Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying first class? / business for first time ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi this is my first post so please excuse me if this is a total novice set if questions ....
I booked a trip for my wife and I to mexico for our anniversary and to make it special I decided to add first class airfare to our trip. Neither if us has ever flown first class.
We are flying direct from Denver to cancun (but staying south closer to playa).
When I booked the tickets it was listed as first class but now I notice our it smart says "united business". Best I can tell this is only a two class airplane.
It's a 747-900 and we have seats 2a and 2b.
A couple if questions?

Are we flying first class?
I think we are....

What kinds if things can we expect for being in first class?
It's a 3:55min flight leaving at 10:10am

Do we get a meal or just snacks?

Alcoholic drinks?
Where not big drinkers due to our busy lives, but since were in a vacation for the first time in years and we don't have to drive when we get hopping to have a few a relax.

Do these planes have tv's?
Shared or individual?

Will we get to check out the united club?

I'm excited to fly first for the first time so please give me any detail about wgat we can expect or not expect.

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the forum.

Others will reply with far more knowledge than me, but I think your aircraft may be a B737-900 (not B747) [but I have not checked]

In North America its common for the same seat, on the same aircraft, to be sold as first class if on a USA domestic flight and business class if on an intentional flight

Your flight details on the United web site should have a details of food & drink options, but keep your expectations low.

If you are not a member of a freq flyer program sign you and your wife up for United ffp.

Edit:
B737 Flight UA1119
http://info.flightmapper.net/route/U...nes_UA_DEN_CUN

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
You should post this in the United forum, they'll know a lot more.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Mark Davis
Hi this is my first post so please excuse me if this is a total novice set if questions ....
I booked a trip for my wife and I to mexico for our anniversary and to make it special I decided to add first class airfare to our trip. Neither if us has ever flown first class.
We are flying direct from Denver to cancun (but staying south closer to playa)....
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since the subject of your post pertains specifically to UA, I've moved the thread to our United forum where it will likely receive more knowledgable attention.

FlyerTalkers replying to this query are asked to please note that this post originated at the flame-free Information Desk.

Thank you, and best of luck to the poster!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
When I booked the tickets it was listed as first class but now I notice our it smart says "united business". Best I can tell this is only a two class airplane.
A couple if questions?

I think we are....

Alcoholic drinks?
Where not big drinkers due to our busy lives, but since were in a vacation for the first time in years and we don't have to drive when we get hopping to have a few a relax.

Shared or individual?

I'm excited to fly first for the first time so please give me any detail about wgat we can expect or not expect.

Thanks
I think you mean 737-900

This should be first class with a meal and alcoholic drinks.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Yes 737-900
, typo on my part. Sorry
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL plat
There is no such thing as a 747-900 and if there was, it would not be used on this route. I assume you meant a 737-900. If you've ever been on a 3 by 3 plane, up in front there is 2 by 2 seating. That is where you will be. Slightly larger seat, more recline, better headrest, and a warm (hopefully) meal. You will have IFE (directv) assuming the plane doesn't change as all 739s have been updated.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:42 pm

Yes 737-900
, typo on my part. Sorry
Yes, those seats are basically first class. On international it's more of a Biz class seat which is why it's labeled that way.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You are on a 737-900 and will get lunch, drinks are free, and there is a personal TV with DirectTV. You can check out the link below for more info and pictures.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._737-900_A.php
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:08 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
You are on a 737-900 and will get lunch, drinks are free, and there may be a personal TV with DirectTV, or no inflight entertainment at all. You can check out the link below for more info and pictures.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._737-900_A.php
Fixed it for you, bolding mine.

OP, note that there are several 737-900s flying around that have no entertainment whatsoever. There is a chance that your aircraft may be one of those.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You are in the front cabin, which on the 737's UA calls "First" on domestic routes and "Business" on latin america routes.

The seat is bigger than a coach seat, with quite a bit more personal space. If you like bulkhead seats, 1A/1B are good on that aircraft, 1E/1F are not.

They will serve lunch. Don't set your expectations too high in terms of food quality. Beverages will be free, so by all means, start your vacation out on a celebratory note!

You may or may not have DirecTV, depending on aircraft. You should have power outlets at the seats in case you want to bring your own personal entertainment device.

You will be able to access the United Club in Denver prior to departure.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
... On international it's more of a Biz class seat which is why it's labeled that way.
international J circa 1985
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kacee
You may or may not have DirecTV, depending on aircraft.
One note--live satellite TV won't work once you get a bit south of the US-Mexico border. The ~10 movies on the first ~10 channels will continue to play once the aircraft has left satellite coverage, though.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
A couple if questions?

I think we are....

Alcoholic drinks?

Shared or individual?

Thanks
I would've expected this question to be answered line-by-line by this point. It hasn't, so here goes...

1. You will be flying in business class. These are the same seats (and slightly better service) found on domestic US first class, but United calls it business class on short-haul Latin America routes to diferentiate it from their higher standard long haul international first class.

2. Expect priority boarding, a pre-departure beverage (probably but not guaranteed) wider seats with greater recline and legroom, and hopefully more attentive and personalized service throughout the flight.

3. You will get a meal. Don't set your expectations too high.

4. Alcoholic beverages will be available and complimentary. Expect $10 retail wines and mid-tier spirits.

5. You will likely have individual TVs with direct tv programming and a few looped movies. The direct tv will cut out shortly after leaving US airspace. There is a chance however you will be on one of the 737-900 with no inflight entertainment at all.

6. You will have access to the United Clubs in Denver.

7. Enjoy your trip!

My bad, after saying that OP's question hadn't been answered line-by-line, I saw Kacee did in fact do just that.

Last edited by btbx11; Apr 18, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
The biggest thing is don't get too excited for this as short-haul business class or domestic first isn't... well all that exciting. It is certainly better than coach any day so don't get me wrong there.

Where you really see a huge difference is on long-haul businessfirst or global first when flying TPAC/TATL.

Here is the link to United's website showing amenities for business flights (notice the difference between business and businessfirst at the bottom): http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.