Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Is United really that bad?

Hi all. Hoping to get your insight/experiences in the United quality and services.
Taking a business flight in a week from AMS to IAH. First time with United so checking some reviews on the internet.
On below website the sentiment is not positive.
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ual.htm

Is it really that bad? Even for a 10 hour flight in BusinessFirst in the 777-200?

Love to hear your thoughts.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The seat will be excellent, the food fine and the service hit or miss. Overall it should be far better than KLM. The reviews on that site relate largely to domestic economy, which is very basic.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RoyalDutch
Hi all. Hoping to get your insight/experiences in the United quality and services.
Taking a business flight in a week from AMS to IAH. First time with United so checking some reviews on the internet.

Is it really that bad? Even for a 10 hour flight in BusinessFirst in the 777-200?

United is still going through the throes of merger related issues, so as noted above, your experience may be hit or miss. There are plenty of disgruntled passengers, and seemingly plenty of disgruntled employees.

For many of us today's service levels are way above where they were right after 3/3/12 (merger integration date) but way below the pre-merger levels.

As always, YMMV.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
An adventure in flying!

UA isn't so much bad as it is unpredictable. Almost anything can go right, or go wrong, on any trip. Think of it as an adventure rather than a voyage, and make sure that you have nothing to do that's too important in your first 24 hours after arrival and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I'll be on AMS-IAH on 11/5. If you travel first, let me know how it is!

(Seriously, I think it'll be fine. Nothing special, but not bad either. Especially in business class.)
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by transportprof
UA isn't so much bad as it is unpredictable. Almost anything can go right, or go wrong, on any trip. Think of it as an adventure rather than a voyage, and make sure that you have nothing to do that's too important in your first 24 hours after arrival and you'll be fine.
Excellent advice, and ^ to the bolded language. You might have a flawless trip with excellent service and food, or the trip from he11.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the comforting thoughts. Looking forward to this adventure compared to the always predictive (for some people boring) services of KLM business class

Life is full of suprises.

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
I'll be on AMS-IAH on 11/5. If you travel first, let me know how it is!

(Seriously, I think it'll be fine. Nothing special, but not bad either. Especially in business class.)
I'm flying on Monday 11/4 in BF. What a coincidence that would be
If everything goes fine I'll be able to report in time.
(After some feedback I'm fully expecting the adventure of my life)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thanks all for the comforting thoughts. Looking forward to this adventure compared to the always predictive (for some people boring) services of KLM business class

Life is full of suprises.
I'd say pack a spare bottle of water and some snacks just in case
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat
I would say that my experiences are far more hit or miss on domestic US flights. The majority of my int'l flights -- whether the crew be sUA or sCO -- have had at least decent crews; however, I have had several flights with outstanding crews. sUA tend to be a little bit better lately, IME.

I flew in BF from HKG-SFO a couple of weeks ago and the ladies working my section were top notch. Of course YMMV, but I would say your odds of having a good or great crew in BF are higher than having a mediocre or poor crew...at least based on my experiences and preferences.

As stated above, the seat/hard product will be as good (if not better) than most of the competition. Food is IMO the biggest inconsistency...I've had some outstanding meals lately and others that really fell short.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

No, it's not.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i haven't flown premium international cabins apart from UA/CO and TG, so i probably don't have an adequate basis to really comment. ~22 segs, majority of which were US/HK routes.

sleeping on the longhauls is the most important for me. if you aren't that tall, you will likely have a comfortable experience in the PMCO 772 lie flat - book bulkheads if you can. i'm 5'10 or so and i have no problem in the PMCO 772 BF seats. if you are taller though, (i think 6'1" and beyond), you might not be able to lay totally flat even with the seat down because of the pitch. read the "which has a better seat in BF, PMUA/PMCO" threads to get an idea of what the FT'ers say!

food - no matter what, it's still airline food. i'll eat what is on the menu and sometimes it's actually quite good. i do love having some baileys or kahlua with my sundaes.

i don't really have opinions on the FAs. sometimes their friendlier and seem to enjoy what they do, other times they just are going through the motions. none have done anything strange or unprofessional to me yet.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!

The other issue to keep in mind is that I've always found that the website you quote in your posts is usually quite skewed toward the negative since people are more likely to post about a bad experience than a good one.

In all likelihood it will be an enjoyable flight as long as you aren't too picky.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
All airlines have good and bad moments. Some just have more of the former and less of the later....
Old Oct 26, 2013, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
As lhrsfo said, the BF seat is excellent. You can also get food / service, if you're not afraid to be pushy.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The seat will be excellent, the food fine and the service hit or miss. Overall it should be far better than KLM. The reviews on that site relate largely to domestic economy, which is very basic.
...compared to other airlines with old business class seats. Especially if you are on sCO. The seats do not compare to the new reverse herringbone seats found on Delta and others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.