Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Long After Takeoff Can I Put Down My Bed in C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Long After Takeoff Can I Put Down My Bed in C?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by edcho
I asked in a different forum (UA though) about when I could put my seat back (as I was pissed off at a pax behind me) and was told officially that it was at 10,000 feet (the same time when you can use electronics).
And the most peculiar thing is that it's 10,000 feet MSL (above mean sea level), not 10,000 above the ground. When operating in and out of places such as DEN you have only half the distance and time to get there. And coming out of LPB, where the airport elevation is well over 10,000 MSL, you're out of the sterile zone at wheels up.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wheels up
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Wheels up
Yes, at wheels up is the right answer.

There are two reasons for having the seats upright at take off...and landing.

First is if there must be an emergency departure from the aircraft during the takeoff phase (e.g. being on the ground in an unplanned situation) then the access to the exits must not be impeded. A reclined seat restricts the path for those passengers not seated on the aisle.

Second is that if there were a crash landing at take off (that's also an unplanned event), then the, "for your safety", phrase kicks in as the seat belts are most effective when the seats are upright.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
I'll usually get my feet up and myself in a half-recline as soon as I board. 30 minutes later when they're ready to close the door and taxi, I'll bring everything upright as requested, then back into a recline or flat bed as soon as we're off the ground
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:12 pm

If I'm in the last row of F/C my seat reclines as soon as the f/a's are harnessed in their jump-seats. (i.e. very soon after the Smisek b.s.newsreel).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 25, 2013 at 5:06 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:28 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Posters so far seem to assume the double chime is at 10,000 feet. It's rather more than that!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Can we talk about shoes?

I always take off my shoes upon boarding, stow them away and don the little socks you get in the amenity kit.

One random FA once instructed me to put my shoes back on in case of an emergency.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I leave my shoes on until about 5000 ft, in case there's an emergency and I need to exit quickly. I wouldn't want to be futzing with shoes instead of bracing for impact while Sully's ditching us in the Hudson.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
I leave my shoes on until about 5000 ft, in case there's an emergency and I need to exit quickly. I wouldn't want to be futzing with shoes instead of bracing for impact while Sully's ditching us in the Hudson.
I have no problem laying my seat back as soon as the wheels are up, but I keep my shoes on for quite a while. Never know what's going to happen.

Billy
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Come to think of it, I have never seen any written regulation or guideline, nor heard any verbal announcement, regarding when the "takeoff" phase has concluded for the purpose of reclining seats. My assumption has always been that it's at wheels-up.

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
And the most peculiar thing is that it's 10,000 feet MSL (above mean sea level), not 10,000 above the ground. When operating in and out of places such as DEN you have only half the distance and time to get there. And coming out of LPB, where the airport elevation is well over 10,000 MSL, you're out of the sterile zone at wheels up.
I have always wondered whether it's AGL or MSL. Thanks for demystifying that. ^
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What wheels up is everyone referring to? When the wheels leave the ground or when the wheels are retraced into the wheel wells. Wheels up means different things to different people.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
That would generally be a difference of a few seconds. I'm seldom so anxious to recline as to do so at the exact moment of liftoff.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
No matter in C or F, I generally recline the seat within 1-2 minutes after takeoff. I've never been scolded. Although I'm also not sure any FA's really noticed given they are sitting at that time in the galleys. I've never been in line of site with an FA while they were seated to test out their reaction when the visual evidence is obvious.

I've done this on NH and UA consistently. Interestingly, as another datapoint, once when flying China Air, departing from Shenzen in C, we sat on the tarmac late at night for at least 30 minutes at which point my colleague and I both fully reclined our seats and promptly passed out with seat belts fastened.

When we both woke up a couple hours later, we were mid flight with blankets having been draped over us and our fully reclined seats never having moved a peep during further taxing, take off or anything else! That was some good service, albeit perhaps at the slight cost of some safety.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
That would generally be a difference of a few seconds. I'm seldom so anxious to recline as to do so at the exact moment of liftoff.
Based on some of the posts above seconds matter
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I believe you are incorrect on that. It's 10,000 feet above ground level (AGL).

Don't suppose you have a citation to a contrary controlling authority on the subject?

Originally Posted by 1P
Posters so far seem to assume the double chime is at 10,000 feet. It's rather more than that!
True in every case in which the departure airport is above sea level.

Originally Posted by milepig
Can we talk about shoes?

I always take off my shoes upon boarding, stow them away and don the little socks you get in the amenity kit.

One random FA once instructed me to put my shoes back on in case of an emergency.
It's not a legal requirement, but a pretty good idea if there is a need for rapid departure from an airplane.

Originally Posted by mduell
I'm happy with taking them off anytime after takeoff. By the time the wheels are up, you are doing about 200 miles an hour. If the plane tries to settle back down at that point, it's not going to matter if you have shoes on or not.

Originally Posted by Baze
What wheels up is everyone referring to? When the wheels leave the ground or when the wheels are retraced into the wheel wells. Wheels up means different things to different people.
True. From a passenger perspective, either is fine for reclining since there is not going to be a survivable "landing" at that point anyway. If you are going around for a controlled landing, then you will have time to put the seat back up.

From the cockpit perspective, wheels up is when the wheels have fully retracted and the wheel well doors have closed (showing all green lights on the instrument panel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.