Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help w purchase DEN-POS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Help w purchase DEN-POS

Hi,

I am looking to travel from DEN to POS during Christmas break. I see P class fare at $1,076 each. Lowest economy during that time was $843.

Is $1,076 a good P class fare to POS during that time?

Any help greatly appreciated. Also, any pointers on the destination will be great.

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I'm surprised that "POS" is a real airport code. I had to Google it to find it it is Piarco International Airport.

I guess whomever approved that code isn't based in the US....
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Port Of Spain - Trinidad
Just to clarify
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
From Denver, yes. Enjoy a beer at the curbside bar. POS = Port Of Spain.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
That is a very GOOD Price for Business Class. Coach is usually $800 plus. I see there are two flights to POS from IAH this December on certain days. This is the first time there are two flights a day from IAH.

I have seen IAH-POS north of $2700. I would buy it at just $1,067 in a heart beat!!! The service is very good. If flying from Houston, try to get a seat closer to the front to get your meal choice. It is close to a 6 hour flight from IAH. There are normally 3 hot choices in Business from Newark and Houston.

I have a video below of what is food service is like on flight to POS. Newark and Houston catering is about the same. This was from Newark.
NEWARK-POS Continental Airlines Food Service in First Class International Dinner & Menu 737-800 Boeing

If you do fly coach the food is free an all flight to and from POS.

Is it routing you through Newark? Newark POS has more Business Class seats available. (Easier Upgrades). I was just checking from DAL and some days it is $700 less to fly via Newark to POS than IAH. I like the Newark flight coming back because it gives you a whole day in POS. Also even though they leave at Midnight from Newark there is still a full dinner service.

Looks like most of the 738s to POS are the ones with 20F seats. (drop down TV but DirecTV does work anyways to POS) Wow looking now on some days there are 32F seats. 20F on 738 and 12F on the 737 from IAH and another 20F from EWR. I think that is why prices are lower than normal, but they will sell out.

I would buy sooner than later. POS sells out in F and prices will only go up. Forget about upgrade. IAH-POS usually go out full with no upgrades.

Is this your first time in POS? If so I strongly recommend buying a $50 round trip ticket on Caribbean Airlines and spending your time in Tobago. It is more like a true tropical island. POS is like Houston, a big city. ( You don't go to POS to get away, more work lol) Nothing like the tropical island get away most think of the Caribbean. Look into the Sand Point Village in Tobago. They have rooms that are nice and less than $80 US a night right on the ocean.
Video of hotel room here. Second half is sunny first part it rained.
http://youtu.be/mdf4c3i662c
Video of hotel grounds
http://youtu.be/PB-eNsUhZJs
I mean the water is 5 feet from your door. You can walk to the hotel from the airport in Tobago. Water is crystal clear and it is really beautiful. Unless your going for business I wouldn't spend more than a day in Port of Spain. There are 22 flights a day to TAB from POS on Caribbean Airlines. It short 15 minute flight to TAB.

Last edited by CO777DAL; Sep 14, 2013 at 2:40 am
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your detailed response. Greatly appreciate it.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I'm surprised that "POS" is a real airport code. I had to Google it...
There is an Airport Code Lookup link at the bottom of every page.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil Level
I'm surprised that "POS" is a real airport code. I had to Google it to find it it is Piarco International Airport.

I guess whomever approved that code isn't based in the US....
In most threads it is used to refer to a "Passenger Of Size". I guess that sounds better than "Fat Person" but it can lead to confusion when there's an airport code with the same letters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.