Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much discretion do FAs have giving out free drinks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Also, leaving our flight from CDG to SFO in august the FA gave us an opened and unused bottle of wine to take home with us, great crew in business on that flight
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I run about 1/3 comped 2/3 paid.. Conditionally sample on INT its is more 50/50.
I often find I get charged for my first drink.. on second service it is comped.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dank0014
About two weeks ago, I requested a BOB in Y and had my card out and she said, no worries, we appreciate your loyalty.
I have to say, I have never been comped BOB food in Y on UA.

I am around 33% on comped booze; I get out the chit, and the FA says, "Oh, that's not necessary." OTOH, I have been on flights this year where the FA had no clue what the chit was. "Did something go wrong at the airport? It seems like a lot of people have one of those today."

Originally Posted by channa
Definitely do not do this, especially not in detail. The FA likely broke protocol to do this and will get reprimanded if you write in with detail.

If you do write in, write in some vague stuff about how attentive and courteous she was. That's it.
That is always the way to do it if the FA or other UA employee does anything remotely against the rules. IMHO they definitely deserve praise, but we don't want to get them in trouble!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by exerda
"Did something go wrong at the airport? It seems like a lot of people have one of those today."
"Yes, something did go wrong. All the kettles bought the TODs so we 1Ks are stuck back here"
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I have been comped drinks in Y on United twice this year (and the only times I remember this happening):

- The first time was SFO-IAD. I had been upgraded but was traveling with my SO, who was not upgraded --I gave him my seat and sat in his seat in Economy Plus (his ticket was bought as an Award, so could not be upgraded). It turned out E+ was filled with children and kettles (I think there were 2 people on the upgrade list who did not clear). The FC flight attendant brought back a Bloody Mary with two Tito's served from the silver tray about 1 hour into the flight. I purchased 2 more with drink tickets. All of the flyers around me though I was a celebrity and were asking what was going on (they'd never seen drink tickets before)

- The second time was ORD-DCA. One of the recent summer thunderstorm nights, our flight was delayed ~2-3 hours and was packed. FA came through Economy Plus and poured remaining red wine from FC bottle for anyone who wanted it (until bottle ran out)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:17 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by channa
Definitely do not do this, especially not in detail. The FA likely broke protocol to do this and will get reprimanded if you write in with detail.

If you do write in, write in some vague stuff about how attentive and courteous she was. That's it.
^^^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jasonp622
Also, leaving our flight from CDG to SFO in august the FA gave us an opened and unused bottle of wine to take home with us, great crew in business on that flight
Years ago on a SFO-IAD flight, MsHalls120 and I were in F. It was her first time up front, and she was of course excited. I mentioned it to the Purser, and he gave her an unopened bottle of wine to take home. Needless to say that made a huge first impression on MsHalls120, and to this day she still speaks warmly of UA employees and flying UA.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Last November, SYD-SFO, due to a weight/balance issue everyone in E+ (still 747 then) had to move back to E-. FA's were very apologetic and booze was free (at least for me - no idea about others ).

Certainly miss the days when UA was a full-service airline. Another TPAC this weekend. <sigh>
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by JC5280
I had a flight a week ago ORD-SAN where drinks were comped the entire way. We departed on time, but went back to the gate after the plane made a sudden stop on the taxiway to avoid a baggage cart. Two flight attendants were injured during the stop, so we ended up departing about 1.5 hours late as replacements had to be found. I didn't hear a single complaint from anyone, more sympathy than anything (it was a jolting stop). During the flight, drinks were comped by he FAs but this was only mentioned when someone ordered. And of course, but the second round of beverage service in Y, they were out of almost everything but beer and wine. So yeah, I think the crew has discretion to do this.
The captain has the authority to comp drinks (or really the authority to do almost anything he wants on the plane). FA's don't have the authority to do this.

As for FAs comping individual drinks, a lot of it has to do with sloppy catering. An aircraft is supposed to be catered with a set amount of beverages which is specified by the airline. Because catering is done by minimum wage people who don't care, it is not unusual for a flight to be under/over catered.

So if a flight manifest says that the flight was catered with 200 bottles of liquor and the FA gets on board and finds 250 bottles of liquor, she has 50 bottles she can give away without anyone knowing it. When a beverage cart goes back to catering, they are supposed to count the number of each type of liquor left over from the previous flight. A lot of times they don't and just add in a bunch of new bottles of liquor and send the cart on its way.

You can see this when on some flights the FAs will always give you a whole can of soda and on other flights, they will give you only a cup of soda. I have been of flights where they inexplicably run out of something like vodka for no apparent reason.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:40 am
Suspended

I was on a SFO-IAD flight on a 757-3. I sat in the bulkhead coach seat that's right behind the galley. I took my seat and the FA was so nice. I told her I just ran the SF 1/2 Marathon. She offered me a free preflight Budweiser. I had plenty of drink chits in my pocket but she refused and kept giving me free Buds throughout the flight.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:42 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Needless to say that made a huge first impression on MsHalls120, and to this day she still speaks warmly of UA employees and flying UA.
I take it you haven't put her on UA in the past couple of years, then? I think that would cure anyone of warm and fuzzies regarding UA in a jiffie.

Originally Posted by eghansen
As for FAs comping individual drinks, a lot of it has to do with sloppy catering. An aircraft is supposed to be catered with a set amount of beverages which is specified by the airline. Because catering is done by minimum wage people who don't care, it is not unusual for a flight to be under/over catered.
I have unfortunately been a victim of under-catering many times (particularly on express flights). "Sorry, they didn't load any alcohol." "Sorry, we only have white wine." "Sorry, they didn't load any orange juice." "Sorry, we had a quick turn earlier today, and they didn't have time to restock the booze." "Sorry, they only load booze at IAD, and we haven't been back there since early this morning."
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by exerda
"Sorry, they only load booze at IAD, and we haven't been back there since early this morning."
That's a big issue with Express -- there can be many cycles between liquor refills, they can often be out of stuff, especially on longer flights with a turn (e.g., SFO-SAT-SFO), where they may have high consumption due to the long flight, and then also high demand on the return also due to the long flight.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The captain has the authority to comp drinks (or really the authority to do almost anything he wants on the plane). FA's don't have the authority to do this.

So if a flight manifest says that the flight was catered with 200 bottles of liquor and the FA gets on board and finds 250 bottles of liquor, she has 50 bottles she can give away without anyone knowing it. When a beverage cart goes back to catering, they are supposed to count the number of each type of liquor left over from the previous flight. A lot of times they don't and just add in a bunch of new bottles of liquor and send the cart on its way.

You can see this when on some flights the FAs will always give you a whole can of soda and on other flights, they will give you only a cup of soda. I have been of flights where they inexplicably run out of something like vodka for no apparent reason.
Well, you may have gotten something right in all that, but I can't find it.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Yesterday on a UX flight, guy next to me asked for a can of club soda and the FA refused the request. She said "You cant have the whole can, just a glass at a time". She handed the cup to him, he downed it and asked for a refill.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by limey1K
Yesterday on a UX flight, guy next to me asked for a can of club soda and the FA refused the request. She said "You cant have the whole can, just a glass at a time". She handed the cup to him, he downed it and asked for a refill.
That is the correct response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.