Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Free economy plus access (non-status passenger)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free economy plus access (non-status passenger)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by duniawala
They were just load balancing the plane and you were the chosen lucky one.

I had a different experience this week. All E seats were taken when I did my OLCI. I had no seat assigned till I talked to the GA. And I am *A silver.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by vernonc
I had a different experience this week. All E seats were taken when I did my OLCI. I had no seat assigned till I talked to the GA. And I am *A silver.
As *A silver you are not entitled to E+ for free - UA regards you as having no UA status for E+ purposes.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:40 pm

Same

Flying on 660 LAX-ORD today (and about to board now) and there was a link After I changed in that said select free economy plus while available. The link took me to seat selection where I could pick E+ seats for the first leg of my trip but not the second. That was this morning. However I just checked again and it gave me the same option for the second leg as well.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:37 am

I've once seen a glitch in the seatmap where the entire cabin showed as E-, including E+ seats. I was able to select an E+ exit row seat, which stuck. However the glitch was only for one segment of a multi-segment booking, and I've never seen it again since. Strange.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by AA2004
Flying on 660 LAX-ORD today (and about to board now) and there was a link After I changed in that said select free economy plus while available. The link took me to seat selection where I could pick E+ seats for the first leg of my trip but not the second. That was this morning. However I just checked again and it gave me the same option for the second leg as well.
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I've once seen a glitch in the seatmap where the entire cabin showed as E-, including E+ seats. I was able to select an E+ exit row seat, which stuck. However the glitch was only for one segment of a multi-segment booking, and I've never seen it again since. Strange.
Not a glitch! UA realized the problem with BE getting E+ for free. Since it's not possible (from a custserv standpoint) to move people around wo/permission, they've decided to let regular E pax select E+ when flights are full. Link to UA quote in blog.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
According to the blok mentioned above - internal UA memo to employees:

"There will be instances where the only seats available for customers who purchased Basic Economy are Economy Plus seats. In order to minimize this occurrence, we are working on a few initiatives that will help to identify high-value customers with a standard Economy ticket. We can then offer a free Economy Plus seat to these customers prior to the check-in window opening in order to free up seats in economy for customers who purchased a Basic Economy ticket."

I hope, that non-UA *A are "high-value customers" ;-)
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Not a glitch! UA realized the problem with BE getting E+ for free. Since it's not possible (from a custserv standpoint) to move people around wo/permission, they've decided to let regular E pax select E+ when flights are full. Link to UA quote in blog.
I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case, at least in my incidence. This was an international flight on a 767 booked fairly far in advance, where both E- and E+ were fairly open. Just where the seats should have shown up at E+, they showed up as E- instead (with the white instead of blue shading and everything).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SPlDER

"There will be instances where the only seats available for customers who purchased Basic Economy are Economy Plus seats. In order to minimize this occurrence, we are working on a few initiatives that will help to identify high-value customers with a standard Economy ticket. We can then offer a free Economy Plus seat to these customers prior to the check-in window opening in order to free up seats in economy for customers who purchased a Basic Economy ticket."

I hope, that non-UA *A are "high-value customers" ;-)
It could also be higher fare classes.

For example, Y and B fares on Air Canada entitle you to the equivalent of E+ at no charge.

And I suspect someone buying a B fare is much higher value than a foreign *G
SPlDER likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Last year for some reason I got free E+ for an entire year. Sad when that perk went away. MP account but just General member.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhunt
Last year for some reason I got free E+ for an entire year. Sad when that perk went away. MP account but just General member.
That was part of a broader program, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...10-2016-a.html
These new E+ access are one-time and it is speculated related to freeing space in E- for BE customers.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by SPlDER

"...We can then offer a free Economy Plus seat to these customers prior to the check-in window opening in order to free up seats in economy for customers who purchased a Basic Economy ticket."
Here's a thought (probably a stupid one at that) - If they moved the free E+ for silvers from check in to time of booking, do you think that'd free enough E- seats? Or do most silvers upgrade at check in so it wouldn't really make a difference?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Lubey
Here's a thought (probably a stupid one at that) - If they moved the free E+ for silvers from check in to time of booking, do you think that'd free enough E- seats? Or do most silvers upgrade at check in so it wouldn't really make a difference?
Personally, I don't see anything wrong in doing that other than it makes sense
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Not a "stupid" idea, but not a great one either. The problem is that it would devalue all of the higher elites by decreasing the pool of E+ seats available to Gold/Plat/1K/GS at the time of their bookings. Where a last minute business trip by a 1K might have been able to secure an aisle or window in E+, they might only be able to get an E+ middle or E- under your suggestion.

Silver gets free E+ at checkin when available, that is a good perk for an "entry level" elite. Maybe you could move it to T-36 hours or even T-48 hours, but time of booking would cause problems.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I want to provide another data point. I am also a non-status pax, travelling domestically on a W fare. Strangely, when I first did my online check-in at T-24, I was only able to select E- seats (and I did get confirmed seats in the E- cabin). However, several hours later, when I went through the check-in process again, I saw a banner saying that "While available, enjoy Free Economy Plus". At first, I couldn't believe it, but I was indeed able to select any open E+ seats for free! Was this a promotion of some kind?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Personally, I don't see anything wrong in doing that other than it makes sense
Would devalue one of the few things differentiating Gold from Silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.