Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does your spouse/significant other still fly UA when travelling alone.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: None - previously UA

Back in the day things worked out OK, she regularly got the 3P nomination and I had CR1's, e500's etc that I could spare. Typically her travel has been in the 15K to 25K per year range, not including award travel. She even made 2P once.

Recently she voiced the opinion that flying UA with no status these days is really bad and she doesn't want to fly them anymore. She has the credit card so gets priority boarding etc.

Any other elites in the same boat, has UA lost a lot your business when it comes to the significant other and family travelling alone?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
We're almost in the opposite situation. Thanks to my MM status, my wife is 1K and she appreciates the benefit when flying alone. At this point it is this one issue that has stopped me from seeking a status match with either AA or DL.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:57 pm

Gold 1MM which gives my wife same status, but she is a confirmed
Southwest flyer. Only time she uses UA when flying solo is to burn miles.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by demosthenes1
We're almost in the opposite situation. Thanks to my MM status, my wife is 1K and she appreciates the benefit when flying alone. .
Same here... It's a nice benefit - hope it stays! (although, strictly speaking it's your 1K status that gives her 1K, otherwise she'd be a 1P on your MM lifetime status)

Agree that flying without status on UA would not be pleasant, so I assume that the OP has no UA status to share
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by StingWest
Agree that flying without status on UA would not be pleasant, so I assume that the OP has no UA status to share
Nope I'm at +/- .75MM and slowing down, so it may be a few years still.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
We're almost in the opposite situation. Thanks to my MM status, my wife is 1K and she appreciates the benefit when flying alone. At this point it is this one issue that has stopped me from seeking a status match with either AA or DL.
my 1MM status goes to my 86 year old Mom, and WOW she loves it. She travels all the time alone and its so much easier for me because UA takes care of her!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am a 1M 1K with my wife as my designee for 1K status. She flies about 15K a year on her own and 20K with me, all on United. The 1K perk makes all the difference for her. Indeed while I am still 1K, I find myself flying other carriers more frequently - not her as her schedule is more flexible.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My MM 1K status goes to my wife but after a recent flight with UA she's pronounced it's never again unless we're travelling together.

While she was en route to YVR for her flight to SFO, I saw there was R space available so applied a RPU to upgrade her from 7A to 3A on the 320. This reflected in her mobile boarding pass. But it bleeped at the gate and the agent, with no apology, said the UA systems were messed up and put her in the middle of an E- row towards the back of the bus. UA denied at the time that the upgrade was properly applied (I have no paper trail on this as it was all done over the phone and on the app), and I still have all my RPUs to go to waste. But it embarrassed her, and she was looking forward to the spectacular view which she could not see from her middle seat.

So - as she puts it - what's the point of flying a horrible airline with rude staff and uncomfortable seats, when there are alternatives out there.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Mrs PV_ is currently en route to Florida on Delta. I secured AS MVP status nomination for her this year, and as such her last UA flight without me was quite likely back in February when she burned down the last of my RPUs going to Orlando.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Despite being a 1K (via my spousal match) and a MM in her own right, last year my wife was loving traveling on DL (got a corp match to Platinum). She was blown away by the SkyClub, LGA terminal, soft product on board, etc.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
Mr Grtdane has no status with united, and lots of miles with AA - so he almost always flies AA when on his own. When we fly together, we tend to pick United as we have highest likelihood of getting upgraded.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
same here...if I ever drop below 1K and go to my MMGold, wife will probably divorce me for another 1K or upgrade to a GS!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
You guys just reminded me that I should look forward to reaching 1MM so that I can nominate either my wife or my daughter to at least Gold status or higher. At 0.81MM, I still have a couple of years to go.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
My TH, with GS status thanks to my being a million miler always flies UA and usually gets upgraded to F.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by boss315
same here...if I ever drop below 1K and go to my MMGold, wife will probably divorce me for another 1K or upgrade to a GS!
Ouch. Another morsel for the divorce lawyer sharks. Attaching to ex's lifetime status as condition.......much cheaper to keep the marriage bucket M=1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.