Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA given upgrade over CPU?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
FA given upgrade over CPU?

I'm not even sure if I should post this...or if it's been discussed before.

Purchased a pricey M-class, domestic fare out of IAH to destination XXX. Forgot to put in for a RPU, because I was more focused on work.
Departure comes around and I'm 2nd on the list for a CPU. Boarded plane and eventually GA comes through and asks for #1 on the list who, somehow, isn't in his seat or around. GA gives the upgrade to an FA, doesn't even consider 2nd or 3rd on the list.

Now I wasn't all butt-hurt or anything, but given my yearly spend, status, and the $$$$ I spent on the fare, kinda thought it'd be a nice gesture...but I didn't dwell on it.
Turns out there was a GS behind me and more than a few other premier members upset over it.

So...is this something that should be mentioned to UA? (Posted??!)
It was CO staff on board and GA, so...

What say the wise ones here? First time I've ever seen this in 15 years.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fastfxr
.... So...is this something that should be mentioned to UA? ....
yes send an email to 1KVoice but the documented record may a different outcome. My guess the GA wanted to get the flight out ad not take the effort to drill down to the next person. And helping a fellow employee was the easy fast solution.The general term for this is "shenanigans."
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
GAs are only human, often underpaid, and make mistakes... if I were you I'd complain but this story doesn't surprise me in the slightest... the GS probably should have gotten it though
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm not even sure if I should post this...or if it's been discussed before.

Purchased a pricey M-class, domestic fare out of IAH to destination XXX. Forgot to put in for a RPU, because I was more focused on work.
Departure comes around and I'm 2nd on the list for a CPU. Boarded plane and eventually GA comes through and asks for #1 on the list who, somehow, isn't in his seat or around. GA gives the upgrade to an FA, doesn't even consider 2nd or 3rd on the list.

Now I wasn't all butt-hurt or anything, but given my yearly spend, status, and the $$$$ I spent on the fare, kinda thought it'd be a nice gesture...but I didn't dwell on it.
Turns out there was a GS behind me and more than a few other premier members upset over it.

So...is this something that should be mentioned to UA? (Posted??!)
It was CO staff on board and GA, so...

What say the wise ones here? First time I've ever seen this in 15 years.

On an M class ticket, surprised you weren't upgraded at time of booking.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes send an email to 1KVoice but the documented record may a different outcome. My guess the GA wanted to get the flight out ad not take the effort to drill down to the next person. And helping a fellow employee was the easy fast solution.The general term for this is "shenanigans."
Agreed here. I think it'd be a bigger issue if the GA just skipped over the list entirely. But if they went down to upgrade #1 on the list into the last seat, it's unlikely they had the information with them for #2 and so on, because they weren't expecting to need it with only one seat left. So once they couldn't find that person, it likely wasn't worth the additional time needed to go back up, get the list, see where the next person was seated, walk back down, tell that person, have them move their stuff, etc. Especially if it was getting too close to departure time. All things considered, particularly it being a short domestic flight, I don't think it's a huge issue worth making a real fuss about.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
On an M class ticket, surprised you weren't upgraded at time of booking.
No PN at booking? but probably existed at check-in and that may have been a missed opportunity.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Thank you for the replies. I find it extremely difficult to complain about not getting a CPU. Mostly just wanted to know if this was common at all as I've never seen it...guess I know now.

Cheers!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I find it extremely difficult to complain about not getting a CPU.
Don't worry, the other 99% of members here have you covered there.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
friends&family always trumps overentitled elites on UA
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by JC5280
Don't worry, the other 99% of members here have you covered there.
Nice! Expectation is that your CPU rate should be 99.44/100 unless you are an UGS out of SFO.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Agreed here. I think it'd be a bigger issue if the GA just skipped over the list entirely. But if they went down to upgrade #1 on the list into the last seat, it's unlikely they had the information with them for #2 and so on, because they weren't expecting to need it with only one seat left. So once they couldn't find that person, it likely wasn't worth the additional time needed to go back up, get the list, see where the next person was seated, walk back down, tell that person, have them move their stuff, etc. Especially if it was getting too close to departure time. All things considered, particularly it being a short domestic flight, I don't think it's a huge issue worth making a real fuss about.
+1 - I bet this is exactly what happened. Is it right - No, its not - but I understand them wanting to get the plane out on time. When a company sets up an incentive structure that puts them at odds with customer service things like this will happen...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A 1K on an M fare should have trumped a CPU in any event.

But, the fact is that once you board, you have lost your place on the UG list unless you have made specific arrangements w. the GA and the GA has specifically agreed to come find you if you make it.

What you saw here isn't likely shennanigans, but rather exactly why it is a bad idea -- other than for the pax who misses the UG -- to disrupt the boarding process for UG's. Messing around finding people on a list as the clock ticks down is exactly what delays flights.

This is one where, had OP waited at the gate because F had not boarded full, he would have been standing there when the seat came open (and presumably #1 had boarded or not and lost his slot).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1

But, the fact is that once you board, you have lost your place on the UG list unless you have made specific arrangements w. the GA and the GA has specifically agreed to come find you if you make it.

What you saw here isn't likely shennanigans, but rather exactly why it is a bad idea -- other than for the pax who misses the UG -- to disrupt the boarding process for UG's. Messing around finding people on a list as the clock ticks down is exactly what delays flights.

This is one where, had OP waited at the gate because F had not boarded full, he would have been standing there when the seat came open (and presumably #1 had boarded or not and lost his slot).
Really? I don't think so - the GA boarded the plane to look for #1 on the list and didn't find him/her. It sounds like (and this is my assumption) the GA stayed on board and upgraded the FA. That means the OP would have been left standing at the podium with F full and potentially no luggage space when he/she finally boarded.

Fix the system, not the customer!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
what flight was it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.