Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot in F (per policy/contract) while paying elites are not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot in F (per policy/contract) while paying elites are not

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Which is one of the many, many reasons why an airline with such an attitude does not deserve your business.
Almost every airline in america i know of gives their employees first class seats over complimentary upgrades when deadheading or official company travel.

And officially, Non-Rev passengers get the lowest priority on the first class list, and most certainly not ahead of paying passengers.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Almost every airline in america i know of gives their employees first class seats over complimentary upgrades when deadheading or official company travel.

And officially, Non-Rev passengers get the lowest priority on the first class list, and most certainly not ahead of paying passengers.
That's not what the quoted reply was discussing.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freshairborne
...when I was commuting from west coast to east, I would invariably come out the night before and rest up in my crash pad before going to fly.
Out of idle curiosity, is it common for commercial airline pilots to refer to their place of repose as a "crash pad"?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
Out of idle curiosity, is it common for commercial airline pilots to refer to their place of repose as a "crash pad"?
Yes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crashpad
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Yes, and for flight attendants too.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Depends on the job at the airline. As a general rule, this is simply not true.

This is a different issue. NRSA passengers are also below paying passengers in economy trying to upgrade due to status, miles or instruments.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Sounds like y'all need a pilot's equivalent of the R space sniping thread.
Believe me, we have one of those! It's a forum for just United pilots. Not Airline Pilot Central, BTW, but you can find some pretty serious whining and chest beating there as well.

FAB

Originally Posted by Often1
No, they are lazy and slovenly people who take away freebies others who didn't and won't pay for F, but think that they are so important that they should get it for free.
Are you referring to pilots? If so, understand that when on space-available travel, contract employees will not be upgraded ahead of any paying passenger, whether that passenger paid for the higher priority seat or was upgraded.

FAB

That's not true of space-available employees. Only time we end up in FC is if we are contractually entitled to it or there are seats after everyone else has upgraded.

FAB

Yeah, pretty much so. A crash pad is usually an apartment or hotel or motel room that one or more flight crew types, pilots, F/As, or mix thereof, and everyone pays usually according to how many nights they stay in it. In my first crash pad as a new-hire, there were nine pilots in a two bedroom unit. The units were about 50% rented to flight crews. In my pad, the flight engineer on United Flight 232, the Iowa cornfield crash, was our "den mother". In an adjacent F/A pad, one of them was working that flight as well. Despite that, we generally just don't associate the description of the crash pads with airplane "mishaps". I know, strange but true.

FAB

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 16, 2014 at 7:05 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by freshairborne
That's not true of space-available employees. Only time we end up in FC is if we are contractually entitled to it or there are seats after everyone else has upgraded.

FAB
OK, I'm glad to see you explain this. Back when I was a "travel companion," I ocasionally booked in CoAir as a Biz NRSA. Because it was a separate category from the coach NRSA, I somehow thought that the these seats would be assigned right after all the full coach fare passengers, but before any upgrades from coach. Gosh, knowing this now, I'm stunned I actually received those biz seats IAH-GIG-IAH and AMS-EWR.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I've been somewhere below #1 on "the list" and at T-45 min done the TOD if it feels right. It sucks for everyone above me on the list, especially whoever is #1. You very well may not have noticed the list get smaller by one person, heck it may even have stayed the same if someone had just checked in for the flight at the very last minute, but there goes that one seat in F.

Either crew got it because they are entitled to it or someone bought up. Either way, it wasn't your day to get the Jimmy Dean sausage.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Either crew got it because they are entitled to it or someone bought up. Either way, it wasn't your day to get the Jimmy Dean sausage.
Jimmy Ray Dean (August 10, 1928 – June 13, 2010) was an American country music singer, television host, actor and businessman. Although he may be best known today as the creator of the Jimmy Dean sausage brand, he became a national television personality starting in 1957, rising to fame for his 1961 country crossover hit "Big Bad John" and his television series, The Jimmy Dean Show, which also gave puppeteer Jim Henson his first national media exposure. His acting career included a supporting role as Willard Whyte in the 1971 James Bond movie, Diamonds Are Forever. He lived near Richmond, Virginia, and was nominated for the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2010, although he was formally inducted posthumously.

Source: http://www.ask.com/wiki/Jimmy_Dean
Jimmy Dean Foods is a food company that was founded in 1969 by country singer and actor Jimmy Dean. It was purchased by Consolidated Foods, later renamed Hillshire Brands.
Jimmy Dean would be rolling in his grave if the sausage UA serves is his "brand". I am sure it is NOT!

RIP: Jimmy Dean.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by kettle1
Jimmy Dean would be rolling in his grave if the sausage UA serves is his "brand". I am sure it is NOT!

Dear Mr. Kettle1:

I present for your perusal this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23170827-post586.html
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by eghansen
In fact, he probably was not only dead-heading, but was designated "must-ride". A must-ride is a pilot that has to be on that particular flight because there is a flight later in the day waiting for him to fly it. In an oversell situation, the must-ride pilot will bump a fare-paying passenger which infuriates them.

If crew scheduling needs him on this flight, they book whatever class is available. If economy is zeroed out because of an oversell, they will book him directly in first. The gate does not upgrade him and probably does not even know he is on the flight. He is just another passenger booked in first.
Actually of not allowed first class (except through the gate upgrade process) they will always book in coach, even if it's full. They simply call CRC who authorizes the individual booking the positive-space travel to overbook.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:24 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by kettle1

Hillshire bought Jimmy Dean's company and still markets the Jimmy Dean label.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
OK, I'm glad to see you explain this. Back when I was a "travel companion," I ocasionally booked in CoAir as a Biz NRSA. Because it was a separate category from the coach NRSA, I somehow thought that the these seats would be assigned right after all the full coach fare passengers, but before any upgrades from coach. Gosh, knowing this now, I'm stunned I actually received those biz seats IAH-GIG-IAH and AMS-EWR.
Much of this discussion is about domestic flights. There are no free upgrades on most international flights, and NRSAs often end up in the premium cabins.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Employee traveling on company business: NRPS
Non Rev Positive Space

Employee traveling on their own pleasure/commute/whatever: NRSA
Non Rev Space Available

Both groups are nonrevs. Let's not let "nonrev" become any more of a pejorative than it already is on FT (not the least of which the UA board). I, for one, try my best to respect the employees' flying privileges when I encounter them, just as much as I expect the employees to show respect to paying customers when going through the procedures both on the ground and in the air.
+1

I am always surprised that there are negative attitudes to non-revenue fliers.

If airlines couldn't move staff around for work related reasons, they would have to either employ far many workers or pay them much more so they could, in-turn, purchase tickets from their employers to get to their next work location. What inefficiency! How much would the airlines have to raise ticket prices to pay for such foolishness?

If airlines didn't provide staff with free travel benefits they surely would have to provide them with higher salaries and wages. Many, if not most, airline employees take airline jobs not only because they love aviation but because they know that they and close family members will be able to do some free flying. They certainly don't take the jobs for the high wages which the industry doesn't pay, especially those starting in their careers. Without the benefits, the airlines would have to pay more to get the same sized staff. They would, no doubt, have to raise ticket prices to pay for those higher salaries.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 20, 2014 at 5:01 pm Reason: typo cleanup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.