Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO runway issues (summer 2014 and impact to UA/UX flight operations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO runway issues (summer 2014 and impact to UA/UX flight operations)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Because CO's flight delay %'s were much better than pmUA and today's UA.
CO had better on time than today's UA, but did not have better on time than PMUA.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool Cancelled flight - apparently lying about ATC delays

Alright, guys, let me know what you think about this:

Have a flight scheduled from ACV back to SFO tonight about 8pm. Checked online about 9am this morning, and they had already cancelled the flight "due to ATC delays." They put me on a flight tomorrow am.

Called in to try to get on an earlier flight, no go due to the only available connecting flight being booked solid.

I've been checking the FAA website all afternoon, there are no significant delays at all at SFO, and the weather here is superb.

This is the second trip in a row they've pulled this horse manure on a Sunday night flight, so I made sure to have my car res through tomorrow and a cancellable hotel.

Getting tired of this nonsense. I don't know how they can possibly claim ATC delay 12 hours before the flight, especially when there are no reported delays. I printed out copies of the FAA website showing no ATC delays.

What should I push them for in terms of compensation? This is ridiculous! I think they are just using the SFO runway construction excuse to do whatever they want.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I've been checking the FAA website all afternoon, there are no significant delays at all at SFO, and the weather here is superb.
Planes don't magically appear from nowhere. They have to come from somewhere, and weather isn't the only reason for delays. The SFO runway construction is real. Also note that what a layperson thinks is good weather isn't necessarily so for aviation. Have you considered crosswinds?

If you feel they're lying, file a DOT complaint and see what evidence United provides.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jul 27, 2014 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Planes don't magically appear from nowhere. They have to come from somewhere, and weather isn't the only reason for delays. If I'm not mistaken, SFO is undergoing runway construction for the next couple of months.
Runway construction is an "air traffic control" delay?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Yes. With only the two parallel runways open, ATC has to adjust flow for the available runways. No takeoffs on the crossing runways greatly reduced capacity, particularly if the winds are not favorable (at which point it could be considered ATC or weather).
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
This is area where airlines get away with all kinds of shenanigans.

Ex . Incoming crew got delayed because their flight had MX issue with lavatory. Arrived 70 minutes late. Then after they arrive, thunderstorms roll in and cause ramp to close about 40 min after original departure time. Real reason for delay was MX/crew out of position but guess what they claim? WX....
Then you miss connect and are housed later in evening. Happens ALL the time.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wethereyet
This is area where airlines get away with all kinds of shenanigans.

Ex . Incoming crew got delayed because their flight had MX issue with lavatory. Arrived 70 minutes late. Then after they arrive, thunderstorms roll in and cause ramp to close about 40 min after original departure time. Real reason for delay was MX/crew out of position but guess what they claim? WX....
Then you miss connect and are housed later in evening. Happens ALL the time.
Ugh. Barely OT, but could you please remind me how long the runway issue is scheduled to take?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:51 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Out of curiosity...does the DOT have a system to monitor the various airlines to check up on them when they report cancellations/delays/the reasons given to make sure that what is reported is actual?

Are the airlines required to report this data? To which agency?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Yes. Any situation at the destination airport that affects landing capacity may cause ATC to limit departures to that airport. For example, if this morning ATC knows that tonight from 8-10pm they will have limited landing capacity, and that UA has 20 flights scheduled to land in that time period and tells UA "we can only accommodate 15 of your 20 scheduled landings - you pick which 5 ones to cancel" then UA will cancel 5 scheduled flights, possibly many hours in advance, and the reason is "ATC."

In such a situation, UA will pick the 5 flights with the lowest impacts to the system overall, which include considerations like: corresponding outbound flight is also cancelled, how many passengers on the flight have onward connections, what will the cancellation do as far as putting equipment and personnel out of place, etc.

It could very well be that at an airport with construction or some sort of seasonal weather pattern, a particular flight at the end of a particular day of the week always is often one of the ones that gets cancelled, based on all the criteria that go into that decision. The fact that the flight happens to be underbooked may be a factor (if having to cancel X number of flights within a particular time frame, would you choose half-full commuters or full widebodies?), but that doesn't mean it's part of a conspiracy to cancel underbooked flights across the board.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
could you please remind me how long the runway issue is scheduled to take?
Through September.

And Steve M, that's a very well worded explanation.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Another strange one. For over an hour there was a hold on ORD departures due to weather but storms were 100 miles away.

As another aside, received email at 11pm last night that my 3pm flight was delayed due to late flight crew. UA, what a mess.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Another strange one. For over an hour there was a hold on ORD departures due to weather but storms were 100 miles away.

As another aside, received email at 11pm last night that my 3pm flight was delayed due to late flight crew. UA, what a mess.
UA is a mess. My last four originating flights on UA have all been cancelled due to "ATC Issues" or some other "lie" - in quotes only bc they can legally get away with it... And for all the apologists yes, I know it's a lie because Delta, American, and Jetblue were all able to continue normal operations on the SAME routes - without interruption - on the SAME day. UA just decided to take my plane and use it somewhere else - fine, but don't lie to me...

Just for laughs I decided to take screen shots of my last flight from EWR - this delay reason was so bad that the GA came on the PA apoligized - and then said that the crew on my flight had decided they needed a break and was eating their dinner on the plane - and we would board when they were done and ready!

He was as increduluous as I was - UA posted a delay on the flight for the following reason "Delayed due to operational difficulties". We boarded 10 minutes after scheduled departure time... While we are sittin on the plane I noticed that UA revised the status on the mobile App and said WE DEPARTED ON TIME!. And this is how it remained - we didnt depart on time they lied and changed the system. I have screen shots of it all - but the truth is I now know there is nothing they won't do - lie, deceive, revise history - whatever it takes - to make themselves look good...

It's amazing how low they have sunk in the past 18 months!

Here's the screenshot sitting at the gate:

Here's the screenshot sitting on plane - before we even head to runway...

How can this be explained away?

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jul 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
Yes. Any situation at the destination airport that affects landing capacity may cause ATC to limit departures to that airport. For example, if this morning ATC knows that tonight from 8-10pm they will have limited landing capacity, and that UA has 20 flights scheduled to land in that time period and tells UA "we can only accommodate 15 of your 20 scheduled landings - you pick which 5 ones to cancel" then UA will cancel 5 scheduled flights, possibly many hours in advance, and the reason is "ATC."
this
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Look at flightstats.com, though, and you'll see the bulk of flight arrivals that have been cancelled at SFO since 0600 today are EM2s. The first arrival into SFO that didn't make it was from Chico scheduled for 0732, and then the rest of the day there are EM2 flights that were also cancelled coming in from Santa Barbara (0854 arr), Monterey (1203 arr), Fresno (1302 arr), Redding (1502 arr), Sacramento (1759 arr), Santa Barbara (1802 arr), San Luis Obispo (2129 arr) and Arcata (2145 arr). There's also a couple CRJ arrivals cancelled. Would any of those earlier flights been your aircraft?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The construction, with or without additional factors like weather, can lead to capacity constraints causing the FAA to impose delay programs.

Originally Posted by Steve M
This is not how ATC delay programs work in the US under Collaborative Decision Making! The FAA does not tell the carriers to cancel flights, it allocates them slots on a ration by schedule basis. And when it does that, it posts the program notices the carriers get (but not the slot assignments/EDCTs) on OIS.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
And for all the apologists yes, I know it's a lie because Delta, American, and Jetblue were all able to continue normal operations on the SAME routes - without interruption - on the SAME day.
Given the way delay programs work under the FAA's CDM model, this is completely irrelevant and not indicative of anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.