Wiki Posts
Search

UA Y Reward trip to FRA

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Silver
UA Y Reward trip to FRA

Looking to do a reward trip to FRA this summer and having a stop over in ATL to visit family. Flying out of EWR-ATL. The flight options from ATL-FRA are limited to only 4 options while in the "Multiple Destination." While searching ATL-FRA round trip, there are many different options.
What would be the best experience in Y to FRA from the following:
AC: via YYZ on CRJ700 and 77W
UA: via ORD on 737-800 and PMUA 772
via IAH on CRJ700 and PMCO 772

On the return, was hoping to fly LH into EWR. But there are no seats, is it still possible for reward seats to open, or too late?

Dates: 7/2-7/24

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA/ORD for E+ and shorter flight time
Old May 4, 2013, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
...and shorter flight time
Though if you want to have a chance to sleep some prefer the longer flight time.

If there are options showing on a regular search which aren't showing on the multi-city you should be able to get them booked over the phone. Might be worth it if it is a better flight option.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Definitely still time for LH seats to open up - maybe book a UA connection routing and keep watching for one of the three LH options (or UA) n/s into JFK/EWR.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone! Would I have to buy up to E+, or would Premier Silver status cover this? Not sure if reward tickets include the comp. upgrade?

On the return the only flights available are AC thorough YYZ, or LH/UA through BOS. I'll take the 77W over the A340 any day!
Old May 4, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by daganderson
Thanks for the responses everyone! Would I have to buy up to E+, or would Premier Silver status cover this? Not sure if reward tickets include the comp. upgrade?

On the return the only flights available are AC thorough YYZ, or LH/UA through BOS. I'll take the 77W over the A340 any day!
You'll be able to get E+ at checkin, just as with a paid ticket.

Be careful on those AC 777s. They are going 3-4-3, which is a lot tighter than the 2-4-2 on the A340s. Not sure how quickly the rollout is happening but you could be in for an unpleasant surprise (I spent ORD-AUH on a Etihad 777 in 3-4-3 and it was miserable).
Old May 4, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
LH Y is horrible- 31" pitch and hot cabins with no individual air nozzles. I wouldn't go out of my way to switch to it (I would cheerfully take DL Y over LH Y longhaul any day of the week). There is no amount of decent German beer to make up for this.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
LH Y is horrible- 31" pitch and hot cabins with no individual air nozzles.
Many sCO cabins have the same issue.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
just flew iah-fra. over on ua and back on lh 380 in y. i enjoyed that much more than ua. seat more comfortable, food was better, and had no issues with temperature. 380 is a nice ride.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mduell
Many sCO cabins have the same issue.
With E+, though.

Originally Posted by bearkatt
just flew iah-fra. over on ua and back on lh 380 in y. i enjoyed that much more than ua. seat more comfortable, food was better, and had no issues with temperature. 380 is a nice ride.
OP is talking about an A340. I've been on that (an A388 for me means going to SFO or IAH and removes the nonstop). I stand by my assessment.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
LH Y is horrible- 31" pitch and hot cabins with no individual air nozzles. I wouldn't go out of my way to switch to it (I would cheerfully take DL Y over LH Y longhaul any day of the week). There is no amount of decent German beer to make up for this.
I flew EWR-FRA in March on the 744, and I can relate to how hot the cabin was! I can only imagine how warm it would be in July.

Out of the 3 nonstops to EWR from FRA. The options are UA: 752, 763 or LH 744. Would not like to do another TATL in the 752...Should they not be able to fill something larger, as it is a big Star Alliance hub to hub route?

Last year for a few months UA had 2x 777's to FRA from EWR. I think a sUA 777 is entering in August.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daganderson
I flew EWR-FRA in March on the 744, and I can relate to how hot the cabin was! I can only imagine how warm it would be in July. ....
considering the outside air temp is -35 to -40C even in July, doubt there will be much difference in July from March.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
considering the outside air temp is -35 to -40C even in July, doubt there will be much difference in July from March.
I meant, during boarding. Once enroute, it was fine.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by IADOrange
You'll be able to get E+ at checkin, just as with a paid ticket.

Be careful on those AC 777s. They are going 3-4-3, which is a lot tighter than the 2-4-2 on the A340s. Not sure how quickly the rollout is happening but you could be in for an unpleasant surprise (I spent ORD-AUH on a Etihad 777 in 3-4-3 and it was miserable).
The 3-4-3 config on AC will roll out on YUL-CDG to start. The YYZ-FRA route is a premium route for AC so unlikely to be 3-4-3 unless equipment change due to mechanical.
Old May 5, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
What about the SQ flight from JFK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.