Wiki Posts
Search

United to only serve skim milk and cream

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
United to only serve skim milk and cream

Flew LHR-EWR yesterday and asked for milk with the mid-flight cookies. Was told that they only have skim (which I find repulsive) and that moving forward all UA flights, both international and domestic will be skim milk only effective next week. That's insane.

Ps- I'm a healthy person/eater. I just find skim milk repugnant.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
OP mentions "milk and cream" in the thread topic but no reference to "cream" in the post itself. If both will still be served, then the solution is simple, half and half. Skim is 2%BF, cream is generally 10%BF or more. Ergo, homogenized milk at 6%BF. Even better if cream is 16-18%BF.

Seems to be a sensible move given more people are using low-fat dairy products thus leaving the possibility of many cartons of half-empty milk of both varieties, and cream being dumped per flight. Having the two extremes on board can satisfy everyone (as long as FAs note that one can blend half and half for either a glass of milk or to lighten up the coffee additive!).

Last edited by goalie; Jul 26, 2014 at 3:28 pm Reason: removed reference to deleted post and off topic comment
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Sorry- the cream in the form of those little plastic cups and not refrigerated cartons
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Good to know because I order coffee w/ milk assuming its whole. This seems silly but I guess I'll say cream from now on. #Smiseked
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:45 am

Another reason to avoid breakfast flights...
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Well, you could always try adding cream to your milk. Not the same but it will have the right fat content.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Another reason to avoid breakfast flights...
Sure, I'll make sure I tell my customers I can't travel in the AM as UA doesn't serve milk.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Good to know because I order coffee w/ milk assuming its whole. This seems silly but I guess I'll say cream from now on.
I detest whole milk and cream. Though it is cost-cutting, for me, it's a net positive. Not sure why you would assume "whole" when fat-free and 1/2% milk outsell whole 2 to 1.

Last edited by aacharya; Jul 26, 2014 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I just find skim milk repugnant.
And I find any milk other than skim undrinkable. As in life, there are no universal truths. What's good for one person is bad for another.

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Skim is 2%BF
Skim is 0%.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
More processed foodstuffs to reinforce the training that we Americans, for several generations now, have been led to believe is "healthier."

Cows don't produce skim milk; people do. Half-and-half also does not naturally come in those shelf-stable cups that you don't ever need to refrigerate. You look around the world and see different cultures eating much more full fat foods -- lard, cheese, yogurt. They just do it with more moderation. Animal fats don't make us less healthy.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
More processed foodstuffs to reinforce the training that we Americans, for several generations now, have been led to believe is "healthier."

Umm...skim milk has been around since the late 1500's. No argument on the half-and-half cups, however.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
They just do it with more moderation. Animal fats don't make us less healthy.
Almost anything in moderation is fine.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm...skim milk has been around since the late 1500's.
People have been skimming fat off milk (1-2% butterfat) for centuries, but the fat-free skim milk that we eat today is heavily processed with various additives to give us the taste and texture that we normally associate with milk.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Jul 26, 2014 at 11:55 am Reason: parenthetical
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:20 pm

Good change

This is a good change. I only drink skim and detest the heavy milk. Also better for you.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trk1
This is a good change. I only drink skim and detest the heavy milk. Also better for you.
There is absolutely zero nutritional value in skim milk. It's like white bread. Just because something is relatively high in fat doesn't make it "bad". And I'm not suggesting whole milk. 1 or 2% is totally reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.