Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Missing Connection on 2 Separate UA Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star

So I just booked a flight BOS-DTW connecting in EWR for 3 hours, 51 minutes. My plan was to take a cab to "downtown Newark" and grab a bite to eat in the Ironbound area (maybe Seabra's?) and get back to EWR in time for my connection. In theory, this would leave me about 60-90 minutes in the city to "explore". If, for instance, there was a major accident and traffic prevented me from getting to my flight on time (or something of the like), what would UA do for me? Could I ask for a SDC and change for $75 provided there's still space in Y on the next outbound or would I have to wait it out on standby and pay the regular change fee? Is this a good idea? Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gtolj2
So I just booked a flight BOS-DTW connecting in EWR for 3 hours, 51 minutes. My plan was to take a cab to "downtown Newark" and grab a bite to eat in the Ironbound area (maybe Seabra's?) and get back to EWR in time for my connection. In theory, this would leave me about 60-90 minutes in the city to "explore". If, for instance, there was a major accident and traffic prevented me from getting to my flight on time (or something of the like), what would UA do for me? Could I ask for a SDC and change for $75 provided there's still space in Y on the next outbound or would I have to wait it out on standby and pay the regular change fee? Is this a good idea? Thanks!
You can do SDC, but must do so before the original flight departs. You could do so via phone or perhaps the mobile app if you're stuck in a cab, for example.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:08 pm

#1. The agent would probably ask you where the #*@( did you go? You could say you fell asleep in the UC or something.

#2. They could not honor the ticket at all (which you would have to purchase a very expensive EWR-DTW ticket). However, they would PROBABLY accommodate you on the next available flight. No guarantees though.

IMO, if you aren't an elite, I would recommend against it. You can also try changing the itinerary at a kiosk at EWR to see if it will provide you a later confirmed flight (there's a few around Terminal C post security but you have to hunt for them). I haven't used the kiosk as a non-elite so I don't know whether it would charge you the $75 or not or whether it would even work.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:12 pm

I know it doesn't help yet but having done this route many times I'm really glad Jetblue is going to try to compete non-stop with Delta on this route. Connecting for BOS-DTW isn't worth it in EWR. You're really better off flying BOS-DCA-DTW as the BOS-DCA leg is on the shuttle so at least one of your legs isn't subject to as many delays.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this would essentially be covered by the flat tire rule* and they would probably put you on the next available flight with space. my recommendation is that if you attempt this, and you do misconnect, dont tell the agent you left the airport. fell asleep is the right white lie.

*flat tire rule is not a rule at all, rather a courtesy often extended by airlines when a customer makes a genuine** attempt to make a flight but misses it.

**genuine is in how well you sell it sometimes
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this would essentially be covered by the flat tire rule* and they would probably put you on the next available flight with space. my recommendation is that if you attempt this, and you do misconnect, dont tell the agent you left the airport. fell asleep is the right white lie.

*flat tire rule is not a rule at all, rather a courtesy often extended by airlines when a customer makes a genuine** attempt to make a flight but misses it.

**genuine is in how well you sell it sometimes
Essentially, yes, the flat tire rule, but I'm not so sure they'd apply that to an almost 4 hour connection.

Also, FWIW, I believe the flat tire rule is actually a rule in the books. It's something like if you show up to the airport within 2 hours after your flight they'll do what they can to reaccomodate you on the next flight (no guaranteed confirmed seat, but standby for free)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:25 pm

If you miss your flight, you're technically out of luck, but most likely they'll put you on the next flight that has open seats, whenever that might be, which could be the next day.

But, exploring downtown Newark?? I'm trying to think of a better place to explore near EWR, but I'm coming up with nothing. Maybe take a cab to Liberty State Park and enjoy the skyline? I guess you could just take the train into Manhattan.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

First of all, thanks for all the quick replies!

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
If you miss your flight, you're technically out of luck, but most likely they'll put you on the next flight that has open seats, whenever that might be, which could be the next day.

But, exploring downtown Newark?? I'm trying to think of a better place to explore near EWR, but I'm coming up with nothing. Maybe take a cab to Liberty State Park and enjoy the skyline? I guess you could just take the train into Manhattan.
Those were definitely two of my top considerations, but I don't believe there's nearly enough time for Manhattan, and I've been there enough to make 45 minutes seem insignificant. Liberty State Park seems like a good option, but my idea was to try some of Newark's Portuguese and get out of the airport (which I've heard is worse than the city ). It may be the so-called "armpit of America", but I still aim to try the local joints whenever I go to a new city.

Originally Posted by coutura
Essentially, yes, the flat tire rule, but I'm not so sure they'd apply that to an almost 4 hour connection.

Also, FWIW, I believe the flat tire rule is actually a rule in the books. It's something like if you show up to the airport within 2 hours after your flight they'll do what they can to reaccomodate you on the next flight (no guaranteed confirmed seat, but standby for free)
Thnaks, but since it's technically 9 minutes shy of 4 hours, doesn't it still count as a domestic layover?

