Wiki Posts
Search

Successful AA Status Matches

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Successful AA Status Matches

Enough is enough. I emailed and requested a full status match to ExPlat, I figured I'd start a thread for people who have A) requested a status match/challenge and then B) terms of that match/challenge (i.e. 10,000 EQPs in 2 months, full match w/o SWUs, full match with SWUs, etc etc).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Keep us posted. I'm curious about status matching too, but did it back in 2012 when they matched 1K straight to EXP. Would love to do it again, out of spite for UA's changes, versus back in 2012 where I did it just because I could and didn't consciously shift a lot of travel onto AA.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
SO are MP Gold getting matches to whatever their equivalent is?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I totally get wanting to leave... but if anyone thinks AA isn't ultimately going to follow UA and DL with the switch to RDM's earned based on spend and not distance.. you're dreaming. Let's not forget Doug Parker tried to blaze the trail of charging for sodas on USAir flights and was forced to retreat because no one else followed. This time he's got a sure thing. I bet the only reason they haven't already announced the change is they've got a lot on their plate with their merger..but it's coming. It's a certainty.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That may be true but for the next year, maybe UA doesn't deserve to get any more business, while at least for a year, you get a marginally better program.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I'm also interested in the outcome of the op email
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81
That may be true but for the next year, maybe UA doesn't deserve to get any more business, while at least for a year, you get a marginally better program.
this ^
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I totally get wanting to leave... but if anyone thinks AA isn't ultimately going to follow UA and DL with the switch to RDM's earned based on spend and not distance.. you're dreaming. Let's not forget Doug Parker tried to blaze the trail of charging for sodas on USAir flights and was forced to retreat because no one else followed. This time he's got a sure thing. I bet the only reason they haven't already announced the change is they've got a lot on their plate with their merger..but it's coming. It's a certainty.
I agree. Anyone who thinks AA will be what it is now is delusional.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Earn and burn - should just throw all my miles to AS and become an MVPG (maybe even MVPG75) free agent. I think I'm sadly too far down to road to getting AA plat with too few trips remaining in the year
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
We have a long-running thread on the AA forum for UA status matches. You might find some valuable information in it. I think it actually started on the UA forum in 2012 and was relocated to the AA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Might be a while , given the America West merger still is still amess
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Did AA status match (1K to Exec Plat) in January and haven't looked back. 100% upgrades on AA versus 60% with UA to the same destinations. IRROPS is better, and partner award redemption is better. I just redeemed longhaul flights: Etihad x 2, Cathay x1, Qantas x 1.

Yes I know the AA party is going to end, but at least I had 6 months with a good airline that I Would not have had if I had stuck to UA.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:04 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
With the 2015 Mileage Plus program, I gather we will see a lot more instances of United elites matching to other carriers like AA.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I agree with both of you as well. I'm sure AA will change their AAdvantage program to be similar to Sky Miles and MileagePlus. So, I, don't think it's worth switching to AA, unless traveling on AA is more convenient than United.

It's too bad that the frequent flyer programs pretty much change every year. With the current constant changes, it makes it impossible to know what any of them will be like a year from now. I bet AA would get a ton of new business travelers switching over to them if they would guarantee that their program would stay the same for the next 5 years. Of course that would never happen.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by sm71
I bet AA would get a ton of new business travelers switching over to them if they would guarantee that their program would stay the same for the next 5 years. Of course that would never happen.
You know, I'm not sure why not! Maybe 5 years is excessive, but say 3... It's not like they're losing money hand-over-fist right now, so a major upheaval in AAdvantage shouldn't be a driving factor. It's more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" kind of move, if/when they do it.

There, theoretically, could be an argument made that the incremental bump in elite travel from such a guarantee could offset the projected loss in savings from constraining the outstanding mileage pool.

It's not a terrible idea, actually, assuming the numbers would actually line up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.