Search

Do fares change mid-afternoon?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Do fares change mid-afternoon?

I'm just now booking a ORD-LGA for October and when I started on the first screen it had fares as low as $364 with many options at that price, but by the time I clicked through to the return screen it had gone up to $389 - thinking it was a return of the old "the lowest fare doesn't actually exist problem" I went back and started over.

Now the lowest fare is $389 - with every single fare bumped up the same $25, so it isn't just a change in availability on a certain flight, it seems to be across the board.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by milepig
I'm just now booking a ORD-LGA for October and when I started on the first screen it had fares as low as $364 with many options at that price, but by the time I clicked through to the return screen it had gone up to $389 - thinking it was a return of the old "the lowest fare doesn't actually exist problem" I went back and started over.

Now the lowest fare is $389 - with every single fare bumped up the same $25, so it isn't just a change in availability on a certain flight, it seems to be across the board.
I think what is more typical is that your fare bucket might have sold out while you were in the process - but I'm not sure when they load new fares - always thought it was really early morning...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Fares can change, no set time. Since I don't know your flight dates and fare code needed, I did a search for Oct. with best Economy fare and found many dates for $299 RT.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I think what is more typical is that your fare bucket might have sold out while you were in the process - but I'm not sure when they load new fares - always thought it was really early morning...
I'd have thought so as well, except absolutely every single flight on that round trip (and on ORD-LGA there are lots of flights) went up $25 - I doubt every flight would have had a fare bucket sell out at the exact same moment.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by milepig
I'd have thought so as well, except absolutely every single flight on that round trip (and on ORD-LGA there are lots of flights) went up $25 - I doubt every flight would have had a fare bucket sell out at the exact same moment.
True - perhaps new fares were loaded in advance of the earnings call tomorrow
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Was this today?

There were issues on July 19th due to the change in TSA fees.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Was this today?

There were issues on July 19th due to the change in TSA fees.
Yep - just before I posted. I was searching for lowest economy on Oct 19 for ORD-LGA and the 21st for LGA-ORD.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Fares can and do change. I even had a close in fare DEN-LAX jump over $100 while pricing things out. Logged off and went back in and the old fare was back 30 minutes later. Right now, I see your $389 fare as an "S" with lots of inventory in the S bucket. So they may very well have upped the S fare by $25. Since this is far enough out, if price is important, you may want to wait til closer to Labor Day when some fare sales happen (unadvertised). However, since your outbound is a Sunday, be prepared for that one to stay pretty tight.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Yes..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.