Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can We Please Lose the Damn Automated Seatbelt Message?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Angry Can We Please Lose the Damn Automated Seatbelt Message?

[rant]

Leave aside the fact that it is ridiculously annoying when you are awake.

Leave aside the fact that it often is repeated two/three times in a row.

But what was wrong with allowing the captain, at his discretion, to say something like, I don't know, "Seatbelts" the way they have been doing on PMUA forever?

I have to tell you, every time I'm on a PMCO redeye (or now on the reconfigured p.s. planes/763s), and am woken up by this idiocy, I am not a happy camper.

Is there *ANY* logic to it whatsoever???

[/rant]
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Have you raised the issue to the purser?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
This was one of the few annoyances on my PMCO IAH-LHR flights. I think it's most annoying just because it is played so much more loudly than the other announcements, therefore so much more likely to impact sleep.

The simple, brief, and lower volume "seatbelts please" from the Captain is so much nicer.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:17 pm

That voice is right up there with the guy on the Lexington Avenue subway 'stand clear of the closing doors please' announcements.

FLIGHT ATTENDANTS...

Please be seated for arrival!!

But I think this is something at the crew's discretion. Was on a DEL-EWR this week and don't remember hearing the usual automated voice.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stevenshev
.... I have to tell you, every time I'm on a PMCO redeye (or now on the reconfigured p.s. planes/763s), and am woken up by this idiocy, I am not a happy camper. ....
ear plugs, noise reduction headsets, some light background music via some PED, .... all are simple personal solutions and cover a number of additional cabin disturbances.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat
On my PS flight JFK-LAX on Wednesday the system was buggered.

For the entire time the plane was loading, that announcement repeated every few seconds. It was driving everyone crazy - The FAs apologized and said there was nothing they could do to stop it. They did a manual safety demo while being continually interrupted by the stupid announcement... Buggy IFE!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ear plugs, noise reduction headsets, some light background music via some PED, .... all are simple personal solutions and cover a number of additional cabin disturbances.
On yesterday's IAH-SFO 752 BF (Intl config) flight, the announcement came in VERY LOUD (painfully), over the PVOD, several times. It got to the point where I was on a hair-trigger to rip off the headphones whenever I detected a pause in the movie or saw 'PA' at the top. Regular F/A announcements weren't that loud, so seems like a tech issue -- what else is new?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I've noticed the automated messages on all of my recent international flights. It is so so tacky...
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Anyone who doesn't know how to fasten a seatbelt? The only personal example I have is when flying with my father who has Alzheimer's. I know to buckle him up in a plane and in a car. He couldn't follow the instructions in the video anyway, so it doesn't even help people like him.

Great post! We are so accustomed to having our intelligence insulted these days that few of us even notice when it occurs. This is a prime example. ^
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Anyone who doesn't know how to fasten a seatbelt? The only personal example I have is when flying with my father who has Alzheimer's. I know to buckle him up in a plane and in a car. He couldn't follow the instructions in the video anyway, so it doesn't even help people like him.

Great post! We are so accustomed to having our intelligence insulted these days that few of us even notice when it occurs. This is a prime example. ^
I think this is more about the message to fasten your set belt when entering turbulence. Not the safety video on how to fasten your set belt.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

PMUA - "seatbelts" - is plenty. Especially at hour 5.5 of 14 hurtling towards HKG.

Followed by a 28 word Mandarin equivalent of course.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
I think this is more about the message to fasten your set belt when entering turbulence. Not the safety video on how to fasten your set belt.
Ahhh.... In that case, how about getting rid of both!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does sUA equipment have this automated "please put your seatbelts on, it's turbulent" recording?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
PMUA - "seatbelts" - is plenty. Especially at hour 5.5 of 14 hurtling towards HKG.

Followed by a 28 word Mandarin equivalent of course.
And a 27 word Cantonese equivalent then a 45 word Japanese equivalent.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
And a 27 word Cantonese equivalent then a 45 word Japanese equivalent.
The first 45-60 min on TPAC it definitely seems like they never stop with yapping on the PA (human and automated).

Definitely an area for UA to refine and cut down on chatter.

I'm in the camp of "Seatbelts" is plenty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.