Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Any word from KVS.... Have they been closed out as well?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
UA Blocking Access to R and Award Searches as of 10/31/2013? (per ExpertFlyer.com)

I too subscribe to ExpertFlyer and use it to search for upgrade space and set alerts so this comes as really inconvenient and customer-unfriendly news. But of course, we'll still be able to search with the "Mileage Plus Upgrade Award" box checked to see R availability, as well as seeing fare class availability in expert mode correct?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Another great "friendly" move by DLdbaUA. Glad I'm getting out while I can. Still have 1 more flight that was scheduled before my move to AA and award travel (none of which is actually on UA) and that's it. They really did a great job over the past 3 months of keeping this 1K.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
At its heart, this is essentially a further devaluation of GPUs. There's very limited availability of R space at the best of times. So, to make GPUs useable, we had to pay our $50 to ExpertFlyer in order to have a reasonable shot at finding that elusive availability. By removing that tool, there will be few people who have the time or the patience to manually trawl through UA's website looking for space several times per day.

To me, this is one of the biggest downgrades to 1K status that UA has made.
It's almost as if United doesn't want people to earn 1K status.

Then again, when you consider that the number of people with 1K status is going to take a nosedive in 2015, there will be less competition for time with a 1K agent looking for R space.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:41 am

Well that sucks.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Another great "friendly" move by DLdbaUA. Glad I'm getting out while I can. Still have 1 more flight that was scheduled before my move to AA and award travel (none of which is actually on UA) and that's it. They really did a great job over the past 3 months of keeping this 1K.
+1

Booked to 100K on AA, but only 84~ on UA.. Customer friendly changes like these really make me wonder if I should book that extra trip to keep 1K for a 4th year, or just move to Plat and save the $$.. Jeff certainly keeps making the decision easier and easier!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Anyone want to guess how this will be spun by UAInsider's PR team?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I use expert mode on UA.com to obtain such information. Often I would manually find the space before I even receive an EF alert.
That's all well and good, except for one thing:

What you couldn't do on your own- EVER - was continually monitor frequently changing R space while you had an upgrade waitlisted.
This is the true downgrade here.

Is the HouCrew ever going to understand that the customer: 1) isn't the enemy and 2) has CHIOICES in air travel??
Somehow, moves like this make me doubt it.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'm not surprised to see this happening after DL's action few weeks ago...bought milespoint platinum for my upcoming EF renewal, wish I didn't!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 1MM
Big downgrade to the usefulness of EF, although the seat searcher function remains a valuable tool, albeit my secondary purpose for subscribing to EF.

More scary will be if UA deactivates Expert Mode. As others have pointed out, Expert Mode is OK but a very manual tool (one can waste time checking a few times a day to see what the latest upgrade/elite availability is). UA has not resolved the problem that sweeps frequently occur AFTER availability appears on UA. EF has been the best workaround, allowing us to call UA immediately when the upgrades become available and try to get them cleared. W/O EF, we are back to manual checking and hoping the upgrade sweeps happen quickly.

One would think after the HUGE outpouring of complaint last year before Expert Mode was put in place that UA would either resolve the sweeps problem or put in place an upgrade cleared notification that works but that doesn't look to be the case.

Interestingly, someone at GS told me last week that a whole new program is being tested that will be put in place in 2014, perhaps to replace SHARES? Anyone hear about this?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
UA Insider please note

It's like this. UA sells upgrade inventory undermining the value of my 6 SWU instruments. I pay an additional fee to use them via W fare class limitation. Now you've decided to eliminate Expert Flyer's notification of this inventory. I've used EF to work around your archaic system, and if I have to call UA every day or use expert mode on my own to see when this inventory is released, I'm finally going to abandon my 7 year 1k streak for AA.

By the way, you're surely aware of the fact that UA has no spend requirement, offers 8 SWU instead of 6, and even allows EXP flyers to use the equivalent of First Class Lounges on international travel, even when flying economy.

Either retract this denial of inventory notification or say goodbye to $20,000 per year effective 1/1/2014.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: UA GS
I suspect that this policy was implemented to limit the opportunity to 'jump the queue" in the upgade list. Obviously it still could be done, but you now have to find your own availability with your own search.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is seriously disappointing, I have 10 alerts setup for flights to and from SYD and will now end up flying someone else. Not about to play the lottery game on a 20 hour flight
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: Continental
Another "change you will like"

Smisek happens!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

For what it's worth (probably nothing), I just sent a note to 1KVoice expressing my displeasure with this decision.

As another poster noted, I can't understand why United increasingly treats its customers as the enemy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.