Wiki Posts
Search

Did the coffee change?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Did the coffee change?

Just got off a flight from EWR to SFO, and while 7+ hours boarding-to-landing on the 737 park benches wasn't so great, when they came through with beverage service #3, I got a cup of coffee (in a styrofoam cup) that somehow tasted just fine.

Were my tastebuds deceiving me after so many hours in the air? Was it the newness of the aircraft (one of the scarce sUA 739s) that the coffeemakers hadn't been filled with you-don't-want-to-know-what over the years? Or was it just a fluke?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by puls
Was it the newness of the aircraft (one of the scarce sUA 739s)?
sUA doesn't have any 739s and sCO has tons.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I haven't touched the coffee on UA in a while but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was probably a fluke.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by dbaker
Technically the newest 739's have sUA cabin crews.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Did UA not serve Starbucks several years ago?

I know DL is currently serving Seattle's Best. (which is owned by Starbucks).

Maybe the new cups make the coffee taste better on UA?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
It wasn't a coffee... It was a previously unused styrofoam cup !
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dbaker
Yes, all new B739s being delivered now are part of the subsidiary-United Airlines order placed before the merger. The newest deliveries are coming with the new configuration where they're cramming in more seats.

That said, I don't think the coffee is any different. Same Fresh Brew stuff we've all grown accustomed to.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TravelBeat
Same Fresh Brew stuff we've all grown accustomed to.
Not all of us @:-)

I love my coffee, and will NOT drink the swill UA serves, and will go without or drink hot tea :-:
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not all of us @:-)

I love my coffee, and will NOT drink the swill UA serves, and will go without or drink hot tea :-:
I too refuse to drink their COffee. If the coffee is different it is probably because they found something even cheaper. The tea was surprisingly drinkable.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TravelBeat
Yes, all new B739s being delivered now are part of the subsidiary-United Airlines order placed before the merger. The newest deliveries are coming with the new configuration where they're cramming in more seats.

That said, I don't think the coffee is any different. Same Fresh Brew stuff we've all grown accustomed to.
According to the greatest site ever:
  • sCO has 12 739s, delivered 2001-2002, all with TV.
  • sCO has 66 739ERs, delivered 2008-2013, 52 of which have TV and 14 of which are dark.
  • sUA has 13 739ERs, delivered 2013-present and coming in at the rate of 2-3 per month. The first ten are identical to the dark sCO birds, the latest three have the new "signature" seats.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA doesn't serve coffee. It serves undrinkable brown swill. I'm a complete caffeine addict and refuse to drink that stuff. Via. Which is not particularly good but at least it doesn't make me wince with every sip.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:18 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
One would think that UA could at least serve the same coffee that they serve in the United Club, but no, they have to serve used brake fluid.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA doesn't serve coffee. It serves undrinkable brown swill. I'm a complete caffeine addict and refuse to drink that stuff. Via. Which is not particularly good but at least it doesn't make me wince with every sip.
+1. It's still a Houston vending services company making the coffee (not a true roaster), so I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:16 am

Yes, they did use to have Starbucks in the early 90s.
Their ads featured something about UA employees: "We drink the coffee too."
And the Starbucks coffee was pretty good.

I now bring my own "VIA" and make my own Starbucks Coffee. I've found that I've shared the VIA packets with other passengers and one flight attendant.

One flight attendant said that there were at least talks about getting rid of Fresh Brew / Kova. United contracted with them for "pouring rights," so I think they're waiting for that contract to end.

Sometimes it's more bearable than other occasions, but I usually avoid it.

I'm forever grateful that United carries milk on its planes. US Airways / American do not. I don't know about Alaska, Delta, or Southwest.

But it's not the worst! I'm recalling British Airways "World Traveller" around 1998. What was that? Fresh Brew is a dream compared to whatever BA served on its 767.

American used to serve Maxwell House. Although it's an iconic brand, I don't like it.

jetBlue prides itself on Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Although I lived in DD territory for nine years, I never developed a taste for the coffee (nor the donuts.)
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
It was brewed with one of the packets that had been hanging in the lav.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.