Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Devaluation Affecting Miles + Co-Pay Upgrades

Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Will the upcoming devaluation result in more miles being required to upgrade using miles + co-pay? Any chance the devaluation will result in diminshed R space or have any other adverse effect on the ability to upgrade using miles + co-pay? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Stud
Will the upcoming devaluation result in more miles being required to upgrade using miles + co-pay? Any chance the devaluation will result in diminshed R space or have any other adverse effect on the ability to upgrade using miles + co-pay? Thanks in advance!
Anything is possible. But right now; its the same # of miles + copay to upgrade. This "devaluation" only affects *A award bookings; which while it sucks, i get from a business standpoint.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
This "devaluation" only affects *A award bookings; which while it sucks, i get from a business standpoint.
Not true. Also changes redemption rates on UA metal, just less drastically.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not true. Also changes redemption rates on UA metal, just less drastically.
true; but those new rates are marginal like you said and they are basically on par now with what AA and DL charges for their award bookings. It was bound to happen anyways.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
true; but those new rates are marginal like you said and they are basically on par now with what AA and DL charges for their award bookings. It was bound to happen anyways.
on par????
AA charges 110,000 for round trip business class ticket on CX between N.America to N. Asia and
how much UA charge for the new rate on *A partners?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pigx5
on par????
AA charges 110,000 for round trip business class ticket on CX between N.America to N. Asia and
The comment you're responding to was clearly with respect to UA metal, not *A partners.

The point is that the devaluation is not as whopping for UA metal (not that I or anyone like them).

Hence cash/co-pay/miles needed does not seem to be impacted. If they were, then logically, a GPU would
also then to be a higher fare class than W.

Last edited by aacharya; Jan 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You said "only." That is not accurate. Also, I would hardly call 15-20% increases "marginal," particularly since they are now materially higher than AA's redemption rates for the same routes.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:58 pm

on par????
a] like the poster below you pointed out; i was talking about UA award metal. UA now charges close to what AA charges for their award flights. But thanks for reading carefully what i wrote.

Also 110k biz roundtrip is extremely difficult to find at least for the dates i looked on Aa.com between june and september.

You said "only." That is not accurate. Also, I would hardly call 15-20% increases "marginal," particularly since they are now materially higher than AA's redemption rates for the same routes.
It remains to be seen what AA's redemption rates will be after the merger.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
a] like the poster below you pointed out; i was talking about UA award metal. UA now charges close to what AA charges for their award flights. But thanks for reading carefully what i wrote.

Also 110k biz roundtrip is extremely difficult to find at least for the dates i looked on Aa.com between june and september.

AA charges 110000 and the UA new chart is 140000 for UA and 160000 for *A. On par???
And you can use 110000 aa miles for CX........

I am talking about CX award by using AA miles and you can't see or book CX award on AA.COM
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:16 pm

AA charges 110000 and the UA new chart is 140000 for UA and 160000 for *A. On par???
And you can use 110000 aa miles for CX........

I am talking about CX award by using AA miles and you can't see or book CX award on AA.COM
You can see and book them on BA using Avios though
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:41 pm

The changes to the United saver/standard award chart arent horrible. Basically in many cases theyre just matching the highest rates charged by other major US airlines. In many markets rates stay the same, and mostly were seeing increases of 2,500 to 7,500 MileagePlus miles one-way.
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...t-devaluation/
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:51 pm

We have a Devaluation Defender!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Actually, mileage upgrades have received a HUGE devaluation because the upgrade fee doesn't count for PQD, which means while you're HALF paying for a business ticket, you're getting zero PQD credit for it.

Not good that your PQD balance can be drastically different based on whether you book a higher M fare and upgrade with miles or a lower L fare and upgrade with miles. Same expense, UA just shafts you on PQD for not playing the upgrade lottery if your upgrade has to waitlist.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:33 pm

We have a Devaluation Defender!
hardly defending, just rationalizing the moves. We all knew this was coming eventually. Obviously its cheaper for UA to book award flights on their own metal than other carriers, so why shouldn't they charge more for other carriers ?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:56 pm

A number of these posts are irrelevant: the OP asked ONLY if the devaluation applied to, or affected, upgrades-with-co-pay. Nothing to do with the value of full award tickets.

So, the answer to OP is (as of right now) -- no change to any upgrade-with-co-pay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.