Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading award tickets for others

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
.... Would talking to the check-in or club-agents help put them on the upgrade list? ....
If the agents go by the policy, no -- the others are not eligible.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Have agents look up GG UPCODE and it's written right there what they need to do to put you on the list. It's worked for me even when the person isn't the cardholder. The agent is usually willing to do it since you know about GG UPCODE in the first place -- they just assume you know what you're talking about. In fact, I have seen this done for people on award tickets not booked by a cardholder and who are not cardholders themselves!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Have agents look up GG UPCODE and it's written right there what they need to do to put you on the list. It's worked for me even when the person isn't the cardholder. The agent is usually willing to do it since you know about GG UPCODE in the first place -- they just assume you know what you're talking about. In fact, I have seen this done for people on award tickets not booked by a cardholder and who are not cardholders themselves!
According to the Check-In agent, due to it being a non-rev ticket

I was not able to add other PAX to the wait list nor a companion.

GG Upcode requires you to pay extra miles for an upgrade which I'm not interested as I'm specifically only looking for "CPU"

Last edited by TennisNoob; Jul 4, 2014 at 4:54 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Another data point:

Booked separate 1 way tix for Mom and her friend. They show CPU requested on the reservation page, but after checkin still don't appear on the upgrade list.

Curiously, in my first call to UA elite line, when I gave her friend's PNR, the woman said he had already been upgraded. And there is a person with his initials on the list (e.g. if his name were John Smith, the upgrade list shows Smi, J). But his reservation still shows his original Economy seat. This agent transferred me to Chase Club card services to deal with my mom's ticket that hadn't been upgraded, but of course that was useless.

Second call to hotline yielded no more information, as I accidentally bumped hang up after 30 min on the line.

My argument is that when you book an award ticket for someone, he/she inherits all your status. So my mom and her friend should be eligible for CPU. Didn't hear back though because of phone issue.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bigwings8
...My argument is that when you book an award ticket for someone, he/she inherits all your status. So my mom and her friend should be eligible for CPU. Didn't hear back though because of phone issue.
I don't really think it's UA's intent to let others beside the status-holding cardholder to be upgraded on award tickets. Be that as it is, it's been good fortune (except for those pushed down in the upgrade queue) that it's been going on. Your mom and her friend "should" be eligible for the upgrade due to the flaw, but in actuality are not really supposed to be entitled to it.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Your mom and her friend "should" be eligible for the upgrade due to the flaw, but in actuality are not really supposed to be entitled to it.
Yes to get on the list at this point, your mom would need to have status and a credit card, or you would have to be on the same itin. Calling in wont help you need an agent at the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

My argument is that when you book an award ticket for someone, he/she inherits all your status. So my mom and her friend should be eligible for CPU. Didn't hear back though because of phone issue.
That argument is contrary to the rules:

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights.

If a reservation includes passengers other than the Cardmember, the Complimentary Premier Upgrade will not be processed.

It has been noted many, many times in this forum that a bug in the system nonetheless will allow processing of such upgrades prior to the list going to the gate, but that the pax will generally not be added to the gate standby list.

Nothing to see here.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Booked separate 1 way tix for Mom and her friend. They show CPU requested on the reservation page, but after checkin still don't appear on the upgrade list. ...
that is the way it works.

.... My argument is that when you book an award ticket for someone, he/she inherits all your status. So my mom and her friend should be eligible for CPU. ....
Nowhere is this stated as a benefit (neither the inherited status or the CPU benefit). These are "benefit glitches" and could disappear anytime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.