Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Separate Frequent Flyer Number for Outbound & Return Legs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Amex Centurion

Hi all --

Is it possible to use my United FF# for the outbound portion of a round trip, but switch to a different FF# (say, US Air) for the return?

This may sound like an odd need, but I am doing a premier match and don't want to hit 18,000 miles until after July, so that I get an extra year of status. For an upcoming trip, I'd like to get upgraded for the outbound, but don't want to accumulate miles for the return. The timing is very delicate!

Thanks --
PC
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pedro colizzle
... Is it possible to use my United FF# for the outbound portion of a round trip, but switch to a different FF# (say, US Air) for the return? ...
yes, but the outcome may not be want you desire depending on the gap.

Recent reports suggest the FF in the record at time of posting, not time of flight, is determining the account. So if the outbound posts before your return flight, things should work out. This means there needs to 3,4,5 day gap.

A shorter gap may lead to an unexpected outcome.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Amex Centurion
Interesting, thanks. I'll be sure to add a datapoint after this all works out.

By posting, do we mean "the moment miles are attributed to my United Mileageplus account, and visible on my profile?" If so, since posting takes place well after the flight itself, why would the size of the gap be relevant? Switching FFNs pre-return would mean I'd have my US Air number on record both during the time of the flight, and at the time of posting.

Incidentally, there are 4 days between legs, so I'm solidly in the grey area. I think I am going to be safe and switch both legs to US Air now, even if that means I risk forfeiting my upgrade on the outbound, which has now cleared.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
The safest way is to call UA to cancel your UA number after you've flown the outbound.
After you've flown the return, ask for credit retroactively from US (and maybe UA for the outbound).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.