Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to Have UA Convert My RPU to GPU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz

Hi everyone,

I have a small problem that I hope you can help me with.
I fly with United ~175K miles a year. (50K so far)
That comes to 8 Global Upgrades (GU) and 10 Regional Upgrades (RU).

I only fly international long haul flights and used all my GU.
I have asked United to use some of the RU (even 2 of them) for an international flight but that was a big NO...

Any way that I can switch my RU for GU? I don't think I have a central america/domestic flight in the next year...

Thanks,

A.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 2014 at 4:08 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You could here, once you get enough posts to view/post in Coupon Connection. Otherwise, no.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is zero chance UA will swap RPUs for GPUs.

Once you reach a sufficient number of FT posts (180) you can see about a trade on Coupon Connection. The going rate is 2 RPU for 1 GPU.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once you have 180 posts here on FlyerTalk (you already meet the 180 days requirement) you can access the Coupon Connection forum part of FlyerTalk and work out trades with other people that may need RPU's but not GPU's.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

ohh okay thank you!
the GU usually goes for how many RU?
also, how many posts I should have to get access to the Coupon Connection?

thanks,
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
That comes to 8 Global Upgrades (GU) and 10 Regional Upgrades (RU).

I only fly international long haul flights and used all my GU.
I have asked United to use some of the RU (even 2 of them) for an international flight but that was a big NO...

Any way that I can switch my RU for GU? ....
No UA will not do that kind of deal.

There are a couple of options, work with someone you know but does mostly domestic travel and cross-sponsor each other for upgrades.

If you don't know anyone you could go to FT Coupon Connection and do the same (once you have the needed 180 days and 180 posts). The standard trade is 2 RPUs for 1 GPU (but supply of RPUs has gone tighter with the change in RPU earning rules -- so it might be closer 3 RPUs for 2 GPUs).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No UA will not do that kind of deal.

There are a couple of options, work with someone you know but does mostly domestic travel and cross-sponsor each other for upgrades.

If you don't know anyone you could go to FT Coupon Connection and do the same (once you have the needed 180 days and 180 posts). The standard trade is 2 RPUs for 1 GPU (but supply of RPUs has gone tighter with the change in RPU earning rules -- so it might be closer 3 RPUs for 2 GPUs).
ohh that's great news for me okay. I'll start be more active here so I can meet the 180 posts.

Thanks for your help.

btw can you transfer the RPUs/GPUs or you are just sponsoring the other person you are making the deal with?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 2014 at 4:07 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
ohh that's great news for me okay. I'll start be more active here so I can meet the 180 posts.

Thanks for your help and if you do know of someone that is interested, let me know

btw can you transfer the RPUs/GPUs or you are just sponsoring the other person you are making the deal with?
latter
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
latter
latter? you write a latter to united to transfer them?
Not sure I'm following, i never got an actual voucher it's just posted online..

sorry for the noop questions
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
latter? you write a latter to united to transfer them?
Not sure I'm following, i never got an actual voucher it's just posted online..

sorry for the noop questions
Latter of the two -- that is, you agree to sponsor each other's upgrades (which you can do through your own account). Distinct from letter.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Good to know as I usually have extgra unused GPU's each year.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Agree - this is good to know. I never use my rpu's - only GPU's - and still lose those as well as most of my travel is international paid business class...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Agree - this is good to know. I never use my rpu's - only GPU's - and still lose those as well as most of my travel is international paid business class...
this is great news. wish I'd known about it years ago.

Originally Posted by Baze
Once you have 180 posts here on FlyerTalk (you already meet the 180 days requirement) you can access the Coupon Connection forum part of FlyerTalk and work out trades with other people that may need RPU's but not GPU's.
So I've been member for years and am up to 180 posts, but I can't find Coupon Connection anywhere. Did a search and couldn't find under forum topics?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 2, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by syrahnose
So I've been member for years and am up to 180 posts, but I can't find Coupon Connection anywhere. Did a search and couldn't find under forum topics?
It's a sub-forum under Community and is only viewable if the mods have provided access...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by syrahnose
You can't do it anymore. It's against MP rules and FT seemingly has stopped it for that reason. You need to be very careful on this topic as UA could close your account down if you abuse these instruments. Friends and family is the way to go for instruments you would not normally use yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.