Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Gold - miles vs. comfort

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nyfirefly11
Wait, how does Global Entry give you pre-check status no matter what carrier? I actually have it already. Can I fly JetBlue, for example, but still go through the pre-check line?
It's independent of the carrier in the sense of applying for any airline that has an arrangement with TSA to share data for the purpose of granting PreCheck to passengers. You need to enter your GE number in the appropriate trusted traveler area of your airline's website and probably agree for them to share the data with TSA.

This works when you're flying another carrier that gives PreCheck to its elites, but there may be airlines not yet in the system with TSA. Perhaps JetBlue is one of them.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
With Global Entry membership, you get a "Trusted Traveler Number." Enter this into the correct field when you book a flight on any U.S. airline for a domestic flight.
Just keep in mind that not all airlines support precheck yet (not sure about B6).

Also note that precheck will not work if you are traveling internationally.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
With Global Entry membership, you get a "Trusted Traveler Number." Enter this into the correct field when you book a flight on any U.S. airline for a domestic flight.
Only if your airline participates. Southwest, for one, does not yet.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Good call - I forget they charge. Ha.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If you believe can easily use miles you accrue on VS to upgrade PE->UC (and have experience that shows this to be the case, and the copay isn't too dear), and it's not been too difficult for you to be in E+ seats on your domestic flights, I have to firmly disagree with the consensus here. Stick with VS on longhaul if it works with your travel patterns. Do the upgrades to UC only cost miles, with no cash copay (this is a definite consideration)?

You're basically trading flights in business class and a better coach experience on longer flights for mediocre lounges and a 25% RDM bonus (on an airline where award availability is evaporating), plus some exemptions from UA fees and better E+ availability Rotten trade IMO (the longhaul flights are the ones you want better experiences on, short flights are very survivable even in E-, and F upgrades on shorthaul are also no big deal). UA Premier Gold doesn't get you longhaul upgrades, and you can get lounge access through AMEX or other means (a modest amount of cash), even overseas.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would stay with UA. I flew VS PE for the first time last year and was not impressed. EWR-LHR is easily my favorite flight, and in E+ I find nothing to complain about.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Virgin has OW upgrades from 10-20k miles, but they only allow you to upgrade with certain full-fare classes. So to London, my fare is S, which would be eligible, but coming back, it's K, which wouldn't be. Plus, they still charge you taxes, which start at $250. They're award flights start at 35K, which isn't bad, but with $700 in taxes (not sure how UA does taxes on international award flights).

I've actually done is route on UA in E+, and it really wasn't bad. I just haven't done PE on VS.

It looks like I'll be earning almost 10k miles on my VS flight, plus another thousand from the hotel I'm staying at. They're mileage booster seems pretty good too, at $0.025 per mile, so I could add an extra 7k for $120 or so. Also, I can transfer the miles to HHonors at 1:2, so 10k from VS would be 20k with Hilton (though I think they devalued recently for their redemptions). But that at least gives me something to do with the miles on the initial flight, if I decide to go with UA after that.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Personally I would stick with UA just for *G benefits and lounge access.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bmr12
Only if your airline participates. Southwest, for one, does not yet.
Originally Posted by edcho
Just keep in mind that not all airlines support precheck yet (not sure about B6).

Also note that precheck will not work if you are traveling internationally.
JetBlue does not yet participate with pre.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:57 pm
brg

OK, so it sounds like I should keep my current flight on Virgin (non-refundable with a $275 change fee), but fly UA for the rest of my trips to get Gold.
Then the question is, do I earn Flying Club miles to use for a later flight with them or Virgin America, or do I earn with Dividend Miles then transfer those to UA?
Virgin gives you the benefits up front like a better seat and better service.
UA gives you benefits later after suffering in Y, like lounge access and *A awards.
AFAIK, virgin had huge fees when I tried to redeem via Amex.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I'm currently a Silver member with about 9700 PQMs and 9.5 PQSs. With the travel that I'm planning for the remainder of the year, I should reach Silver again for 2014 (4-5 RTs from EWR to ATL, prob EWR to SLC and EWR to SFO, plus maybe one or two more).

I also have an opportunity to fly EWR to LHR, at least once in June, but mostly likely again in Q3 and Q4, paid for by my company. If I fly United for those routes, I have a good chance of getting to Gold. I'd be able to do Econ Plus, so at least I'd have a little extra legroom, and I'd be flying the 752s most likely.

The other option is to fly with someone like Virgin Atlantic, where I can do Premium Economy on A340s and 747s. (I'm flying with them at the end of this month to try it out).

The question is, what makes more sense? With Virgin, I get a few inches extra of pitch and width, most likely a better meal (though who knows), and a little more room on the a/c to move around (they have a bar). I'll accrue miles with Virgin, which means I'll have enough for probably a free economy ticket to Europe, or a few Business upgrades.

If I go with United, I could reach Gold for 2014, do economy plus (hopefully the exit row), go through TSA pre (at least in EWR), and there's always the possibility that I get an upgrade, though I don't know how likely that is.

Any thoughts? What would you do?
E+ and Virgin PE are not comparable products.

PE gives you a better better check-in, a much better seat, better booze (i.e. free and better then VS E) and more VS miles (if that concerns you).

E+ is just a few inches of legroom. Row 7 on the 752 gives unlimited legroom, but bring a blanket as it can be cold up there.

You're chance of an op-up on UA is, in my experience <5%. Depending on your fare you can spend miles+$$ and have a reasonable chance of snagging an u/g to BF.

My more limited experience of VS PE is that you can have a better chance of an op-up to Upper Class from PE.

*But* if you are chasing status, then sucking it up and flying UA metal to make gold in 2014 is the thing to do.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I have struggled with the 'invest in status for the future' vs 'have comfort NOW'- lately, have been going with comfort over status. Life is short; and loyalty programs seem to change frequently. Rather than chasing alliance loyalty, investigate a solid credit card for useable points/status linked items like lounge access.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I guess it comes down to comfort vs. status.

I have the ME Card, but I guess I could get the Club card at some point. I could also get *Gold status via Aegean or Asiana, which I think have lower thresholds. Though I don't know what that then would get me on UA, besides priority access.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yeah, I guess it comes down to comfort vs. status.

I have the ME Card, but I guess I could get the Club card at some point. I could also get *Gold status via Aegean or Asiana, which I think have lower thresholds. Though I don't know what that then would get me on UA, besides priority access.
Be careful with Aegean. Most do Aegean "once" as a trick to get domestic lounge access for free, but not as their primary FF account.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:52 pm
brg

Originally Posted by aacharya
Be careful with Aegean. Most do Aegean "once" as a trick to get domestic lounge access for free, but not as their primary FF account.
You also get 3 bags of 70 lbs free on every *A flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.