Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Testing New Toilet Paper on Yesterday's UA 931 [16-Jun-2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
At least with the individual napkins, they were, "hand picked (and placed) with care" by the FA!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
[email protected]

Inexcusable. Situations like this need to be made known within a company.... Provide him with details. I've emailed him a few times and he's quick to reply. And yes, it IS him.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Forget an email to him

FB and social media will work better. They can't even properly stock TP, what other corners are they cutting???
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Well.....what a great Marketing opportunity. Just think of the Brand impressions these napkins have over that of standard TP.

But, I'm thinking about the Brand characteristic/personality that pop's into a customers mind after seeing this.

Very unfortunate...............but not unexpected.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
My first thought was "the three seashells".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBI8uCKi2lI
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card

After the MQD announcement today, God I hope I have the chance to wipe my posterior with a United logo this evening as I sit in E+ of a 757 to BCN since my GPU didn't clear. It's raining at EWR too. Nothing like a delayed narrow body to make this day even more enjoyable.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
This is indeed a classic.

That being said, however, there's an argument that the napkins are much gentler on one's "nether regions" than the toilet paper available in the public toilets at LHR.

Greg
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
What about the notice which says not to put anything in the commode except for toilet paper since doing so can cause problems or leaks with the system? Should this be changed to include napkins? Seriously, are napkins OK in the blue waste?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by relangford
What about the notice which says not to put anything in the commode except for toilet paper since doing so can cause problems or leaks with the system? Should this be changed to include napkins? Seriously, are napkins OK in the blue waste?
Probably not -- which may lead to the bathroom going MX when the drainage/waste system gets clogged. .
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:04 am

Here's Why United Was Just Named America's Worst Airline

http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/unite...-toilet-paper/

" ... lax approach to basic customer service that's led to United once again ranking dead last in the American Customer Service Index. The quarterly ranking of various consumer-facing industries and companies found that while the airline industry as a whole has slightly improved, it still rates poorly among consumers, with only TV and internet providers performing worse. And within the industry, there was United in dead last once again, with an aggregate score of 62 points out of 100. JetBlue and Southwest (LUV) led the category, scoring 83 and 81 points, respectively.

The index is compiled through thousands of phone and email surveys, and each company score is the product of 250 interviews."
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Sigh... Some people are NEVER happy. Not even Emirates has 4-ply TP.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
The index is compiled through thousands of phone and email surveys, and each company score is the product of 250 interviews."
Update (3:45 p.m. ET): A United spokesperson responds to the mishap:

"The aircraft ran low on toilet tissue and our crew improvised and provided customers with paper napkins. We apologize to our customers on this flight for the inconvenience and would like the opportunity to welcome them back."
It's certainly confirmation the photo is authentic. UA is the butt of this joke.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
It's just baffling to me that no one on the board is standing up and saying "Look, this company is going in the wrong direction. We are ranking last month in and out on customer complaints, delayed more than most most months." It's not getting better, and they are losing money and customers each quarterly report.

I assure you, any businessman will tell you that there is more to it than just the stock price. It's sad, I feel awful for the good employees, it's disheartening for the ones that actually do give a .... to go to work feeling crap about your job.

I'm married to one. She was there through Lorenzo and how bad it was, then loved her job all the way through the Gordon era, and now is miserable again.

Is it that fricken hard to just be nice to a customer ?. Southwest manages to do it with more or less every employee
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by relangford
Seriously, are napkins OK in the blue waste?
That's not MY problem, isn't it. FA knew about it and they "improvised" so the choices were clear.

Ground crew will, eventually, emptied the line & hopefully flush it out while servicing the plane. If not, management will eventually figure out the costs in not stocking extra/enough basic necessity items like TP onboard each aircraft - or deal with the financial costs associated with MX delays & cancellations.

Who knows, could soon start charging for TP onboard as a premium item or BYO - not all that uncommon while traveling within China - buy your own tissues & bring them with you, or else,

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jun 19, 2013 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Update (3:45 p.m. ET): A United spokesperson responds to the mishap:

"The aircraft ran low on toilet tissue and our crew improvised and provided customers with paper napkins. We apologize to our customers on this flight for the inconvenience and would like the opportunity to welcome them back."
"would like the opportunity to welcome them back"....seriously?

New UA...we will screw up everything we can, but like the opportunity to welcome you back. We have seen how this plan is working out as the revenue and profits are rolling in from everyone flocking back.

No statement that this is unacceptable. No mention of steps being taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Sounds almost like the crew is being congratulated for their McGyver-like improvising.

Unsolicited advice: Some honesty, accountability, and even a sense of humor would go much further then marketing double-speak.

Last edited by goodeats21; Jun 19, 2013 at 11:21 am Reason: added thought

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.