Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United changed our Itinerary and the time is not acceptable...now what?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold

Searched and couldn't find the answer...although I'm sure it exists...here's the situation:

Wife and I are booked ORD-LAS over labor day weekend. Out on the 29th, back on the 1st on UA866 departing at 6:10pm. Chose this flight so we could get a full day of sun and pool time with the other couples who are staying over an extra night. Went to check on upgrades today and they have a "change in our itinerary" to a 2:25pm flight, leaving us virtually no time at the pool...in fact the flight UA866 doesn't even exist any longer.

What is the best way to go about handling this situation? If it matters, my wife is Global Services, and I'm Gold. Will United put us on another carrier with a similar departure time?
Old May 20, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Just pick up the phone and call. They can sometimes be helpful over the phone.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Call the GS line.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Just pick up the phone and call. They can sometimes be helpful over the phone.
The wife will call tomorrow...she's in Italy for work and is sleeping now. Was just hoping to prepare her for what reasonable expectations are in what can be done.
In looking, it appears there is an American flight leaving at 5:10 direct to ORD.

We were already confirmed using upgrades in First on the way home too!
Old May 20, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Call them - that large of schedule change they should put on any UA route you want back to ORD that day (the 1st).

Think you can also get a full refund if you ask.

Doubt they'll put you on an OA, but I don't know what magic the GS desk can do.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
UA is unlikely to confirm you easily on an alternate airline but stranger things have happened. Make sure you review all the UA flight options to have a fall back position of what you want. It always help to tell them what you want instead of waiting for them to offer something you don't.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
UA is unlikely to confirm you easily on an alternate airline but stranger things have happened. Make sure you review all the UA flight options to have a fall back position of what you want. It always help to tell them what you want instead of waiting for them to offer something you don't.
I appreciate the advice...I've looked at UA, and there is nothing remotely close to that 610pm departure that doesn't take you over night. There is one through Denver leaving around 3ish, but that isn't much better.

I'll let you guys know what they say...just can't believe this flight got scrapped, it appeared to be over 50% sold when we booked it last month?!?!
Old May 20, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I've come to expect schedule changes with UA and many times, it's not a bad thing...the agents on the phone are usually quite helpful, particularly if you feed them the alternate flights you want. The Sunday of Labor Day weekend should be unusually slow since many have the next day off so I'm not surprised UA is cutting the schedule back a bit.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:28 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
September 1st late afternoon and evening looks pretty bleak. Last flight that is not a red-eye is at 3:15pm via DEN. Gains only 50 minutes at the pool. Other than that you could leave at 7:00pm or so and get a red-eye at San Francisco.

Also should be able to ask to move the flight to the next morning, if that would work with your personal schedule. Should be no charge in this situation even if it would have been more expensive to begin with.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
If all else fails, refuse the schedule change and request a refund for that segment (should be half the $ of the round trip back to you) then rebook a one way on AA or WN
Old May 20, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ted
September 1st late afternoon and evening looks pretty bleak. Last flight that is not a red-eye is at 3:15pm via DEN. Gains only 50 minutes at the pool. Other than that you could leave at 7:00pm or so and get a red-eye at San Francisco.

Also should be able to ask to move the flight to the next morning, if that would work with your personal schedule. Should be no charge in this situation even if it would have been more expensive to begin with.
Yup, and that's the biggest problem. I don't see any alternative on UA that works for us. We have plans the next day, with our kids and don't really want to cancel and stretch the time for them at Grandma and Grandpa's house....alternatively, the UA flight will cost us $100 more each.

And now to make matters even worse, I just remembered that we used UA flight credits to book these....ARGH!!!!
Old May 21, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Yup, and that's the biggest problem. I don't see any alternative on UA that works for us. We have plans the next day, with our kids and don't really want to cancel and stretch the time for them at Grandma and Grandpa's house....alternatively, the UA flight will cost us $100 more each.

And now to make matters even worse, I just remembered that we used UA flight credits to book these....ARGH!!!!
my guess is that they'd rebook you for the next day (labor day) without extra charge if you're willing to compromise on the other issues.
Old May 21, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
There's a US connection via PHX at 435p that gets to ORD at 1156p. Not ideal either in terms of pool time or beach time, but gives you one hour more than the UA connection.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:03 am

The only ideal available flight for you would probably be LAS-ORD on AA794 (5:10 PM - 10:35 PM). Maybe try asking UA for that flight? Besides that, I don't see any available flight (with space) that leaves that late and arrives on the same day (lots of red eyes with connections though).
Old May 21, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
color me skeptical, but I don't see UA doing anything here other than offering a different flight or refund, nor should they.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.