Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 suffers minor tail damage at HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least

In Chinese: http://news.hkheadline.com/dailynews/content_hk/2013/10/08/257469.asp

The aircraft on Oct 7 at around 8:30am local time was pushed back into a building and suffering tail damage as a result. There was a pic of the tail damage on the print edition of the newspaper, but not the online edition.

I'm wondering why the aircraft was there, as it's not the one used on the SFO routes. No flight delays or cancellation as a result.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:05 am

According to the article, the aircraft was in maintenance and was being towed between hangers.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Flying through HKG a few times the last couple of weeks I noticed a lot of aircraft (very congested) over at HAECO and a few UA planes (2 747's and a 777), so I am not surprised this could happen.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:10 am

I wonder if HAECO is financially responsible for the oops.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Found these images on Reddit:

http://imgur.com/a/F521X
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Oh yeah, that looks "minor". Just buff it out.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Oh yeah, that looks "minor". Just buff it out.
A little duct tape and it will be good as new.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:19 am

How the heck would you repair that?! Get a new tail?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Let's hope this bird gets retired before a JAL 123 scenario can repeat itself.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I think between the JL123 and CI611 crashes they've figured out the need properly repair tails (and airplanes parts in general).
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You have truly embraced the UA repair philosophy. I was on a PMUA 757 and had the overhead area fall apart during flight. Out came a roll of duct tape to the rescue.

Originally Posted by halls120
A little duct tape and it will be good as new.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:22 am

I'd be curious to know how much it costs to fix the tail? Fortunately it's American & not one of those fancy European models! :-P
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by edcho
How the heck would you repair that?! Get a new tail?
Maybe they can find one with the tulip on it. That would be an improvement. ^
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Do you even know what happened on JAL123? It was the pressure bulkhead that caused the crash, not the vertical stabilizer.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kziel777
Do you even know what happened on JAL123? It was the pressure bulkhead that caused the crash, not the vertical stabilizer.
The explosive decompression which occurred as a result of the aft pressure bulkhead failing ripped the vertical stabilizer off. It was because of the loss of vertical stabilizer and consequently hydraulics that the plane crashed (or the hydraulics might have been damaged during the explosive decompression). All this was caused by an improperly repaired tail following a tail strike many years earlier.

You can fly a plane unpressurized, but it's much harder to fly a plane without hydraulics (I think a DHL plane in Iraq was the only jumbo jet to do it successfully). All this to say that it's a fair statement to be worried about an improperly done repair causing problems later. But, I would really hope lessons have been learned and repair procedures are much better now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.