpful). I do not know whether or not the fewer boarding groups help. This was just my observations.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pat89339
One of my favorite pursers on that route! Amazing man with an incredible memory. I hate to think he's now doing this run on a 738. Ugh.
I just love him. He is indeed working the 738 now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.