Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL (United Airlines) 1Q 2014 Results, Discussion, News, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: spin88
So that the numbers don't get lost, here are the current estimates, and 1Q 2013 numbers, and the actual results can be added in the next few days:

DAL – earnings released on 4/23

1Q 2013 results: .10/share - $85M profit
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .29/share - $244M profit
1Q estimated revenue: $8.92B, 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.5B

Actual results
:

- $281M net income, 33c/share. [Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $444M]
- PRASM up 3.5%, yield up 1.7%; domestic yield +5.3%
- ASM +1.7%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was + .3%
- Operating Revenue: 8.916B (+5%); Passenger Revenue 7.677B ( up 4.9%)
- $951 in operating cash flow and $390M in free cash, net debt $9.1M
- 2Q projections: Operating margin 14-16%, CASM + 0-2%.

http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...t/default.aspx

UAL – earnings released on 4/24

1Q 2013 results: (.98)/share - ($364M) loss
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: (1.35)/share - ($501M) loss
1Q estimated revenue $8.71B; 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.72B.

Actual results:
- ($489M) loss, ($1.33)/share loss ex-special charges
- ($609M) loss, ($1.66)/share GAAP [What the difference is will be interesting]
- PRASM down (2%)
- Yield down (2%)
- Total Revenue down (.3%) to 8.7B
- Passenger revenue down (2.3%) to 7.4B
- ancelary fees income up 7.6%
- CASM +1%
- mainline OT - 74.3%
- 2Q 2014 guidance: PRASM +1-3%.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....731&highlight=

AAL - earnings released on 4/24.

Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .48/share - $226M profit
1Q estimated revenue $10.02B

Actual results
:

- .65/share, $480M profit GAAP
- .54/share, $408M profit excluding one-time items
- Revenue 10B (+5.6% on combined basis)
- yield +3.2% (to 17.03 c/mi)
- PRASM +2.9%
- ASM +2%
Print Wikipost

UAL (United Airlines) 1Q 2014 Results, Discussion, News, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Yet thousands of flight cancellations across other carriers as well, and so far their prelims don't look at bad...

Sad if the employee base is starting to buy into management's excuses.
Yup. Apparently DL and AA are unaffected by weather. Doesn't hit their hubs.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Yet thousands of flight cancellations across other carriers as well, and so far their prelims don't look at bad...

Sad if the employee base is starting to buy into management's excuses.
other carriers didnt have the big of a brunt. The storms literally seemed to go west to east which hits 5 of UA hubs.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CALMSP
other carriers didnt have the big of a brunt. The storms literally seemed to go west to east which hits 5 of UA hubs.
The other carriers had less of a brunt because they ran many of their flights while UA was cancelling into the very same airports.

Then UA management foolishly came out and said that since the Express operation took the biggest hit, and Express has the highest fares per seat mile, there would be a PRASM hit due to the storm. Meanwhile, the others said since the cancellations caused pax to be flown on fewer seats, we expect a PRASM gain from the storm.

At some point, people gotta start questioning what this management team says.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The other carriers had less of a brunt because they ran many of their flights while UA was cancelling into the very same airports.

Then UA management foolishly came out and said that since the Express operation took the biggest hit, and Express has the highest fares per seat mile, there would be a PRASM hit due to the storm. Meanwhile, the others said since the cancellations caused pax to be flown on fewer seats, we expect a PRASM gain from the storm.

At some point, people gotta start questioning what this management team says.
I know, b/c DL/AA also have 5 hubs in the same locations I just mentioned.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I know, b/c DL/AA also have 5 hubs in the same locations I just mentioned.
Come on, now. AA has ORD, JFK/LGA, PHL and DCA. That's 4 that closely mirror several of the UA hubs you mentioned.

DL has JFK/LGA, CVG, DTW, and they also got hit at ATL with a couple of freak storms (and ATL Is ill prepared to deal with any sort of snow).

This was not isolated to UA. Not even close.

All I know is when UA cancels into a city, I try to get 1K to book me on DL, because they're usually flying.

btw, we had a very dry winter here in SFO, so UA should have done really well all winter long in SFO. That should have helped results, no?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:17 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Come on, now. AA has ORD, JFK/LGA, PHL and DCA. That's 4 that closely mirror several of the UA hubs you mentioned.
DFW (AA's biggest hub) got hit pretty bad this winter as well, and they are less equipped to deal with winter weather compared to some of the other hubs.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:18 pm

DL has JFK/LGA, CVG, DTW, and they also got hit at ATL with a couple of freak storms (and ATL Is ill prepared to deal with any sort of snow).

This was not isolated to UA. Not even close.

All I know is when UA cancels into a city, I try to get 1K to book me on DL, because they're usually flying.

btw, we had a very dry winter here in SFO, so UA should have done really well all winter long in SFO. That should have helped results, no?
forgot to add IAH on that as well. I'd like to see the comparison in all the hubs, but I dont have the figures. But no one can argue that the hubs that UA has took huge hits this 1Q. ORD itself was absolutely horrendous this 1Q.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
These are DL's March 2014 numbers, for comparison's sake:

System ASM: +3.2%
System RPM: +3.9%
→ LF +0.6
PRASM ~ +1%

UA
System ASM: +2.7%
System RPM: +0.7%
→ LF -1.6
PRASM ???

Pretty poor showing on UA's part, imo. Every airline is citing the April Easter for their lackluster March performance; however, with UA's numbers, I doubt I will be impressed with their March PRASM, either.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of my staff was stuck in ATL during one of the freak storms. He went to ATL on UA, couldn't get home on UA, and DL eventually got him home.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Wasn't there an article posted a few days ago about how DL had many days without any cancellations, partially due to their determination that pax preferred delays over cancellations?

I have to agree with DL on this one; I recall back when UA wasn't so cancel-happy, and several trips where I did get home even if it was at 1 or 2am. Seems like they changed their strategy around 2007 or 2008, and subsequently I spent a few nights stuck at ORD and long subsequent days scrambling from gate to gate seeing if I cleared standby (as confirmable space was 2-3 days distant).

Give me a 3 hour delay over that any day of the week.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
AA Load Factor was down 1.6% in March. Which they blame on 34,000 cancellations.

Until you see the revenue numbers it is hard to make much of the reports.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Corpora...h/9361004.html
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
an expected bad quarter. Thousands and thousands of flight cancellations across DEN-ORD-CLE-EWR/IAD almost per storm.
DEN? Really? Do you have any idea how far behind we are on snow?

Thus far this year, the foothills have not had a single storm dump more than a foot. Very odd for us.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by hobo13
DEN? Really? Do you have any idea how far behind we are on snow?

Thus far this year, the foothills have not had a single storm dump more than a foot. Very odd for us.
I agree 100%.

We haven't had a storm dump more than 6" in the city. With the exception of a couple of times it got cold in DEN there is no excuse at all to include DEN on a list of getting storms as indicated originally by CALMSP.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
You can't blame the drop in load factor on cancellations -- an empty seat has to get off the ground in order for it to count as an empty seat. Similarly, imo it's pointless to talk about UA's March cancellations in light of the fact that YOY capacity increased during the period.

Simply, UA flew more empty seats in March. They can blame the April Easter all they want, but the result stands in contrast to DL that upped their LF in the same period on more capacity than last year as well.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ncorman
I agree 100%.

We haven't had a storm dump more than 6" in the city. With the exception of a couple of times it got cold in DEN there is no excuse at all to include DEN on a list of getting storms as indicated originally by CALMSP.
I'm not blaming DEN as the culprit, but we did see some cancellations due to extreme cold weather more than snow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.