Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much discretion do FAs have giving out free drinks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much discretion do FAs have giving out free drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by expo
here on a flight back to the west coast...flight attendant comes back to me in Y and offers me a complimentary grown-up drink from 1st class.

i ask her why, and she says "because you're a 1K and depending on service/busy-ness, i try to do it for our 1Ks." proceeds to check in with a few other passengers and brings back the drinks (in glasses).

is this a "thing" now? or did i just get a super awesome (pmUA) flight attendant? (am on an A320)
I've had it happen exactly once in about a million miles of flying (well, maybe 75% of that was in E).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:52 am

Nice to hear.

Before CPU and as a 1k, in-flight a UX FA came up to me in Y, looked at the manifest and said, "Mr. DBCME, there's a party up front, why don't you join us?" And she re-seated me.

A VDB that didn't work out, GA communicated with FA that I was a 1K and to keep the adult drinks flowing in-flight for me.

Other random acts of kindness equate to < 5% of all flights. Which keeps it special touch.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:52 am

Happened to me this year

It happened to me this year. I rarely drink on planes, but I had one drink this time. It was really nice.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I've heard of this happening but in all the times that I've been back in Y I've never had it happen to me.

I think it's a nice touch and you definitely had a great FA. Make sure she gets credit for her above and beyond work.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Interesting, I've never seen this happen. Every once in a while, an FA will comp me a beer if I try to pay with a drink voucher and there was a delay. I appreciate it when it happens. It's the little things.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
pmCO and pmUA are worthless now as thats in the past. Its about customer service in general moving forward and this FA was an example of going beyond.

Just goes to show how important customer service can be and how one person can very much cheer up another person's entire day or flight. Well done FA especially for sticking to your personal values of how you deliver customer service and honesty "because you're a 1K and depending on service/busy-ness, i try to do it for our 1Ks."

Now if only you could teach this principle to everyone at UA then what a difference it could make. Not the fact that you gave a free drink, but moreover that you had the ambition to think of offering it.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Originally Posted by expo
here on a flight back to the west coast...flight attendant comes back to me in Y and offers me a complimentary grown-up drink from 1st class.

i ask her why, and she says "because you're a 1K and depending on service/busy-ness, i try to do it for our 1Ks." proceeds to check in with a few other passengers and brings back the drinks (in glasses).

is this a "thing" now? or did i just get a super awesome (pmUA) flight attendant? (am on an A320)
Nice touch, never happened to me, once I go beyond the mesh curtain I go to another dimension.I have seen recognition on QF both liquid and non liquid for high tier flyers, when I was high in SQ I did not see it either
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Last year I did a MR SNA-IAH-DTW-IAH-SNA. Turns out the flights were all on the same plane with the same crew. I got CPUed for the first three segments, but was in E+ for the last one. Lead FA in First laughed when he saw me reboard in DTW for IAH. Drank red wine on the first three segments (even the morning one).

When he saw that I was not in First on the last segment (IAH-SNA), he came back with two cups of red wine. I was extremely happy and let him know how much I appreciated the gesture. Other flyers around me wanted to know what the deal was, and I told them my trip was a MR. Some smiled and some rolled their eyes...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I was recently given a bottle of wine for being "the only FC passenger to watch the entire safety video." She even asked if I preferred red or white.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I was recently given a bottle of wine for being "the only FC passenger to watch the entire safety video." She even asked if I preferred red or white.
Thats a nice touch and observant FA! ^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 am

About two weeks ago, I requested a BOB in Y and had my card out and she said, no worries, we appreciate your loyalty.

Very nice touch - think AA gives free food certain elites?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I think it's a nice touch and you definitely had a great FA. Make sure she gets credit for her above and beyond work.
Definitely do not do this, especially not in detail. The FA likely broke protocol to do this and will get reprimanded if you write in with detail.

If you do write in, write in some vague stuff about how attentive and courteous she was. That's it.

Originally Posted by dank0014
Very nice touch - think AA gives free food certain elites?
AA gives free food and drink to all EXPs in the back.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
I commute between EWR/LAX pretty much every weekend for the past...2 years (just a few more months left!). There was a period of time (about 2 months) that the same FA was on the last red eye flight out of LAX to EWR on Mondays. She recognized me on my second trip and would comp my red wine if I were seated in E+ afterwards (I was pretty much always in 7A...the living room seat). Sometimes CPU clears; sometimes not. It was really nice of her to do and the red wine really helps with sleeping on those former-ATA 753. I'd tell her "thanks, see you next week" when I deplane. Lol.

On a separate note, not so much taped video safety demo, but I'd always watch live safety demo if it happens. Not that I need a refresher course but I think it's just being respectful to pay attention when a person is making an effort doing his/her job performing. I almost want to clap my hands to acknowledge them every time but I think that would probably be weird...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i've been getting comped on drinks on various UX operated segs maybe 50/50 of the time, from returned drink chits or not bothering to run the card swipe. one of the last times was for a double tito's + soda.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I rarely watch the video through all the way, but if the FAs are doing the safety drill manually, I always make a point of putting down what I'm reading and making eye contact and watching the demo. It is common courtesy in my book. Ever give a speech in front of a group of people, and no one is looking at you? Would not be fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.