Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Global First v. Asiana Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well it is just not correct to say that UA GF is "UA BF with soup." The seat is longer and wider, has direct aisle access, is far more private, and has tons more personal storage space than any BF seat (except for an UD window on the 744). And when the service is good, it is quite a bit more attentive than BF due to the much better FA/pax ratio. It is in my view absolutely worth the extra 10,000 miles OW on a NA-Asia routing.
Yea I was being sarcastic with that comment, and dont get me wrong for 10k its really a no brainer
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:49 pm

What about if you compare Asiana's new Smartium Business Class seat to UA Global First? I'm assuming that, up until now, this thread has focused on comparing Asiana's old J product with UA GF.
This January, I'll a have a choice between flying OZ out of JFK on their new J hard product, or United Global First out of ORD. Which would you choose and why? Routing differences are negligible to me.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joer1212
What about if you compare Asiana's new Smartium Business Class seat to UA Global First? I'm assuming that, up until now, this thread has focused on comparing Asiana's old J product with UA GF.
This January, I'll a have a choice between flying OZ out of JFK on their new J hard product, or United Global First out of ORD. Which would you choose and why? Routing differences are negligible to me.
Smartium (QS) is not new. That's the OZ TPAC hard product being discussed in this thread.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Assuming you are going to ICN, and assuming you don't care that your last leg will be on a 737 in a barcolounger (like UA domestic F - non-lie flat), IMO UA GF > OZ J.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA better hard product, OZ better soft product

Where are you coming from? Not the easiest to get to JFK necessarily if connecting.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Where are you coming from? Not the easiest to get to JFK necessarily if connecting.
I disagree. Yes, the flight attendants are lot more attentive, and take the time to check that bins are closed and toilets are cleaned, but really, the food and wine they offer are quite mediocre and even frumpier than UA's offering. Yes, they will offer you bi bim bap and bulgogi, and Korean food is nice, but the same dishes are also offered (with less bells and whistles) in coach. And they insist on keeping their cabins at 25°C or more.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I disagree. Yes, the flight attendants are lot more attentive, and take the time to check that bins are closed and toilets are cleaned, but really, the food and wine they offer are quite mediocre and even frumpier than UA's offering. Yes, they will offer you bi bim bap and bulgogi, and Korean food is nice, but the same dishes are also offered (with less bells and whistles) in coach. And they insist on keeping their cabins at 25°C or more.
I've never heard anyone prefer UA's soft product to OZ's (even GF vs. J), but we're all free to our own opinion.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I've never heard anyone prefer UA's soft product to OZ's (even GF vs. J), but we're all free to our own opinion.
I'll report back when I try Smartium ICN-JFK. The seats look awesome - but I do admit a look at some posted OZ J wine lists lends credence to the previous poster's comparison to UA F. Mediocre. Now, spirits is another thing - Johnny Walker Blue in OZ F. Wow.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
IME, OZ premium cabin food and beverage at its worst is far better than the best that UA F/C offers. I've never experienced anything in OZ F/C classes that I would consider even remotely mediocre or frumpy.

UA Int'l F hard product is much better than OZ C, even their "Smartium" seats.

Hot cabins are a major problem on OZ. 25°C or more is not an exaggeration. At least on their 747's you had an air vent.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:04 am

I am flying out of NYC.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Assuming you are going to ICN, and assuming you don't care that your last leg will be on a 737 in a barcolounger (like UA domestic F - non-lie flat), IMO UA GF > OZ J.
I figured that. UA's F seat just looks better than OZ's J.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Much better seat in GF.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 5khours
Much better seat in GF.
In fact, the UA GF seat is more comfortable for sitting than the OZ F suite (though the OZ seat wins for sleep on square footage alone). IMO UA nailed it with their IPTE seating in both F and J. Now if only the rest of the product and experience measured up . . . .
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
I've just flown LHR-ICN on OZ Smartium class; hard product on par with UA BF or J class lie-flat. OZ's J meals are pretty good with good mid-flight snacks and landing meal, but I don't think it's that far superior to UA BF meals during my EWR-HAM trip or JFK-SFO/LAX trips. OZ did offer L'Occitane amenity bags, and their toilets had toothbrushes, combs and small amenities. Both IFE are similar but UA had touch screen. I would say UA GF which my mom flew a short segment ICN-NRT previously was superior than OZ J Smartium Class.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:32 pm

UAL First vs. Asiana Business - PHX to ICN

I have two options going from PHX to ICN using 80,000 miles. Which one would you choose based on the international flight?

SFO-ICN 747 - First
LAX-ICN A380-Business

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.