Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA solicits upgrade for $$, but then waitlists

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA

I'll confess ignorance at the start - I don't understand how upgrades work these days (it has been a long time since I got one). Recently booked a flight SFO-CDG for me (gold) and spouse (silver. ) K Class fare, on a Tuesday in October. At conclusion of booking, was asked if I wanted to upgrade from E+ to BusinessFirst for $$ + 20,000 miles each. (Would this be considered a TOD upgrade?) I clicked Yes, but then got the message that we were waitlisted for the upgrade, on a list that would expire at T-24. Questions: Will all 1-Ks and platinums get upgraded before us, even though UA is charging us $$ for the upgrade? That would mean there is next to no chance that we will get upgraded. (Now, 14 of 30 seats are available for purchase; tomorrow's flight shows 2 seats available for purchase in Business; flights in a few days show zero seats.) If my guess is correct, it would appear that UA's offering of upgrades for $$ when there are not seats to be had, is a scheme for UA to bank passengers' $$ until they get around to making refunds. Considering all the pax that would buy upgrades, that could amount to many $$ millions per year of float that UA gets to keep in the bank or use as working capital.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: UA-Gold SPG-Gold Avis-First
I also paid $+miles to upgrade a leg last year when I booked ORD-LHR, but knew that I would only be waitlisted. When the upgrade did not happen it took a couple months to get the money credited back to my Amex, though the miles were credited sooner. (and it did not happen automatically--I had to fill out the request for refund online) I was so annoyed that I would not do this again unless the upgrade was actually available at booking.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
I'm no expert, but if your upgrade doesn't clear at T-24, you'll be added to the airport upgrade list once you check in. If your upgrade doesn't clear, you'll get the $$$ and miles back!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mbarreto
I'm no expert, but if your upgrade doesn't clear at T-24, you'll be added to the airport upgrade list once you check in. If your upgrade doesn't clear, you'll get the $$$ and miles back!
+1

If you had looked carefully, the booking screen where you clicked "upgrade" would have said that "waitlist only" was available.

This is called a "Mileage Plus Upgrade Award." It is described here: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...grade/mua.aspx
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Kacee
..If you had looked carefully, the booking screen where you clicked "upgrade" would have said that "waitlist only" was available...
On occasion I envy your faith in UA's IT. But yes, this was a regular upgrade, nothing to do with HODs.
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
..Questions: Will all 1-Ks and platinums get upgraded before us, even though UA is charging us $$ for the upgrade? ...
Officially yes, elites "go through first" .. but it is cash and for today's UA that is all that counts. The system - and some stations - may well bend the rules somewhat.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
What you describe is the normal sequence of events for Mileage Plus upgrades. They take your money and your miles, and you don't get them back until after the flight, although I must say that my experience is that they refund quickly (miles immediately, and $$ within 3-4 days) if you don't clear.

SFO-CDG is a tough upgrade, due to the popularity of both cities for leisure travelers, so don't get your hopes too high - as you point out GS, 1K, and Plat will be ahead of you in the queue, and there are a lot of these in SFO!

One trick though is to start watching the seat map in coach as it gets closer to the day of travel. You can at least benefit from upgrades by grabbing someone else's more-desirable Y seat if they get upgraded!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just to be clear, there are no free upgrades on that route.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:30 am

You could set an EF alert to let you know if R space opens up between now and your flight. As others have mentioned if you don't get the UG you'll at least get the $ & Miles back.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
10 years ago if you try to upgrade with miles internationally, first you have to buy H class and up fares, then you have to waitlist. However, if your upgrade don't clear, only your miles will be refunded, but your H class sticks, so it means you pay H class for nothing.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
10 years ago if you try to upgrade with miles internationally, first you have to buy H class and up fares, then you have to waitlist. However, if your upgrade don't clear, only your miles will be refunded, but your H class sticks, so it means you pay H class for nothing.
And ten years ago, wi-fi didn't exist on planes.

Not sure the point of this post.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I remember those days. However, back then when I did this, the upgrade percentage for me was about 90% so didn't mind getting stuck with a "H" class one out of every ten flights.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya
And ten years ago, wi-fi didn't exist on planes.

Not sure the point of this post.
His point is that mileage upgrades on PMUA used to have no co-pay option; you had to buy the higher fare as you do today with GPUs (and on PMUA, always have).

With the co-pay option you can often score an upgrade for less cash than if you had bought the higher fare. The post merger change that UA thinks we like is that the co-pay is due at time of upgrade versus check in. UA wants to be a bank now. Might as well, banks at least make money unlike commercial aviation.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
His point is that mileage upgrades on PMUA used to have no co-pay option; you had to buy the higher fare as you do today with GPUs (and on PMUA, always have).

With the co-pay option you can often score an upgrade for less cash than if you had bought the higher fare. The post merger change that UA thinks we like is that the co-pay is due at time of upgrade versus check in. UA wants to be a bank now. Might as well, banks at least make money unlike commercial aviation.
I'm aware of the change in policy (cash now v. later). We've had it in at least 200 posts since Day 1.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by aacharya
I'm aware of the change in policy (cash now v. later). We've had it in at least 200 posts since Day 1.
I am over communicating while making a point.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by weero
On occasion I envy your faith in UA's IT. But yes, this was a regular upgrade, nothing to do with HODs.
Oh I've had my issues with UA over the years. But I'm familiar with this particular screen. It either tells you how many seats are available for upgrade or that its "waitlist only."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.