Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL (United Airlines) 1Q 2014 Results, Discussion, News, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: spin88
So that the numbers don't get lost, here are the current estimates, and 1Q 2013 numbers, and the actual results can be added in the next few days:

DAL – earnings released on 4/23

1Q 2013 results: .10/share - $85M profit
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .29/share - $244M profit
1Q estimated revenue: $8.92B, 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.5B

Actual results
:

- $281M net income, 33c/share. [Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $444M]
- PRASM up 3.5%, yield up 1.7%; domestic yield +5.3%
- ASM +1.7%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was + .3%
- Operating Revenue: 8.916B (+5%); Passenger Revenue 7.677B ( up 4.9%)
- $951 in operating cash flow and $390M in free cash, net debt $9.1M
- 2Q projections: Operating margin 14-16%, CASM + 0-2%.

http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...t/default.aspx

UAL – earnings released on 4/24

1Q 2013 results: (.98)/share - ($364M) loss
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: (1.35)/share - ($501M) loss
1Q estimated revenue $8.71B; 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.72B.

Actual results:
- ($489M) loss, ($1.33)/share loss ex-special charges
- ($609M) loss, ($1.66)/share GAAP [What the difference is will be interesting]
- PRASM down (2%)
- Yield down (2%)
- Total Revenue down (.3%) to 8.7B
- Passenger revenue down (2.3%) to 7.4B
- ancelary fees income up 7.6%
- CASM +1%
- mainline OT - 74.3%
- 2Q 2014 guidance: PRASM +1-3%.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....731&highlight=

AAL - earnings released on 4/24.

Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .48/share - $226M profit
1Q estimated revenue $10.02B

Actual results
:

- .65/share, $480M profit GAAP
- .54/share, $408M profit excluding one-time items
- Revenue 10B (+5.6% on combined basis)
- yield +3.2% (to 17.03 c/mi)
- PRASM +2.9%
- ASM +2%
Print Wikipost

UAL (United Airlines) 1Q 2014 Results, Discussion, News, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I'm not blaming DEN as the culprit, but we did see some cancellations due to extreme cold weather more than snow.
Who is this WE? I think the Polar Vortex has messed with your geography. Denver is not in the Midwest.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by hobo13
Who is this WE? I think the Polar Vortex has messed with your geography. Denver is not in the Midwest.
did I say Denver is in teh Midwest?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by channa
The other carriers had less of a brunt because they ran many of their flights while UA was cancelling into the very same airports.
. . . But no one can argue that the hubs that UA has took huge hits this 1Q. ORD itself was absolutely horrendous this 1Q.
But ORD is a prime example of what channa is talking about. There were times that UA was cancelling flights from ORD while AA was continuing to fly to the same cities from ORD.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
But ORD is a prime example of what channa is talking about. There were times that UA was cancelling flights from ORD while AA was continuing to fly to the same cities from ORD.
In all fairness, on the second day of that strategy, AA's fuel lines at ORD froze, and their operation promptly melted down with tons connecting passengers in the airport. Whether or not UA was right in shifting passengers to other hubs on those days isn't for me to say, but it seems evident that it was not a baseless decision.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
did I say Denver is in teh Midwest?
Well, you say 'WE had some cxls due to freezing cold'.

You could be talking about WE, as in your company.

Or you could be talking about WE as in Chicago, or the Midwest.

Either way, please show me just how many cancellations you can attribute to cold at DEN. Sorry, just another excuse.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The DOT data show that in January, DL canceled more flights than UA.

That's interesting. So much for UA having a disparate impact due to the weather.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If anything, UA has quite an advantage vs. other airlines because of DEN. It's a modern, extremely efficiently laid out airport specifically built for bad weather, while all the others are legacy airports with all sorts of quirks in short runways, intersecting runways, etc.

UA trying to play the boo-hoo card because the weather somehow impacted them worse than other airlines is downright silly.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I always found in business that when I lowered the quality of my product relative to the competition that my customers generally bought less of it and were not willing to pay as high a price for it. Of course the airline business might be different. After all Jeff is a genius. I'm sure he's got it figured out.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 5khours
I always found in business that when I lowered the quality of my product relative to the competition that my customers generally bought less of it and were not willing to pay as high a price for it.
Obviously you didn't have the network that UA has. Or the 787.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Amusing to see all of you stock market experts on here...

UA's stock is still higher than Delta or American. I'm not saying UA is perfect but until UA's stock drops below the others (and they are gutting their programs too -- American is currently gutting their mileage program as seen today, etc etc.)...get over it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Originally Posted by Kacee
Obviously you didn't have the network that UA has. Or the 787.
Or ANA as a JV partner.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by novaguy30
UA's stock is still higher than Delta or American. I'm not saying UA is perfect but until UA's stock drops below the others (and they are gutting their programs too -- American is currently gutting their mileage program as seen today, etc etc.)...get over it.
Are you seriously saying that price per share considered by itself means anything at all???

Do you have any concept of float? Or market cap? Or relative performance. OMG.

fwiw, UAL has the smallest market cap of the three legacies - only 58% of DAL's and 95% of AAL's.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Yeah...my point is everyone is trying to measure every angle except the actual price of the stock. You'd never know what the price was based on all of the complaints on here. I know everyone has their pants in a bunch because UA doesnt worship 1K's like it used to but it's not going to change and certainly not based on what American or Delta plan on doing in the future.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you seriously saying that price per share considered by itself means anything at all???

Do you have any concept of float? Or market cap? Or relative performance. OMG.

fwiw, UAL has the smallest market cap of the three legacies - only 58% of DAL's and 95% of AAL's.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Amusing to see all of you stock market experts on here...

At the risk of further embarrassing yourself, I would suggest that you take a high school level economics class, in which you will be taught that you can't compare companies by their stock prices. Each company has different numbers of stocks outstanding. You compare companies by their market capitalization, also known as "value."

Market Capitalization = stock price x shares outstanding

Here's a comparison of U.S.A.'s top four airlines (as of April 8, 2014):

Airline / Stock $ / Mkt Cap
DAL / $33.51 / $28.29B
AAL / $35.98 / $ 16.97B
LUV / $23.51 / $16.50B
UAL / $43.31 / $16.08B

By this measure, you can quote this "stock market expert": UA is the smallest of the Big Four airlines.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:45 am

Yeah...my point is everyone is trying to measure every angle except the actual price of the stock. You'd never know what the price was based on all of the complaints on here. I know everyone has their pants in a bunch because UA doesnt worship 1K's like it used to but it's not going to change and certainly not based on what American or Delta plan on doing in the future.
The "price" of the stock means nothing considered independent of float (shares outstanding).

The market currently places a higher overall value on both DAL and AAL than UA (market cap calculated as shares outstanding times price per share). UA simply has fewer shares outstanding than either DAL or AAL, that's why each UAL share is priced higher.

Pretty sad when the market puts a higher value on a company that's just exiting bankruptcy and still has negative earnings (AAL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.