Search

SDC and the new android app

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM
SDC and the new android app

Nice looking app.

Where is the "change flights" option and I loved on the old app? I'm not seeing it for my flight tomorrow AM, so either it's smarter than it used to be and knows there are no eligible flights to change to, or I can't find the button.

Tried reservations, checking in, boarding pass, nada.

Anybody help me out? At least I can pass the time with sudoku.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
It means there are no eligible flights that it's seeing.

With SDC, you're best off learning the rules and checking manually.

Availability opens up closer to the time of the flight.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's under checkin, and it's not a button or link, it's a picture (looks like an ad, so I almost missed it since I was ignoring it).

It's some dude with a smartphone in front of some airport monitors and it says choose another flight or something.

I think we're trained to ignore stuff like that because it looks like Internet ads.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
It means there are no eligible flights that it's seeing.

With SDC, you're best off learning the rules and checking manually.

Availability opens up closer to the time of the flight.
I know what the rules are and when things really open up. How, pray tell, am I supposed to check it manually on the android app where there is no expert mode?

And if I check for it manually on a real compute, as I'm doing it now, I see tons of L-availability for the 10:47 UA550 SFO-PDX form which I want to SDC off of my 6am flight tomorrow SFO-PDX

Given that, and since I'm already checked in and don't see that spiffy dude with a smartphone, am I out of luck with the app?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryman554
I know what the rules are and when things really open up. How, pray tell, am I supposed to check it manually on the android app where there is no expert mode?

And if I check for it manually on a real compute, as I'm doing it now, I see tons of L-availability for the 10:47 UA550 SFO-PDX form which I want to SDC off of my 6am flight tomorrow SFO-PDX

Given that, and since I'm already checked in and don't see that spiffy dude with a smartphone, am I out of luck with the app?
You could just use expert mode using a web browser instead of using the app. That's what I do.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBadger
You could just use expert mode using a web browser instead of using the app. That's what I do.
I would do that, except sometimes I'm in meetings and don't want to have to call in (note, today web browser is also not letting me change?) the SDC. Much easier and less disruptive that way, and done many times on the old app -- even on the way to the airport!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by GBadger
the old app you could SDC even after checking in. is that possible on the new one?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haddon90
the old app you could SDC even after checking in. is that possible on the new one?
Yes
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryman554
I would do that, except sometimes I'm in meetings and don't want to have to call in (note, today web browser is also not letting me change?) the SDC. Much easier and less disruptive that way, and done many times on the old app -- even on the way to the airport!
I don't use the Android App.

The question I was addressing was about checking for availability when "Expert Mode was not available in the App". Sorry if that wasn't clear in my first post. All I'm saying is that Expert Mode is perfectly available in a web browser. How to then apply that information without calling is a separate issue.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by channa
Yes
cool. i have my first flight saturday with the new app. so i'll have to play around with it and see how it goes.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
cool. i have my first flight saturday with the new app. so i'll have to play around with it and see how it goes.
You can revisit OLCI and look at SDC options, change seats, etc. as many times as you want after checkin.

I had a flight yesterday that I ended up changing 5 times as progressively better options became available closer to departure.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It's under checkin, and it's not a button or link, it's a picture (looks like an ad, so I almost missed it since I was ignoring it).

It's some dude with a smartphone in front of some airport monitors and it says choose another flight or something.

I think we're trained to ignore stuff like that because it looks like Internet ads.
I couldn't find it either, so I ended up changing my flight on my laptop. I'll have to look for it next week when I'm traveling again.-
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make sure you have a full battery, enough bandwidth on your plan, and you have plenty of time. The new app is a hog.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I tried the new United app on somebody's tablet last week. It was nearly unusable. Nothing intuitive about it at all. Thank goodness United forgot to post the new Android package in the Blackberry store! My Q10 is still comfortably running the previous Android app. It's nice being the red-headed step-child every now and then
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:11 pm

Make sure you have a full battery, enough bandwidth on your plan, and you have plenty of time. The new app is a hog.
just got the s5 so i'm good to go!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.