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I know it doesn't help yet but having done this route many times I'm really glad Jetblue is going to try to compete non-stop with Delta on this route. Connecting for BOS-DTW isn't worth it in EWR. You're really better off flying BOS-DCA-DTW as the BOS-DCA leg is on the shuttle so at least one of your legs isn't subject to as many delays.
With DCA I'm assuming you're referring to the US flights. Based on accounts I've heard, I'm trying to avoid US like the plague, although the KDCA River Visual 19 looks cool .

Originally Posted by edcho
#1. The agent would probably ask you where the #*@( did you go? You could say you fell asleep in the UC or something.

#2. They could not honor the ticket at all (which you would have to purchase a very expensive EWR-DTW ticket). However, they would PROBABLY accommodate you on the next available flight. No guarantees though.

IMO, if you aren't an elite, I would recommend against it. You can also try changing the itinerary at a kiosk at EWR to see if it will provide you a later confirmed flight (there's a few around Terminal C post security but you have to hunt for them). I haven't used the kiosk as a non-elite so I don't know whether it would charge you the $75 or not or whether it would even work.
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely take this into consideration. First time flying UA.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: *
My plan was to take a cab to "downtown Newark" and grab a bite to eat in the Ironbound area (maybe Seabra's?) and get back to EWR in time for my connection.
But why? Why tempt fate to start with? I have been to EWR few hundred times but cant see why I would ever have the urge to find out where downtown Newark is...surely there cant be much worthwhile there?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
But why? Why tempt fate to start with? I have been to EWR few hundred times but cant see why I would ever have the urge to find out where downtown Newark is...surely there cant be much worthwhile there?
Maybe Hobby's Deli? Sounds better to me than staying in the airport for 4 hours. Pick yer poison I guess. I'm from Baltimore, which can't be too much better than Newark.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
"downtown Newark" is not really worth seeing. You have a couple of skyscapers, some cheap dollar store type shops, and the hockey arena (and the performing arts center, neither of which will likely be having anything during the day).

Just outside "downtown Newark" (which is where the OP intends to go) is the Ironbound, which is one of the largest Portuguese and Brazilian populations in the U.S. [citation needed]. I think if you have the time and are interested in the cuisine, it is 100% a worthwhile short trip. From there, with standard traffic, it's no more than a 10 min drive to the airport. You could also take the NJ Transit train to/from Newark Penn station, which is likely just as quick (never taken it so can't comment).

If you make it out to the Ironbound, check out Iberia Restaurant (2 blocks from NJ Transit station) or Brasilia (just a couple blocks more).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, you can take the #62 bus to/from downtown. It's a short ride and a whole lot less expensive than a taxi I echo the previous poster's suggestion about Brasilia Grill. It's a short walk from the train station, and better than any of the Iberia locations IMHO. I disagree about nothing else being downtown. Want good food in downtown (not the Ironbound)? Try either of these:

Hobby's Delicatessen -- Pastrami, corned beef, etc. Yum!
Je's Soul fd -- I've seen reports that it's closed. I'm not sure of that.

I hope this helps!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shadowsjc
"downtown Newark" is not really worth seeing. You have a couple of skyscapers, some cheap dollar store type shops, and the hockey arena (and the performing arts center, neither of which will likely be having anything during the day).

Just outside "downtown Newark" (which is where the OP intends to go) is the Ironbound, which is one of the largest Portuguese and Brazilian populations in the U.S. [citation needed]. I think if you have the time and are interested in the cuisine, it is 100% a worthwhile short trip. From there, with standard traffic, it's no more than a 10 min drive to the airport. You could also take the NJ Transit train to/from Newark Penn station, which is likely just as quick (never taken it so can't comment).

If you make it out to the Ironbound, check out Iberia Restaurant (2 blocks from NJ Transit station) or Brasilia (just a couple blocks more).
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
FWIW, you can take the #62 bus to/from downtown. It's a short ride and a whole lot less expensive than a taxi I echo the previous poster's suggestion about Brasilia Grill. It's a short walk from the train station, and better than any of the Iberia locations IMHO. I disagree about nothing else being downtown. Want good food in downtown (not the Ironbound)? Try either of these:

Hobby's Delicatessen -- Pastrami, corned beef, etc. Yum!
Je's Soul fd -- I've seen reports that it's closed. I'm not sure of that.

I hope this helps!
Just what I was looking for! Didn't realize Ironbound and downtown were totally different areas. Would you still do it if, say it was a 3-3.5 hour layover (delays?)?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:17 am

With DCA I'm assuming you're referring to the US flights. Based on accounts I've heard, I'm trying to avoid US like the plague, although the KDCA River Visual 19 looks cool .
The DCA-DTW segment can be a mixed bag with lots of regional jets on that route. I've had decent luck, fingers crossed. However the BOS-DCA leg is on the shuttle so at the very least you're getting to/from DCA within a reasonably assured time-frame. The US airways clubs also have better coffee if that's any incentive whatsoever..

As I was mentioning think about taking the BOS-DTW B6 non-stop next year if you're planning to make this route a habit.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thnaks, but since it's technically 9 minutes shy of 4 hours, doesn't it still count as a domestic layover?
Its still under 4 hours so its a connection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.