Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
7/12/2013 @ 1:16 AM ET - Post 1 - An tweet noticed by penner42 in regards to "a new rewards experience" coming to MileagePlus members. Direct link for tweet post is here and for Facebook is here.
7/12/2013 @ 2:33 PM ET - Post 179 - An update by UA Insider telling us to hang tight.
Hi everyone,

Wanted to jump in here and let you know that we are indeed looking ahead to an announcement about new reward opportunities for MileagePlus members—over and above what you’ve seen already this week. I’ll ask that you sit tight for the next few days, but rest assured you can expect full details from me the minute we go live. And while I know you’ll give us honest feedback (as always), I do believe this is something to look forward to :-).

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Note: The Mercedes-Benz offer for Premier members is NOT related to this.
Print Wikipost

New rewards experience coming

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Bingo. I just went to the site, input my MP# and PW and got the following:
Vulcan
MileagePlus Number:
ACXXXXXXX
Award miles balance:
Choices program
balance:*
Choices Program activity

*Miles earned with the MileagePlus credit card are available for redemption in the MileagePlus Choices program. Your program balance includes any miles earned on your MileagePlus credit card that have not already been redeemed.

Futher playing indicates the 131,292 can be used to offset $1,312. Where did the 131,292 come from???????
This is the Chase Choices program redemption option for certain UA branded CCs. It's been around for a long time, and is not a new deal. The 131292 comes from your spend on UA branded CCs. RDMs earned from chase CCs that include the Choices program benefit correspond to Choices program balance at a 1:1 ratio
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
Your logic is severely flawed by claiming 'wait and see'. Imagine, if you can, that they announce an IMMEDIATE shift to a revenue based 'reward' system where miles are worth 1 cent. You wanted to fly TG F? Too bad for you. Now consider that many (most?) of the folks on the UA board or Plat or 1K -- they get to make unlimited award cancellations. Booking an award right now is like 'buying' an option, except you are 'buying' it at ZERO cost.

So, please, do explain to me why your 'wait and see' approach is best? Perhaps I could recommend a course on options theory.

And with the Hou Crew, COdbaUA, whatever you want to call them -- when was the last time that 'wait and see' worked out in our favor? These guys are just reaping what they've sowed for the past 15 months (or maybe longer, from the CO perspective.)
Not making decisions with zero data is a flawed logic? Wow, just wow. I think making decisions with zero data is a flawed logic. When I get some actual data to make a decision with is when I will make a decision. I do agree not much has been in our favor since the merger but it has not been 100% bad. So you do what you want and I'll do what I want.

Last edited by Baze; Jul 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm Reason: Fixed typo
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your logic is severely flawed by claiming 'wait and see'. Imagine, if you can, that they announce an IMMEDIATE shift to a revenue based 'reward' system where miles are worth 1 cent. You wanted to fly TG F? Too bad for you. Now consider that many (most?) of the folks on the UA board or Plat or 1K -- they get to make unlimited award cancellations. Booking an award right now is like 'buying' an option, except you are 'buying' it at ZERO cost.

So, please, do explain to me why your 'wait and see' approach is best? Perhaps I could recommend a course on options theory.

And with the Hou Crew, COdbaUA, whatever you want to call them -- when was the last time that 'wait and see' worked out in our favor? These guys are just reaping what they've sowed for the past 15 months (or maybe longer, from the CO perspective.)
By this theory, one should just spend all the miles, stop flying United and find other more trustworthy airline

Our educated guess is that it is not going to be a significantn devaluation or change right now as they are busy with other already-announced changes and they really can't afford to alienate more customers at this time.

I think reading too much finance related stuff like options theory will make me trust others less - I think the finance industry is less trustworthy than the airline industry All that said, FF miles is like invesment, some diversification is smart.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Vulcan
MileagePlus Number:
ACXXXXXXX
Award miles balance:
Choices program
Choices Program activity

*Miles earned with the MileagePlus credit card are available for redemption in the MileagePlus Choices program. Your program balance includes any miles earned on your MileagePlus credit card that have not already been redeemed.

Futher playing indicates the 131,292 can be used to offset $1,312. Where did the 131,292 come from???????
This option has been available for the old Chase platinum Mileage plus card for years.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by username
they are busy with other already-announced changes and they really can't afford to alienate more customers at this time.
Lol. That hasn't stopped United in the past.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vulcan
MileagePlus Number:
ACXXXXXXX
Award miles balance:
Choices program
Choices Program activity

Spend on the card? Sign up bonus?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm guessing they're flying the national turkey to a happy life in Disneyland again this year, in F. Anyone who wants to fly with a turkey for 4 hours can have a once-in-a-lifetime chance for only 100,000 miles. Bring your own gravy and pumpkin pie.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm remembering way back, when they upped domestic r.t. 25% from 40K to 50K (that's what I spend my miles on). At the same time, they introduced the Saver awards. All the hype of the announcement was of course on how the Saver awards were cheaper than before!

Nice spin. I've never been able to use one. I'm not interested in catching a 6 AM flight with family and baggage, or cutting my vacation short by a day to go on lightly traveled days.

With this in mind, I'll be surprised if the new announcement is anything good. I'd love to be surprised, of course.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by Baze
Not making decisions with zero data is a flawed logic? Wow, just wow. I think making decisions with zero data is a flawed logic. When I get some actual data to make a decision with is when I will make a decision. I do agree not much has been in our favor since the merger but it has not been 100% bad. So you do what you want and I'll do what I want.
Actually, we have 2 pieces of data:

A. A change is coming.
B. The majority of FFP changes are bad (for members, that is).

In this situation, considering some sort of hedging/risk modification would be logical. If you get free award cancellation or are willing to eat the cancellation fee, it makes sense to book something now, particularly if you were considering a redemption anyways.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Arcanum
. If you get free award cancellation or are willing to eat the cancellation fee, it makes sense to book something now, particularly if you were considering a redemption anyways.
I would think that if you were considering a redemption anyway and if you get free award cancellation, you should go ahead and make the booking, regardless of this twitter. But I gues sometimes people just need some sort of trigger
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Spend on the card? Sign up bonus?
Spend on the card for sure and with category bonus included.

I believe the sign-up bonus is also included. The Choices program balance with my MileagePlus Visa Select account could not have reached the current level without counting that one in.

I never had any redemption specific to the Choices program and the current balance pretty much reflected the total miles I have earned on the Chase card over the years despite numerous award flight redemptions.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I am predicting the new rewards will be off-peak travel for reduced mileage. Want to fly to London on January 23? Have we got a deal for you!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I am predicting the new rewards will be off-peak travel for reduced mileage. Want to fly to London on January 23? Have we got a deal for you!
This sounds great if true. My fear is whether New UA will take away anything in order to balance out the mileage shortage from the off-peak offers.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Is that really a new experience? United has offered reduced mileage awards for off-peak travel in the past.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT

Booking a bunch of awards tickets and changing/cancelling them is only zero cost when dealing with United if you place zero value on your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.