Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award booking on UA but on partner - who owns cancellation or changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond

I'm about to book my long planned mega vacation to Europe.

They are UA flights but standard award rates. However there are several saver awards but on *A partners. Since these are biz seats the miles amounts are vastly lower on the partner.

Suppose between now and the flight there are cancellations or changes. Who would have to own the issue, UA or the partner since I'm booking on UA.com with MP miles?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You deal with United for any changes to the itinerary. The only exception is if something goes wrong while you're in transit with a partner, i.e., Lufthansa delivers you late so you miss a connecting flight, Lufthansa deals with it.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Suppose between now and the flight there are cancellations or changes. Who would have to own the issue, UA or the partner since I'm booking on UA.com with MP miles?
If you push them, UA can open up their own award space when a partner flight schedule changes or gets canceled.

Post your routing for more suggestions ...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
If you push them, UA can open up their own award space when a partner flight schedule changes or gets canceled.

Post your routing for more suggestions ...
This happened recently with a friend of mine. AC had a schedule change and no more business class. UA opened the inventory in I for him and put him on it without much prodding.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
UA owns the ticket and will take care of any issues unless travel has occured and there is a late flight connection in which the airline flown will take care of the issue.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..Suppose between now and the flight there are cancellations or changes. Who would have to own the issue, UA or the partner since I'm booking on UA.com with MP miles?
No one without fighting it.

The system will most of the time rebook you to a less convenient route (as it happens regularly with CA awards) or omit that sector.
As other suggested you can ring UA and beg them to free space on their own aluminum.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 30, 2014 at 9:30 am Reason: Off-topic comments deleted
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Your transatlantic flights are on Austrian Airlines, which also flies to Vienna from IAD, JFK and ORD. Are saver fares available through those airports?

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 30, 2014 at 9:32 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Well in advance of departure (>24h), UA since they're the ticketing carrier.

"Day of" issues, the operating airline.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
OP, I just realized you're flying to Europe. Why not look for any TATL with saver and connect in Europe?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
OP, I just realized you're flying to Europe. Why not look for any TATL with saver and connect in Europe?
Which would save the OP from paying the outrageous mileage charges on non-UA *A redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.