Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT-HKG on Air Japan UA code share: Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold

Looking at an itinerary SEA-SFO-NRT-HKG with R availability (using a GPU) on all legs except NRT-HKG via "UA9727 Operated by Air Japan" on a 767-300 in V class. I'm assuming that the GPU might not apply for that leg. Is that correct? Further, has anyone had experience on that flight or similar on an Air Japan 767 re seating/comfort/"amenities"/etc. In other words, how good/bad is that plane for 4 hrs in E?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
GPUs only apply on UA/UAX and LH metal.

Air Japan 767 Y is very tight - 31" knee crusher. The service is markedly better than UA in Y.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mduell

Air Japan 767 Y is very tight - 31" knee crusher.
It's not pleasant in Y - but the connection to UA is convenient and it's only four hours. Food is better too - but pray you have open seat next to you...
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Air Japan 767 Y is very tight - 31" knee crusher. The service is markedly better than UA in Y.
This. And while the pitch is bad, the seat cushion and lumbar support is pretty good. The service is excellent, the planes are very clean, and they operate on schedule.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Lots of discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-class-5.html

I think the consensus is that if in Y, the soft product is markedly better than on UAL, you get in seat IFE, but the regional seats (no e+, 31" pitch) suck. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs, seats are tight. Doable for 4 hours, more would have had me missing E+. My kids and wife on the other hand are perfectly happy, liked it much better than UAL in E+, and will actually eat the ANA food.

If you get access, the ANA lounge at NRT has good food, much better than the UA lounge at NRT (which does have good showers though).
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Further Thoughts: OP here

Thanks to all for the comments re Air Japan (nee ANA) in Y. Wondered if it might be possible to buy up to C for just the NRT-HKG leg (all other legs to/from SEA-HKG have R availability). So I tried to do a multi-leg itinerary to see if that might be possible, but the UA web site threw up its hands & said no C seats are available for that segment. Wondered about that, so next I went to ANA per se & it appeared that there actually were some C seats for that date (Aug 1). Aha, so I called the so-called 1K Desk to get a price, but the agent was unable to break out just that one leg & could only price the whole itinerary & the price essentially doubled. OK, HUCA tomorrow. But wondering if anyone has had any experience in that situation, e.g., buying up for just one leg on an otherwise GPU upgradable itinerary. Thoughts?

Last edited by BH62; Jun 21, 2014 at 9:47 pm Reason: corrected misspelling (picky, picky, <gr>
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You can do it on matrix.itasoftware.com to get the price... it's going to be expensive, since you have to break the fare at TYO and buy a separate fare onward.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
You can do it on matrix.itasoftware.com to get the price... it's going to be expensive, since you have to break the fare at TYO and buy a separate fare onward.
This should be a decent frame of reference for you, since I did this flight less than 24 hours ago :-)

My wife and I booked DCA-EWR-NRT//NRT-HKG with less than a 24 hour stop in NRT for a couple of reasons, but we have an infant, so breaking up the trip was actually the primary reason, but naturally to use a SWU with R only showing up to Tokyo was the other.

With the less than 24 hour stop in NRT, the fare was the exact same, +/- US$10.00 but the trip was great.

Since we had an infant, perhaps the check-in agents were nice, but on arrival into Narita two days ago, as soon as we got our bags, I went back upstairs to the check-in agent and asked to reserve seats for our flight the following day. She noted our infant (I wasn't holding her at the time) and booked us in 15G/K (I think those are the seats) at the Bulkhead/1st row of coach on the far side of the plane, in a 2/3/2 format of seats. We had a bunch of space and legroom (i'm 6'1") and with no one in front of us, our daughter was playing at our feet - a great experience for sure. The service was amazing, the meals were very good and the alcohol, of course, all free. The AVOD was terrible, but the flight wasn't too long and passed by without us even thinking about it.

That said, we were VERY happy we broke up the trip with an overnight in Narita (we didn't go into Tokyo - WAY too far away for ~20 hour stay, plus it's overpriced and boring in the centre of the city). The NH lounges in Narita are great and well worth visiting early if you overnight, otherwise they are a needed stop after the crummy UA service, even in C on the TPAC flight!

Good luck, and I'd recommend taking this route if you can confirm the SWU and especially if you want to overnight in Japan or if you are willing to do the 4.75 hour flight in Y after the TPAC flight on the same day in UA...but either way, not a bad way to travel.

In addition, we've (pre kid) done the USA-NRT//HND-HKG trip as well and it's great if you want to take in Tokyo (again, this isn't even recommended as Tokyo isn't fun for tourists) and leave from the airport MUCH closer to the city. That trip, we weren't in a bulkhead on the 767 from HND, but again, still easy enough and definitely recommended, mainly since it is NOT UA!

