Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Haiyan Relief: United to Match Donations and Award Bonus MP miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I wanted everyone to know, that the United Airlines Foundation is matching donations made towards Typhoon Haiyan relief. For those of you unaware, Haiyan has already killed 10,000 people in the Philippines and the United Nations has asked for $300 million in immediate relief to prevent the further loss of life.

As a bonus, United is awarding a token number of Mileage Plus miles for donations over $50.

United gets a thumbs up in my book for this effort! Their competition is not matching donations for Haiyan relief as of this post.

http://www.crowdrise.com/unitedrelief

Last edited by ArlingtonTraveler; Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just be aware
What are the Transaction Fees on Donations?

When a donation is made through CrowdRise, a Transaction Fee is deducted from it so we don't go out of business. CrowdRise’s Transaction Fees start as low as 3%. So on a $100 donation, $97 goes to the Charity less the credit card fees charged by the payment processor. The payment processors charge 2.9% + $0.30. We think you'll find that's really good pricing. We try to keep our pricing as low as possible so your donation can have the greatest possible impact.
sort of negates the mileage bonus

Giving directly to the charity, will get more to those effected.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

FYI I did make a donation myself and the donation receipt was from Networkforgood which is a very reputable outfit which partners with CharityNavigator. Also in clicking through the links on the FAQ, it appears that United has paid the $249 to reduce the fees to the lowest possible amount 3% plus the cc processing fees. Until the matching limit of $100,000 is reached it make sense to have your donation matched by the United Airlines foundation. I made my donation around 12 noon EST and they were over $52k and by the time of this post they are at just over $60k. At this rate, donations will exceed $100k by sometime tomorrow.

As an aside, the only time I think I made a donation that wasn't subject to a credit card transaction fee was after the Hurricane that hit Haiti. American Express waived all transaction fees they would charge for donations to select charities in the aftermath of the Haiti natural disaster.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just be aware

sort of negates the mileage bonus

Giving directly to the charity, will get more to those effected.

Last edited by ArlingtonTraveler; Nov 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dguruswamy
.... it appears that United has paid the $249 to reduce the fees to the lowest possible amount 3% plus the cc processing fees.
As an aside, the only time I think I made a donation that wasn't subject to a credit card transaction fee was after the Hurricane that hit Haiti. American Express waived all transaction fees they would charge for donations to select charities in the aftermath of the Haiti natural disaster.
But as you point out this site is charging 3% PLUS credit fees and if you go directly to the charity's site, it will be just credit card fees. So there is a 3% difference loss to the charity for the same "gift" -- and you get miles of worth in the same ballpark (not inferring UA gets any of the extra 3%).

Just pointing out going to the charities site is more efficient. But the need definitely exists.

I will admit to a bias against these middle men sites taking a processing fee.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

I understand what you are saying, that's why I said "As an aside". As to my original point, it still make sense to use the site until $100k is donated because United is matching your donation dollar for dollar. It was a nice gesture by the airlines since the Philippines is only a minor market for them.

But as you point out this site is charging 3% PLUS credit fees and if you go directly to the charity's site, it will be just credit card fees. So there is a 3% difference loss to the charity for the same "gift" -- and you get miles of worth in the same ballpark (not inferring UA gets any of the extra 3%).
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Platinum, National Exec. Elite
Also on top of:
1. giving at least $50
2. getting some MP miles
3. In addition, the United Airlines Foundation will contribute up to $100,000 in total matching donations to AmeriCares, The American Red Cross and Operation USA.

So each donation is matched on a dollar value basis which more than addresses the CC processing issues.

A good deal.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

@ BeBrilliant you hit the nail on the head. Also, United originally pledged to match up $50k and increased it to $100k after employees and Mileage Plus members blew through the $50k level in a day. Also, in full disclosure the miles for donations are capped at 5 million miles. Let's collectively make sure United has to give out the full 5 million miles!

Originally Posted by BeBrilliant
Also on top of:
1. giving at least $50
2. getting some MP miles
3. In addition, the United Airlines Foundation will contribute up to $100,000 in total matching donations to AmeriCares, The American Red Cross and Operation USA.

So each donation is matched on a dollar value basis which more than addresses the CC processing issues.

A good deal.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: VAG
For a moment I thought this was an opportunity to donate my United miles, which I'd gladly do because I only have 5000 left and don't plan on earning any more. Is there anything charitable I can do with excess miles?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:11 pm

If they were registered in Canada I would take part. Tax-receipts + matching funds from Canadian government make a difference.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
For a moment I thought this was an opportunity to donate my United miles, which I'd gladly do because I only have 5000 left and don't plan on earning any more. Is there anything charitable I can do with excess miles?
Donate your miles (500 mile min)
Originally Posted by claurianta2
If they were registered in Canada I would take part. Tax-receipts + matching funds from Canadian government make a difference.
Don't let this stop you -- go to the equivalent charities in Canada -- the miles are minimal
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:32 pm

Donate your miles (500 mile min)
Don't let this stop you -- go to the equivalent charities in Canada -- the miles are minimal
Yes of course... I was just saying I won't be donating through this specific program because of it.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: VAG
Thanks WineCountryUA! I now have a mileage balance of zero, and the Red Cross is a few miles richer... which hopefully is good for something.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

You know what - if this kind of program encourages someone to donate who wouldn't otherwise, I see this as a benefit. So charity gets $48.50 more (based on a $50 donation) - plus the UA matching amount. Seems like a benefit to the charity to me.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:40 am
Original Poster

United's employees and customers have raised over $105K as of this post for Haiyan relief. This generosity has maxed out the $100,000 matching offered through the United Airlines Foundation. However, United is still offering miles (up to 5 million total) for donations as follows:

$50-$99 = 250 bonus miles
$100-$249 = 500 bonus miles
$250 or more = 1,000 bonus miles
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update. United has raised over $1.3 million for Haiyan Relief. Way to go folks! Still the need is great, so please continue to donate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.