Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it easy to get cheap upgrade to Economy Plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

At the moment i can upgrade my Economy seat to Plus for $150, does it get much cheaper than this ie on check in? or is this roughtly what it will always be?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jason87
At the moment i can upgrade my Economy seat to Plus for $150, does it get much cheaper than this ie on check in? or is this roughly what it will always be?
No. (Question in Title).
No. (1st question in text).
Yes. (2nd question in text).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
What does get cheaper is an upgrade to Business / First, if there is availability when you check in. The amount fluctuates as you get closer to departure.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

my flight seat map is still showing almost all of the E+ as available, i thoguht theyd be almost booked by now as flight is in under 6 weeks. Hopefully theyll be a few spare i can poach lol
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
my flight seat map is still showing almost all of the E+ as available, i thoguht theyd be almost booked by now as flight is in under 6 weeks. Hopefully theyll be a few spare i can poach lol
Is regular economy mostly full?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Hopefully theyll be a few spare i can poach lol
Hopefully the FA then charges you on board for your new seat assignment.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
+1. Just because the an E+ is empty doesn't mean they're about to give it away to you for free unless you're a UA elite
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
agreed, economy plus is reserved for elites and people who have paid for their seats. I'm sure the FAs will be happy to run your credit card for your new seat.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:21 am

The business / first upgrades with cash will start disappearing as more elites clear for upgrades etc. I usually see a ton of open seats and then almost none as the 24 hour mark approaches on popular routes.

Last edited by olouie; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:52 am Reason: clarification that i was referring to upgrades
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by olouie
They will start disappearing as more elites clear for upgrades etc.
Hmm? E+ seats don't disappear when elites clear, they become available.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by olouie
They will start disappearing as more elites clear for upgrades etc. I usually see a ton of open seats and then almost none as the 24 hour mark approaches on popular routes.
Are you refrring to the ability up upgrade to business/First with cash? yes in that case the F seats will disappear as upgrades are processed

OP is referring to getting an economy plus seat which is not technically an upgrade as its the same cabin just a better seat.

Once 24 hours comes they will disappear as the Silvers now get them for free and those without seat assignments get auto assigned to E+ when E- runs out or ran out at booking
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Hopefully theyll be a few spare i can poach lol
Boo this man!

eta: I wouldn't count on poaching one for free. Many FAs are actually pretty good at protecting E+. If you're there and not supposed to be, they generally will offer to run your credit card to pay the charge, else you move back to your assigned seat.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by UTex09
Boo this man!

eta: I wouldn't count on poaching one for free. Many FAs are actually pretty good at protecting E+. If you're there and not supposed to be, they generally will offer to run your credit card to pay the charge, else you move back to your assigned seat.
Nah. FAs are good at spotting the idiots who screw it up. Few and far between are the FAs who consult the manifest (if that's even possible).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Are you refrring to the ability up upgrade to business/First with cash? yes in that case the F seats will disappear as upgrades are processed

OP is referring to getting an economy plus seat which is not technically an upgrade as its the same cabin just a better seat.

Once 24 hours comes they will disappear as the Silvers now get them for free and those without seat assignments get auto assigned to E+ when E- runs out or ran out at booking
Yeah should have clarified that the business/first upgrade with cash ability starts to go away.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
my flight seat map is still showing almost all of the E+ as available, i thoguht theyd be almost booked by now as flight is in under 6 weeks. ...
elites, especially on business travel tend to book later than the leisure traveler.

.... Hopefully theyll be a few spare i can poach lol
given E+ is an elite privilege and most posting regular on this forum are elites, you will find an unsympathetic audience to those usurping our privileges without purchasing the benefit -- we like those empty middle seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.