Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Phone Line Delays During Weather/IROPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

"Im sorry, we are currently experiencing technical problems and cannot process your call. Please try again later"

nice.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2014 at 7:28 am Reason: vague thread title was leading to unfocused discussion
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir
"Im sorry, we are currently experiencing technical problems and cannot process your call. Please try again later"

nice.
well there is a major NE travel problem in progress and sometimes the system do become overload. How long have you been unable to call in?

Some non-elites or lower level elites are reporting being on hold for hours.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:27 pm

I tried going through the menu, got the same msg as you 3 times. Tried pressing 0 multiple times at menu and got an agent. Unfortunately she had to transfer me to the awards reservations which is the same number i originally dialed. I have been on hold for 2.5 hours. *crosses fingers
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:37 pm

United, Please Fix ASAP!

the GS line is down "system is experiencing problems."

Either fix it or provide GS members with another number to dial ASAP. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The GS line is one thing that UA should probably keep functional at any necessary cost.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
Ditto
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: United GS, SQ PPS
GS wait is now about 30 minutes...but there was a 2 hour period around midnight (shift change?) where the "system was experiencing difficulties" and couldn't even get into a queue.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
To put this in perspective...as an AA EXP during the recent ice storm in DFW, I received a flight cancellation notice on Sunday for a flight on Tuesday. Tried for nearly 5 hours to get through to get rebooked on the next flight, but got hungg up on three times by the system. Was eventually able to get through on monday and offered a flight nearly 10 hours later. Ended up buying a UA ticket instead and refund the remaining fare on AA.

The airlines are maximizing "capacity discipline" and reduce redundancy along the way. What we ate seeing is the result. A system where there is no slack and no ability to recover reasonably quickly....and all three majors are the exact same that way.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
To put this in perspective...as an AA EXP during the recent ice storm in DFW, I received a flight cancellation notice on Sunday for a flight on Tuesday. Tried for nearly 5 hours to get through to get rebooked on the next flight, but got hungg up on three times by the system. Was eventually able to get through on monday and offered a flight nearly 10 hours later. Ended up buying a UA ticket instead and refund the remaining fare on AA.

The airlines are maximizing "capacity discipline" and reduce redundancy along the way. What we ate seeing is the result. A system where there is no slack and no ability to recover reasonably quickly....and all three majors are the exact same that way.
Thanks for the post and lack of hyperbole. I'm not sure it's accurate to say there isn't any slack without knowing what the call volumes are during normal and IRROPS. I'm guessing its a big factor. Bottom line, when XWX hits, it's a [mess] for everyone.

I once had my MSP direct cancel for MX and a single GA rescheduled 50 passengers in under 35 minutes. She probably got a bunch of complaints for brusqueness , because when people started hemming and hawing she made them step aside for the next Passenger. I gave her a "thumbs up slip" for her efficiency.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2014 at 7:13 am
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
YMMV - I got through to the AA EXP line in 2 minutes on Friday, during the thick of it.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
YMMV - I got through to the AA EXP line in 2 minutes on Friday, during the thick of it.
Got through to Delta within a few minutes as well. Some airlines are prepared for predictable weather disruptions; UA is never one of them.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I am part of a large group of EXPs...more than 700 of us. Many of us had hold times of several hours and many got disconnected often. That said, Saturday and Sunday are the days I had first hand experience with.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
I've spoken to GS 4 times last night and this morning and have not waited more than a minute
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Got through to Delta within a few minutes as well. Some airlines are prepared for predictable weather disruptions; UA is never one of them.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...one-lines.html

Call-back feature taking 7 hours at Delta is an example of the variance.

No major airline is offering consistent phone service in this event.

At least on the Delta board they understand it's an order of magnitude event and closed the thread!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...one-lines.html

Sample size of 1 isn't indicative. Call-back feature taking 7 hours at Delta is an example of the variance.

No major airline is offering consistent phone service in this event.

At least on the Delta board they understand it's an order of magnitude event and closed the thread!
As a top tier Elite? Yes, Delta will offer consistent phone service for their top tier Elites even during major irops. This is what is being discussed here. If you find a thread where a 360 pax had to wait 7 hrs for a callback, please post it here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.