Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United baggage fee waiver with Aeroplan status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I have a few questions, recently booked a BUF-LAS (united) LAS -YYZ (westjet) flight through united, I was under the impression that westjet didn't charge baggage fees but upon contacting united they said US marketing law says you have to pay baggage fees due to me purchasing the flight through united . Angry as this is 50$ that i could have spent on something else. So now I have to pay 100$ for baggage for 2 people both ways.

Is there any way I can add my dads Aeroplan FF to my united reservation online and then doing the machine check in? (same last name, and he has enough points to be *alliance silver I think).

Alternatively since i'm Canadian and i can't sign up for the united CC (you have to live in the States) can I sign up for an American Express aeroplan platinum (499$ annual fee) but i get 40,000 aeroplan miles bonus = at least silver status. Use it to get my free bags by adding the aeroplan number to my reservation and then cancelling the CC after a month (this would cost me 40$ as the fee is prorated).

Or any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have edited the thread Title to more accurately explain the question, as I understand it -and- I have moved the thread from the broad MilesBuzz! forum to the United forum where someone will know if UA extends reciprocal fee waivers to AC elite flyers.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a little confused. You have no status in Aeroplan or United? You have no Star Alliance status? You want to use you fathers status to avoid a baggage fee? Yes, same name but not really legal. Do those 40,000 Aeroplan points give you status? Usually CC bonus points are just reward points and have nothing to do with status. Unless this card is special.

For the United flight unless you have status or Star Alliance status you will have to pay baggage fees. For the return WestJet flight just call them and see if they charge baggage fees, either they do or they don't doesn't matter who sold you the ticket (as far as I know) if they are the first flight of that directions itinerary.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Forget adding your dad's number. If you're caught (computers are smart, unless you share the same name) he may lose miles/status/etc.

The Amex idea, if you can do it in time, works.

Or I dunno, carry-on?

Baze - be careful of what you write. Read up on the DOT law first.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:48 am

Why not just carry on your luggage? I can't imagine needing very much for Vegas anyways. I've brought two weeks worth of stuff spanning multiple continents of travel in a 22" carry-on with room to spare.

Regardless, since UA doesn't even codeshare with WS you shouldn't have to pay anything on the way back to check your luggage with WestJet. Only on the way out.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Forget adding your dad's number. If you're caught (computers are smart, unless you share the same name) he may lose miles/status/etc.

The Amex idea, if you can do it in time, works.

Or I dunno, carry-on?

Baze - be careful of what you write. Read up on the DOT law first.
As far as I know falsely using someone else's identity is illegal. Unless you are referring to something else I wrote.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
As far as I know falsely using someone else's identity is illegal. Unless you are referring to something else I wrote.
Something else. About first carrier.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something else. About first carrier.
Interesting, when I have bought tickets or check in UA states baggage fees are based on the carrier you check in with. For example, I recently flew SFO-IAD-AMS-ARN all UA except AMS-ARN, that was SAS. UA stated I had 3 bags up to 70 pounds free. For my return it was ARN-OSL-EWR-SFO with the first leg SAS and rest UA. It was clearly posted on the UA site I was bound by the SAS (in this case Star Alliance) rules which is 1 (or was it 2) bags up to 50 pounds (actually whatever the kilo equivalent is). Please post a link to what you are referring to so I can be better educated?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I was thinking that the "dominant carrier" rules might apply here, but realizing that this is effectively a round trip and not a connection, wouldn't the rules for baggage fees be determined by the carrier operating each segment? (Meaning that UA would change the baggage fee for the BUF-LAS segment, but Westjet's rules would apply for LAS-YYZ?)

And since when does UA have a direct flight from BUF to LAS?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Interesting, when I have bought tickets or check in UA states baggage fees are based on the carrier you check in with. For example, I recently flew SFO-IAD-AMS-ARN all UA except AMS-ARN, that was SAS. UA stated I had 3 bags up to 70 pounds free. For my return it was ARN-OSL-EWR-SFO with the first leg SAS and rest UA. It was clearly posted on the UA site I was bound by the SAS (in this case Star Alliance) rules which is 1 (or was it 2) bags up to 50 pounds (actually whatever the kilo equivalent is). Please post a link to what you are referring to so I can be better educated?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-fee-rule.html

See post #10.

DOT regulations for US ticketing trump IATA. So technically in OP's case, UA, not as first carrier, but as defined "marketing carrier" rules apply.

In most cases, it doesn't matter or apply.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:46 pm

I would be surprised if Westjet charges a fee for the first bag on this booking. The OP could always call Westjet to double check.

AMEX or other CC accumulated miles do not count toward status on AC. Also, AC does not recognize early status for *S. it would only kick in in March of 2014.

Using someone else's FF is not a good idea for the same reasons others have mentioned, especially as the stakes at so low.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-fee-rule.html

See post #10.

DOT regulations for US ticketing trump IATA. So technically in OP's case, UA, not as first carrier, but as defined "marketing carrier" rules apply.

In most cases, it doesn't matter or apply.
So technically the OP should pay a baggage fee on WestJet even though they don't charge baggage fees because the rules of the marketing carrier apply and UA applies baggage fees. Though we all know it won't (or shouldn't) happen. WestJet won't charge them a fee if they don't charge anybody a fee.

But getting out of paying the UA baggage fee is another whole thing for the OP.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Yeah i called UA and they said due to some DOT law the marketing carrier determines the charges... im going to call westjet to confirm, does that mean im gonna pony up 100$ in baggage fees in buffalo or 50$ and then 50$ at westjet counter on way back? The reason im taking 1 bag each is were also visiting grandcanyon for 2 nights camping so the tent and light weight sleeping bags are coming for a ride hehe...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by staffpro
Yeah i called UA and they said due to some DOT law the marketing carrier determines the charges... im going to call westjet to confirm, does that mean im gonna pony up 100$ in baggage fees in buffalo or 50$ and then 50$ at westjet counter on way back? The reason im taking 1 bag each is were also visiting grandcanyon for 2 nights camping so the tent and light weight sleeping bags are coming for a ride hehe...
If WestJet does not charge baggage fees they are not going to go out of their way to make you pay something they don't charge for. They wouldn't be sending the money to UA. The rule is in place for the opposite scenario. You buy from WestJet and fly outbound on WestJet with no fee and then on the return UA should not charge you either as WestJet is the marketing carrier and they don't charge baggage fees. So it would be $50 in BUF for the 2 bags. And make sure you check one each. One person with 2 bags would be a first bag then a second bag charge which I think is more than the first bag.

Last edited by Baze; Apr 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by staffpro
Yeah i called UA and they said due to some DOT law the marketing carrier determines the charges... im going to call westjet to confirm, does that mean im gonna pony up 100$ in baggage fees in buffalo or 50$ and then 50$ at westjet counter on way back? The reason im taking 1 bag each is that we're also visiting grandcanyon for 2 nights camping so the tent and light weight sleeping bags are coming for a ride hehe...
That "some DOT" law is the one I quoted.

You can call WestJet all you want. It's confirmed here by the actual regulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.