Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which UA/UAX flights seem to be the most frequently overbooked??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Are there any particular UA/UAX flights that almost always seem to be overbooked (and an almost guaranteed VDB if you want one)?

I'm going to be flying DEN-FCA later this month and it's already almost sold out. The last time I took this flight I think the gate agent said it was overbooked by at least 10 or more (on a CRJ200) and the original $150 went to $300 with a hotel and rebooking on DL via SLC (which I took).

My guess is that many of the overbooked flights are UAX aircraft with weight and balance issues as well as a lower seating capacity. When UA operated the SEA-NRT non-stop, the EMB120 flight from PDX-SEA that shuttled connecting passengers seemed to be full a lot (actually got VDB on that flight once--the agent told me that my wife and I were the only ones NOT going on to NRT....lol).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
SMF - SFO is often over. It's also often delayed and by the time they reroute everyone or send them driving to SFO it leaves with empty seats.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Oversold flights - as random as a jackpot in Vegas

The airlines have two things working for them in yield management that we don't have: powerful computers and history. Their systems are constantly learning from past experience.
I checked in at LHR on the first Sunday that Delta operated flights from there to NYC. The agents needed at least 20 volunteers to take later flights (the next day). It was difficult but they got me a seat on BA from LHR to IAD and paid me $400. I took the deal and ran. Others who could wait until the next day received hotel, meals and more compensation. On that first Sunday all Delta could do was guess at how many pax they could plan not to show up. And Macy's does not share information with Gimbel's. Likewise, American and United.
Some years later a few days after Gabby Giffords was shot in a Tucson parking lot I changed planes at DFW. I inquired about volunteering for my flight to PHX. The friendly agent said PHX was not going to need volunteers. Then she told me that Tucson had been oversold for days after that tragedy. Nothing your, I or the airlines could foresee.
I gave up booking likely to need volunteers flights long ago. But if you find something that works for you by all means do it.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are there any particular UA/UAX flights that almost always seem to be overbooked (and an almost guaranteed VDB if you want one)?

I'm going to be flying DEN-FCA later this month and it's already almost sold out. The last time I took this flight I think the gate agent said it was overbooked by at least 10 or more (on a CRJ200) and the original $150 went to $300 with a hotel and rebooking on DL via SLC (which I took).

My guess is that many of the overbooked flights are UAX aircraft with weight and balance issues as well as a lower seating capacity. When UA operated the SEA-NRT non-stop, the EMB120 flight from PDX-SEA that shuttled connecting passengers seemed to be full a lot (actually got VDB on that flight once--the agent told me that my wife and I were the only ones NOT going on to NRT....lol).

PDX,
i think the question should be which UA/UAX flights are not overbooked. I'm on my twice yearly tour of the usa visiting the h.q. and our vendors and most of the flights that i have been on going to/thru denver/chicago and dulles has been full and asked for v.d.b.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.