Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is GlobalFirst worth a reposition (over BusinessFirst)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is GlobalFirst worth a reposition (over BusinessFirst)?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by burlax
If the OP can get on 748i on IAD-FRA, that's even better. No need to fly in RJ if they doesn't want to - they can rent a car / book a limo from NYC to DC. Also, flying in LH F means SEN lounge in IAD and the arrival F lounge in FRA.
I've been watching 419 like a hawk and 2 F seats basically never opens up. I've seen it happen once in the past 2 months. I scored a solo seat in Nov FRA-IAD, but 2 seats simply isn't something you could count on. 417, an earlier flight in old F on the 330 does open up fairly often and YYZ-FRA is pretty good, too. The LAX flight with the 747-8 is probably the only bet for 2 F seats on that aircraft USA-FRA.

Last edited by DC777Fan; May 8, 2013 at 11:21 am
Old May 8, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA
If you are doing all 3 flights connecting to each other I would not re-position. It is already long enough as is and it is a night flight anyway. I can sleep the same on either seat and you will get enough food on the other 2 flights.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
In terms of alternate routings, is there any way you can do

SQ: JFK-FRA-SIN-BKK
or
SQ: EWR-SIN-BKK (I'm not sure exactly when they're ending that service).
Old May 8, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by burlax
Also, flying in LH F means SEN lounge in IAD and the arrival F lounge in FRA.
arrival to FRA in UA BF also provides access to the arrivals lounge, unless that has changed since January when i did it.

to answer the original question i have never flown in GF but given the extremely underwhelming reviews of it as well as the pictures of the food in the Let's Eat! thread, I don't ever intend to fly it, and certainly would never reposition to do so.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent flyer, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by endrond

or
Would love to, but unfortunately I don't think SQ F award space is released to UA.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Is your final destination FRA? If not - between EWR/JFK and FRA/MUC, you should have a good chance of F seats opening up on one of the ~5-6 daily flight options.
Just what I was thinking......a Non Stop is always best but UA's BF aint great. Global First is fine comfort wise but not one of the industries top products and not worth taking a chance on a connection you don't HAVE to make. Especially as I dont have a lot of trust in UAX to get me from NY-IAD on time

BUT!!!!!! LH has flights from EWR to MUC, FRA and DUS that all have first class and these flights do tend to open 14 days out. The FRA flight has the seat/bed combo on the 744 which is fantastic. I would wait and try to book into that if it opens, if not stay in BF on UA non stop
Old May 8, 2013, 2:09 pm

Is UA not compelled to transport him from A to B in the class ticketed? If not, what's to stop them from overselling F if someone is booked on mileage and then bumping the mileage ticket down to business or economy? Not that anyone would really pay for GF, but still...
Old May 8, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
OP. Take all the good advise on this page and change to LH!

Originally Posted by endrond

or
Originally Posted by kluever
Would love to, but unfortunately I don't think SQ F award space is released to UA.
Correct no SQ F or C* space *(on 3 cabin flights).

Enjoy the trip!
Old May 8, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Madone59
OP. Take all the good advise on this page and change to LH!
While a good idea, frankly, the chances of getting two seats on the same particular flight on LH are pretty darn slim.

Correct no SQ F or C* space *(on 3 cabin flights).
Just for clarity, although not relevant here, you are correct on long haul flights, but award seats are available in both F and C on intra-Asia flights.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I've been watching 419 like a hawk and 2 F seats basically never opens up. I've seen it happen once in the past 2 months. I scored a solo seat in Nov FRA-IAD, but 2 seats simply isn't something you could count on. 417, an earlier flight in old F on the 330 does open up fairly often and YYZ-FRA is pretty good, too. The LAX flight with the 747-8 is probably the only bet for 2 F seats on that aircraft USA-FRA.
I say this and not a few hours later, I just switched to 419 for next week 2 pax. Somehow we got lucky as I've been watching this flight for a long time and have never seen 2 seats open up...
Old May 8, 2013, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I say this and not a few hours later, I just switched to 419 for next week 2 pax. Somehow we got lucky as I've been watching this flight for a long time and have never seen 2 seats open up...
Congrats!!
Old May 8, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
I would fly ANY *A line before I would fly SmisekUA. Why pay more for inferior service, food, etc.? Jeffie has turned a once great airline into KettleAir.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe a blind hawk.
I've seen plenty of 419 avails.

Just checked now and ANA and UA.com show at least two F seats on 419 on...
Friday 5/17
Saturday 5/18
Monday 5/20
Tuesday 5/21
Wednesday 5/22
Old May 8, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Maybe a blind hawk.
I've seen plenty of 419 avails.

Just checked now and ANA and UA.com show at least two F seats on 419 on...
Friday 5/17
Saturday 5/18
Monday 5/20
Tuesday 5/21
Wednesday 5/22
Yeah, for whatever reason LH started giving away the store tonight. There's still a seat left on the date I snagged 2.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Someone else (or maybe one of you?) just blogged about this ;-) http://www.weflyfree.com/switched-to-lufthansa-first/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.