Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Coming Soon: Nearly 500 Power Outlets At Hubs and Line Stations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming Soon: Nearly 500 Power Outlets At Hubs and Line Stations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelBeat
I'm standing up for my fellow SFO-based United loyalists.

Are there plans to roll these things out in Concourse F & G, where outlets are desperately lacking. ....
SFO does not appear to be in the initial roll-out.
The airline will begin installing the charging stations at its Houston, Los Angeles, Newark and Washington Dulles hubs in the coming weeks as well, along with New York LaGuardia and Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Delta started the same thing 2 years ago. UA made a big announcement about this 2 years later (3/27/2014), and people are happy.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...144100734.html

Come on UA - come up with one idea on your own. The only reason UA needs these is because there is no "juice" on the plane. So on a 6-8 hour flt on UA, I am SOL half way through. How about a 10 hour flt. I also need to download my own movies, music, etc. on most UA flts.

From what I read, UA purchased 500 of these. Not just for "hubs". Add up the numbers - It does not work.

Perhaps take out a few seats and put them on planes, or perhaps we can ask the Pilot to stop in OKC so we can recharge on the ground, instead at 30,000 feet. Come on UA.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: HH honors, Mileage Plus, Delta
do they have a coin slot like an old fashion parking meter? If not Smisek must be slipping. this could be a good revenue stream a quarter for 10 minutes of power.

If they had a Credit card reader on it they could spin it as a way to get more miles. "Just swipe your Mileage Plus credit card while recharging your electronics and get extra miles while you sit at the gate!!! Just another way that we are enhancing your flying experience on United Airlines."

I would settle for a USB port for charging tablets. I have an upcoming flight 13+ hour flight on a UA 747 in economy. I will be lucky to get half way thru the flight before my tablet and battery pack are out of juice.

I should be just be thankful that UA has not installed "better" slim line seats on the 747.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kettle1
Delta started the same thing 2 years ago. UA made a big announcement about this 2 years later (3/27/2014), and people are happy.
And both are doing it years after WN.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:19 am

Some good ideas should be copied. There's nothing wrong with that.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'm still a bit mystified when I see folks scrounging for power outlets at airports. Once I spotted these, I stopped having the issue. Come on folks, get with the program!!!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Local Chicago news stated that ORD would get 110 of the power stations. I think that's a little more than 1 per gate. Better than nothing, but I agree with others here that this better not be used as an excuse to slow down upgrading planes with power. If its an add-on, I don't see how this can be a bad thing.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JBord
but I agree with others here that this better not be used as an excuse to slow down upgrading planes with power.
Separate departments and budgets. I don't think that's a reasonable concern. It is not like there are only so many receptacles produced each year and UA is on a quota where they cannot buy more if they want.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
putting power at gates : putting power on planes :: cooking dinner : opening a restaurant.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'm still a bit mystified when I see folks scrounging for power outlets at airports. Once I spotted these, I stopped having the issue. Come on folks, get with the program!!!
Heavy. I do prefer to only carry stuff I actually need.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Separate departments and budgets. I don't think that's a reasonable concern. It is not like there are only so many receptacles produced each year and UA is on a quota where they cannot buy more if they want.
Yeah, that's what I'd assume. My point was if they decide to slow down plane upgrades for any reason I can see them pointing to the fact you can charge devices at gates as a perfectly acceptable alternative. Separate budgets would actually support this idea.

I'm not saying it will happen, or that it's even likely. Just saying I'll be disappointed, but not shocked, if it does. Again, overall, I don't see a downside here as others in the thread have mentioned.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Heavy. I do prefer to only carry stuff I actually need.

My Mophie weighs about 8 oz...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:32 am

I think it is crazy how United is always several steps behind Delta and can't catch up.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Like I said before, it's even on the news in Chicago, this is all a PR stunt, that's about it.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Like I said before, it's even on the news in Chicago, this is all a PR stunt, that's about it.
You certainly wouldn't want them to get any positive publicity for doing good things. If that happens, they might even keep it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.