-jeremy
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

OP (again): Seeking more info

Decided to bite the bullet, so booked outbound SEA-SFO-NRT-HKG with the 3rd flight on the "Air Japan" 767. Yes, did so despite being aware of previous replies re seat pitch. However, Seat Guru indicates "no recline" in Y ... is this true? The UA itinerary print-out indicates "Meal:none" for this leg. (BTW: the fare-class on this leg is V, all others R.) Since this leg is a 4+ hr flight with a 6:15 pm departure from NRT, what, if any, are the in-flight food options? Or do we stuff ourselves in the lounges at NRT (the layover is 4 hrs).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BH62
Decided to bite the bullet, so booked outbound SEA-SFO-NRT-HKG with the 3rd flight on the "Air Japan" 767. Yes, did so despite being aware of previous replies re seat pitch. However, Seat Guru indicates "no recline" in Y ... is this true? The UA itinerary print-out indicates "Meal:none" for this leg. (BTW: the fare-class on this leg is V, all others R.) Since this leg is a 4+ hr flight with a 6:15 pm departure from NRT, what, if any, are the in-flight food options? Or do we stuff ourselves in the lounges at NRT (the layover is 4 hrs).
The seat cushions slide forward a few inches in these fixed-back seats. So, you do get some recline, but it's into your own knee space. If you've flown AA's new domestic F seats, it should be a similar experience mechanically.

Never trust UA's data for partner meal offerings. Find your NH confirmation number and plug it into their site. You can select seats, pre-enter your passport info, and even find detailed .pdfs of the meal offerings in Y. ^

I have two upcoming flights on the Air Japan 763 in Y. Despite the paltry pitch, I'm really looking forward to the "omotenashi" service.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Originally Posted by BH62
There is a meal served on that flight. Here is the link:

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...enu/index.html
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i just did HKG -> NRT on NQ last weekend. seat pitch is tight, I requested a Row 15 bulkhead seat at HKIA check in with the SATS agent at the counter, and got a new BP for 15H at the gate. i think they reserve those seats for families with lap children and release them if those type of PAX aren't on. the middle 3 seats on the bulkhead have the most legroom.

the recline/slide was fine in the bulkhead, but looked like it was quite tight at the other seats.

in flight service was great (for me at least). in Y there was two options, I think a teriyaki chicken and pork curry. i chose the latter. beer was still comp!

i go to HKG 2 - 3 times a year and usually choose 117/116 for the TPAC seg, but I have to get to/from EWR. after this last run, I'm considering switching my return routing to use HKG -> NRT -> IAD as my go to from now on even if I can't use GPU to get up front on the NQ seg. i have gotten an op-up NRT -> HKG before on NQ but that was during heavy holiday traffic.

@KMFDM - i was leaving HKG on Sunday originally on UA116 but UG likelihood was going to 0, and 804 had R > 4 or 5 on the same day. the trick with that at the last minute is that UA kept on changing the fare availability, showing V for a few hours and then only B fares and Y fares. i luckily checked when V opened up again for a short window and switched and ate the change fee.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Never trust UA's data for partner meal offerings.
I have never been on any mainline Asia carrier that did not give you a meal in economy if the flight is over 2 hours. And when I say "meal", I mean hot meal with entree, salad and dessert, drink service and coffee served after. No snack boxes.

Even on one hour domestic flights in Thailand, Thai Airways gives you a snack box and full drink service. The crew really has to hustle to do the service in 45 minutes of level flying time.

It must be something cultural. They seem to treat you as you are a guest in their home rather than a passenger in an airplane.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Air Japan is ANA - there is no real difference, however keep in mind that you will earn 70% PQM/Miles on segments between NRT and points in China, including Hong Kong (someone please correct me if this was recently updated or changed).

Less legroom, but a nice, full hot meal, ample IFE, amazing friendly service, and if you're *G and can meet with the concierge in the ANA lounge, they will try to find you an exit row or bulkhead seat so no one reclines into your face.

Also take note how ANA/Air Japan can board their 767 in less time than United can DE-plane a 737...without any chaos, arguing, elbowing or screaming by elite or non-elite alike. That in itself is worth the price of admission.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2019 at 11:54 pm Reason: Removed OMNI comment
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Air Japan is ANA - there is no real difference, however keep in mind that you will earn 70% PQM/Miles on segments between NRT and points in communist China, including Hong Kong (someone please correct me if this was recently updated or changed).
my seg just posted at 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.