Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is SFO-YYZ considered international for stopover purposes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

A newbie here...

I have a flight that I booked using award miles SFO-YYZ roundtrip. After reading a bunch of threads here on stopovers and award flights, it seems like I should be able to change the award ticket to SFO-YYZ-SFO (stopover 6 months)-SEA to get an additional one-way trip to Seattle. I'd have to pay the award ticket change fee of $25 as Gold since the destination is changing.

When I tried to call in to United to make this change, I was told that the only way I could do a stopover is SFO-YYZ-SEA (stopover)-SFO.

Is this just an uninformed agent or is there something I've missed? She also mentioned that stopovers on domestic itineraries are not allowed but am I wrong in assuming SFO-YYZ is considered international for the purposes of award travel despite departing from the domestic terminal?

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leonardc9
.....am I wrong in assuming SFO-YYZ is considered international for the purposes of award travel despite departing from the domestic terminal?....
Mileage Plus doesn't use domestic/international as separate categories. It is in the same Mileage Plus award region.

A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the mainland U.S., Alaska and Canada.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...vel/types.aspx
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I am afraid they are right in this case.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Bummer - so basically I'd need to be traveling across two regions outside of the US to take advantage of the stopover and open jaw policy to add on SEA. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by leonardc9
Bummer - so basically I'd need to be traveling across two regions outside of the US to take advantage of the stopover and open jaw policy to add on SEA. Thanks guys.
Isn't it also because you're transiting back through your origin first?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aacharya
Isn't it also because you're transiting back through your origin first?
Nope. Ive done PHL-XYZ-FRA-PHL (4 months)-LAX ( XYZ was Over the Pond) used UA miles not a problem at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.