Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Another Musician's Guitar Smashed By United [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Musician Ellis Paul was forced to gate check his beautiful Taylor guitar and this is what it looked like when he got it back:

https://www.facebook.com/ellispaulmu...type=1&theater

And

https://www.facebook.com/ellispaulmu...type=3&theater
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by nwburbs
Musician Ellis Paul was forced to gate check his beautiful Taylor guitar and this is what it looked like when he got it back:

https://www.facebook.com/ellispaulmu...type=1&theater

And

https://www.facebook.com/ellispaulmu...type=3&theater
Meh, I don't know if this is UA specific problem. The guitar exceeds the carry-on rules for every airline and every airline warns not to check or carry-on high-value items. Musicians (and every other passenger) should use freight carriers who specialize in high-value items and/or invest in proper containers for their items.

If UA paid for every damaged improperly packaged item that was damaged in luggage handling they would be in even worse shape than they are in now. Furthermore, Mr. Paul likely did not pay any additional fees but expected special handling of his item. Purchasing a durable container for the guitar, securing the services of a reputable freight carrier specializing in high-value items, or purchasing applicable insurance all would have made this a non-issue but he chose not to do any of those and suffered the consequences.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Should polish out.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
WOW! Imagine if it were a Stradivarius instrument, would UA force a musician to gate check it and decline to pay for any damage?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Meh, I don't know if this is UA specific problem. The guitar exceeds the carry-on rules for every airline and every airline warns not to check or carry-on high-value items. Musicians (and every other passenger) should use freight carriers who specialize in high-value items and/or invest in proper containers for their items.
Section 403 of the legislation, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, provides:

“An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage ….”

When there is not enough space in the overheads though, they can force someone to gate check an instrument.

Ellis Paul did have an appropriate hard case with padding and that was severely damaged too.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Section 403 of the legislation, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, provides:

“An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage ….”
I've tried that. To simplify matters, I told the agent that mine was an 230-string guitar but the candelabra on it said otherwise.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Ellis Paul did have an appropriate hard case with padding and that was severely damaged too.
Clearly not the case (pun intended).

While none of us will ever know, I am guessing it was more of a traditional case than those made for airline travel.

Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by GS8101
WOW! Imagine if it were a Stradivarius instrument, would UA force a musician to gate check it and decline to pay for any damage?
You buy it a ticket. I had a Cello as a seatmate once. I got to eat its ice cream
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Sympathy for musician proportional to strength of case used.

I check high value items all the time.... lots of people do. Never had any issues.

Of course, I'm also using several-hundred-dollar cases designed to resist crushing etc.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I think the airlines can destroy a guitar in just about any case, proof in this case:
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2013/0...rished-guitar/
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Clearly not the case (pun intended).

While none of us will ever know, I am guessing it was more of a traditional case than those made for airline travel.

Most likely.

If there is the slightest chance of having to check the instrument, then it needs to be in an ATA flight case. Period. @:-) I've carried bass guitars transcon, to South America, and to Europe and back, many times without incident.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, 1 Million Miler, AA ExPlat
Apparently, UAL has hired El Kabong in the baggage handler area.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.experiencetheblog.com/201...nd-social.html

The most provocative question is not whether United was transformed by social media, since it clearly was not, but why not? ...

United doesn't need to wonder the answer to these question; it got its answer back in 2009 when you, I and everyone else watched "United Breaks Guitars" and changed absolutely nothing about the way we purchase travel. The fact United has not changed its practices is not because it does not care but because we do not. Social media changes nothing by itself; if consumers are not willing or able to change their spending habits, then social media crises like "United Breaks Guitars" will always be more smoke than fire.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: Free Agent
Another Taylor? Pfft. United was doing this guy a favor. I'd be up in arms if it were a Martin though
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If the passenger cared about publicity, he got what he wanted. If the passenger cared about his instrument, he should have paid for an additional seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.