Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much discretion do FAs have giving out free drinks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much discretion do FAs have giving out free drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
yeah, she just refilled my glass of red wine. very strange! i'm not used to this nice-ness! (well, i remember traveling with my dad years ago when he used to get handed bottles on his way out for being a 1K)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by channa
PMUA used to do this pretty often. Every now and then you get a FA who does it, but with the CO fear culture that permeates the airline these days, it happens a lot less frequently than it did before.
That is true! I saw this happen much more frequently on United before the airline merged and service standards have changed. United used to be great at comping drinks on delayed flights as well. That did not happen to me when flying delayed CO flights.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by boss315
VERY unusual!
i found a unicorn!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.6MM
I've often seen FAs do this for others but I assumed they were GS since I was 1K when I spotted this. I've seen them take back glasses of wine, ice cream sundaes and meals. They do it discretely and the recipients are usually very content. I've always thought this was pretty cool.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by expo
yeah, she just refilled my glass of red wine. very strange! i'm not used to this nice-ness! (well, i remember traveling with my dad years ago when he used to get handed bottles on his way out for being a 1K)
In the mid 2000s, I used to get handed bottles as a lowly Premier Executive!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I used a drink chit once for a Tito's and was given two bottles with a wink.

Another time I asked if I could buy two little bottles so that I could take them to my friend back in Y (764 HNL-EWR) and she just asked which seat he was in and said don't worry about it she would take them back.

Very cool in your case!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I used a drink chit once for a Tito's and was given two bottles with a wink.

Another time I asked if I could buy two little bottles so that I could take them to my friend back in Y (764 HNL-EWR) and she just asked which seat he was in and said don't worry about it she would take them back.

Love it!

We had broken IFE on one flight, and I asked if Uncle Jeff was buying since the video was busted. The FA said that's a great idea, and asked if I wanted a double since Jeffie Jeff was buying.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
This has happened to me as a platinum this year as well, much appreciated
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
very unusual. the best i have had is trying to give a drink chit to an FA who refused it and comped my drink. but this is a 1 in 100 experience for me.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
No, UA only copies from DL, not AA. Honestly, though, I've never had that happen to me. From time to time, FAs will hand back a drink chit, though.
It is not about who copies who, it is all about the culture between PMUA and PMCO.

PMUA is all about "the higher status you got, the more stuff we are going to give you", same with the FA jump around to take meal orders in F and C according to your MP status for international flights.

PMCO is all about "everyone are equal regardless of fare paid or status, they are irrelevant", FA will just get the job then, nothing about going the extra mile.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
I flew DEN-SEA the Friday night before the SuperBowl (early 2014) and the FA announced "you have a Seattle-based flight crew and anyone in Seahawks attire drinks for free the whole flight." They were not kidding, poured liberally, and even handed bottles out to us as we deplaned. I noted that they meant what they said - only people in Seahawks attire were accommodated in this manner. This was a pmUA 752 with a pmUA crew. Random but a fun thing to see for an uncommon event (a Seattle sports team even having a shot at winning something).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by channa
PMUA used to do this pretty often. Every now and then you get a FA who does it, but with the CO fear culture that permeates the airline these days, it happens a lot less frequently than it did before.
Pre-merger, both as a 1K for a year, then as a GS, I would almost always get brought a drink (glass of wine, or scotch) by the Purser. I think it was sort of part of their job. Nearly always happened on a widebody or a 757, less often on an Airbus. But on long flights, it almost always happened.

I've not had it happen once since the merger, and was told by a purser that they were instructed NOT TO DO IT!

OTOH, I was on VX the other day, did not get my usual main cabin select seat (which comes with free food/drink) and when I ordered a Prohibition Back in Black, she just comped it to me, said thanks for being a Gold!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yeah PMUA it would happen to me all the time. The FAs would never take my drink chits. Now 10 out of 10 were taken...in fact I ordered a double with my last chit and broke out the credit card for the 2nd half of the double (not that I expected anything less).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
did an RTW with my family when i was in middle school and the pmUA 777 crew LHR-EWR gave my dad (no status, sitting in Y) bottles of pol roger champagne for both my brother and me to open "when we graduated college."

because of this, my dad will only book UA to this day.

too bad jeff doesn't appreciate this sort of goodwill.

....and my dad did end up opening my bottle at my law school graduation party, explaining the story to everyone. the second bottle is waiting for my brother to finish up his MBA.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
No, UA only copies from DL, not AA. Honestly, though, I've never had that happen to me. From time to time, FAs will hand back a drink chit, though.
DL has the "Have one on US" drink coupons that print on your BP if you don't get upgraded. It's fairly consistent for Diamonds and Plats, for Gold's it somewhat more irregular. Before the drink coupons, I would sometimes get a comp drink and pass of the snack basket when seated in the first couple of rows of coach.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 17, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.